building CRM addons using HTML5 or Sliverlight ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

There are few add-ons that we are planning to build for CRM. However at this point I am not sure as whether to use HTML5 or Silverlight?

This is because there is a commercial value attached with the addons as there is lot of efforts that go in building these...so is it possible to stop anyone from copying the addons that we build using HTML5 and JS? ...

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:55 PM

Answers

• You certainly could look at minifying or "uglifying" your scripts to make it more difficult, but someone can still enter the URL for the web resource file once the solution is installed and see the content. Chances are if they wanted to reverse engineer your code, they will be able to. 

Silverlight might be a better choice - as your code ends up being compiled and then you can add in potentially using a code obfuscator. 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

• Proposed as answer by tmorrisy Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by S Ballani Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:57 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:20 PM

All replies

• You certainly could look at minifying or "uglifying" your scripts to make it more difficult, but someone can still enter the URL for the web resource file once the solution is installed and see the content. Chances are if they wanted to reverse engineer your code, they will be able to. 

Silverlight might be a better choice - as your code ends up being compiled and then you can add in potentially using a code obfuscator. 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

• Proposed as answer by tmorrisy Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by S Ballani Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:57 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Further to Jason's comment - you might also like to consider that Silverlight support is slated to be deprecated in future versions since Microsoft have stopped further development of Silverlight, it won't always work on all browsers now that there is cross browser support.

I did a couple of posts on this subject last year:

http://www.develop1.net/public/post/The-future-of-Silverlight-for-Dynamics-CRM.aspx

http://www.develop1.net/public/post/Cross-browser-support-from-CRM2011-Coming-Soon.aspx

Personally I love Silverlight - it's productivity gains, visuals and the ability to build using C# and the .NET framework.

I still hold out hope that Silverlight will be resurrected and there will be a U-turn in strategy!! 

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:50 PM
    Answerer