Vista RC1 not genuine message RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Vista RC1 on my PC about couple of weeks back and never had time to work on it later. When I installed, I am sure, I had selected automatic updates and activation ON.
    Today, when I tried to boot the Vista RC1, it gave me an error message saying that it needs to activate the vista. I clicked on the link on the message, and went to microsoft site. I clicked on Validate Vista, it gives unknown error.
    And my control panel and some other tabs are not working. Looks like they have been disabled. I am sure, I worked on the same vista two weeks back for quite some time, without any problem. I have installed Firefox as the only extra application.
    Is there anything I can do to get the Vista RC1 get validated and start using it again ?
    Monday, October 9, 2006 11:39 PM

Answers

• Arif,

It appears that for some reason that the grace period (14 days) has expired and the system has become unlicensed. Please logoff and logon. You will be blocked at logon with an option to activate online among other ways to activate. This should unblock you.

-Srikanth

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 4:30 AM

All replies

• Arif,

It appears that for some reason that the grace period (14 days) has expired and the system has become unlicensed. Please logoff and logon. You will be blocked at logon with an option to activate online among other ways to activate. This should unblock you.

-Srikanth

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 4:30 AM
  • I have the same issue. Same build. Control panel not responding, Defender saying it needs updates but cant because Windows needs to be validated and Aero functionality is disabled with the same message. When i went to validate through help and support (I was not presented with any validation option at logon) it says my copy was validated successfully. I can now access Control Panel but Aero functionality is still disabled as is updates for Defender. Any way to resolve this issue?

EDIT:  This install definitely sat for more than 14 days unused on this drive.  Logon and off, reboot and shutdown did not resolve the issue initially;however,after another shutdown and then logoff and logon the "not genuine" message has disappeared and updates became available again. Thank you

Monday, October 16, 2006 6:50 PM