none
Backup over internet? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Is it possible to back up to a WHS server from a remote machine?
    I'd like to back my mom's machine up to the WHS, but as she lives in her own house, I don't want to rely on her bringing it over to back up.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Alex
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:01 PM

Answers

• I asked a similar question, because I would like to backup my sisters computer (I take care of it)... It looks like it is possible with a VPN connection or Hamachi (sp?)... though it is not possible from default setup (read below). I think this would be excellent for those of us who are the IT staff for our families (parents, siblings, grand parents). I have logmein on about 10computers now for family and friends. So I would love it if I could have computers turn on in the middle of the night and just back up to my server. I don't care about remote restore, because those computers would come to me to be fixed anyway.

This was the answer I was given... http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/2d4776d5-e45b-4bf9-bde2-2617203eb12a

"
    There is no supported method.  As Leo said, it can be done through VPN (or Hamachi or something similar), but backing up remotely serves no real purpose as you can't restore remotely (plus bandwidth through the internet will be infinitely slower than locally).

"

• Marked as answer by Alex Chard Thursday, July 23, 2009 5:32 AM
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:40 PM

All replies

• I asked a similar question, because I would like to backup my sisters computer (I take care of it)... It looks like it is possible with a VPN connection or Hamachi (sp?)... though it is not possible from default setup (read below). I think this would be excellent for those of us who are the IT staff for our families (parents, siblings, grand parents). I have logmein on about 10computers now for family and friends. So I would love it if I could have computers turn on in the middle of the night and just back up to my server. I don't care about remote restore, because those computers would come to me to be fixed anyway.

This was the answer I was given... http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/2d4776d5-e45b-4bf9-bde2-2617203eb12a

"
    There is no supported method.  As Leo said, it can be done through VPN (or Hamachi or something similar), but backing up remotely serves no real purpose as you can't restore remotely (plus bandwidth through the internet will be infinitely slower than locally).

"

• Marked as answer by Alex Chard Thursday, July 23, 2009 5:32 AM
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I doubt I'll go ahead purely for bandwidth reasons, but it's good to know
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 5:33 AM