WLOC not starting properly after 2.0.2318.12 Update RRS feed

• Question

• The update to 2.0.2318.12 went fairly smoothly, with one XP machine and one Vista machine working normally afterwards.

However, on my XP based hub PC, WLOC service will not start on machine boot up. I get the Security warning that my firewall and antivirus are not on.  The green WLOC logo is not found in the system tray.

The work around is to go to Services, and manually start the Windows Live OneCare service (winss), after which WLOC runs normally.  The service is set to start automatically, but does not, and is not running when I open the Service panel.

Anyone else seeing this or have a solution?
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please file a bug on Connect:  https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:00 PM
  • Thanks Stephan ,will do, but last time I did this is was a black hole, no response, not even an acknowledgement...Connect seems even less active than this board.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:45 PM
  • I guess I should update the FAQ. When you file a bug on Connect, you are providing your data to Microsoft to investigate and try to replicate the problem and then fix it before release. Typically, you will only be contacted if they need more information from you. It may seem like a black hole, but everything submitted on Connect is reviewed and processed. It is the best way to provide details about a problem you encountered. It would not be the way to get help with fixing it. Since you had a workaround, I didn't suggest contacting support, though that is also an option. Since I haven't experienced the problem, I can't offer a solution, but posting here in the forum is good as someone else may have encountered the same problem and can offer one. If that happens, we (or you) would unmark the "submit a bug report" post as the answer and mark the post with the actual solution that worked as the answer.

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:06 PM
  • I already started a bug and Updated to 2.0.2318.12 xp not liking wloc on start up at all

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:09 PM
  • Yea, I am having the same issue. I tried starting the service though and WLOC will still give me the error message that the service is not working or has stopped. This was after the update. I'm running WinXP Pro 32.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Update:

After a few days of starting OneCare by manually starting the service, this eventually began to fail as well. Oddly, on startup, many apps could not connect to the interent, until I manually started the OneCare service, which would quickly fail, but once the service was started manually, apps could connect, so there is some firewall issue here.

Anyway, I was no longer able to start OneCare at all, therefore could not get any updates. So I uninstalled OneCare using the Add/Remove Programs (not the tools mentioned on the forum), then reinstalled. After reinstalling, OneCare was not behaving properly, primarily it was unable to see or add any other PCs in the Circle, and it crashed a few times. I then downloaded a tool posted by MS and discussed on the forum that eliminates install issue (DS cleanup of some sort). After running this tool, OneCare behaved normally, and is back to working as before the update.

So it appears that a full uninstall, reinstall and db tool cleanup worked for me...otherwise known elsewhere as the 'hammer approach'.  It appears that OneCare 2.0 will be in beta for some time to come....
    Friday, August 31, 2007 3:53 PM
  • well, sad to say, I was incorrect. The old problem has re-emerged. No new software added to my PC since the reinstall, and after working fine for 3 days, WLOC now no longer starts, but now I get a "firewall off' warning from XP, and have to start WLOC manually.  Perhaps virus updates are causing this? Anyway, assume it will get steadily worse until it crashes on starts....sigh...
    Monday, September 3, 2007 1:14 PM
  •  

cwn,

Your problem looks similar to what I have experienced with OneCare before the server outage, except I cannot start OneCare services manually. In the Event Viewer I have Event ID 1000 and 1001.

Missed the problem that many had when the server was offline, only because I don’t have the pc’s configured in the OneCare Circle and I am doing no backups, (configured this way allows OneCare services to start normally on both of my computers) for now.

Filed a bug report a day or so before the server outage and if your problem is the same as mine then I am unaware of a fix yet.

Knightsky

Monday, September 3, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Well the 2.0.2350.10 update seems to have fixed this mysterious startup issue for me. My computer started up for the first time in weeks without a WLOC error message...
    Saturday, September 15, 2007 12:53 AM
  •  cwm wrote:
    Well the 2.0.2350.10 update seems to have fixed this mysterious startup issue for me. My computer started up for the first time in weeks without a WLOC error message...

Excellent!

-steve

Saturday, September 15, 2007 1:05 AM
  • After 3 days of working perfectly, the old startup gremlin is back again. No longer starts with windows, and firewall errors pop up...oh well 
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 1:14 AM
  •  cwm wrote:
    After 3 days of working perfectly, the old startup gremlin is back again. No longer starts with windows, and firewall errors pop up...oh well 

I would ask that you either update the original bug you filed for this issue with comments explaining that the problem returned. If you can create and save the OneCare Support logs zip file, that would be great.

I would then suggest uninstalling and reinstalling when you ahve a chance.

-steve

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:40 PM