jmicron problems with sata drives and vail RRS feed

• Question

• I have an msi 790-gd70 motherboard with a jmicron JMB322 sata controller for sata ports 7&8 with two Western Digital wd20ears 2T drives.  My choices in bios are ide and ahci and normal drive, stripe 0, stripe 1, jbod.  None of the combinations will give 4T of drive space.  Sata ports 1-6 are on an AMD SD750 controller and work fine.

AHCI      all       - drives do not show up                   

IDE        Normal - gives me 2T only

IDE        Raid 0 - gives me 130000GB which I can't initialize

IDE        Raid 1 - did not try as it will only give 2T

IDE        GBOD - gives me 2T which I can't initialize

Anybody else have a similar problem with a secondary controller  with two drives?  Any suggestions?

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, November 15, 2010 2:00 PM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server & Windows Home Server "Vail" Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 10:19 PM

Answers

• You may need to supply additional drivers for your jmicron controller to use AHCI.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 15, 2010 1:59 PM

All replies

• You may need to supply additional drivers for your jmicron controller to use AHCI.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 15, 2010 1:59 PM
  • I contacted MSI who directed me to a file on their website that is not readily apparent with these instructions which solved the problem.

1.First of all, please make a booting USB.
    2.Next copy“AFUD4310 ” and “A7577AMS.1G1” into USB.
    3.After that, restart PC, press F11, choose USB booting under “boot sequence”.
    4.Under DOS mode, please type “AFUD4310 A7577AMS.1G1”(without the quotation marks)and it will be updated successfully!!

Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Ahh, the old BIOS update trick :)
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:36 PM