Backup Service fails / Errors 272, 267, 1280 after Cleanup started RRS feed

• Question

•  

Please help!!

My WHS did run smoothly the last months, no problems at all. This morning when I started my workstation, the whs connector icon was red.

The Backup Service fails to start. A server reboot and a manual start of the service were not successful.

Here are some error examples from the event log (they did appear about one hour after the backup cleanup cycle has started). It is always about these two files: Index.4096.dat and diskfile.cpp

Code Snippet

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 272
    Date:  24.02.2008
    Time:  08:05:08
    User:  N/A
    Computer: ASTERIX
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x26 from unexpected EOF on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Index.4096.dat: Reached the end of the file.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Code Snippet

Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 267
    Time:  08:05:08
    Description:
    Client Backup server failed at d:\qhsv1_rtm_qfe\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(359)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Code Snippet

Event Category: PersistentDriveLetter
    Event ID: 1280
    Time:  08:06:12
    Description:
    Persistent Drive Letter Service failed: Starting service: No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.

And so on. I have did some searches in the forum, but were not lucky to find the right information. My disks seems to be ok, at least there are no errors in the system eventlog nor in the WHS console storage pool.

What has happened and how to fix that??

Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:51 AM

Answers

• Apparently one of the files of your client backup database (Index.4096.dat) got corrupted. It's hard to tell what caused this. Often it's a hard reboot / power failure at a time the file was open.

To fix this problem there's a few things you can do.

1. Delete all backups and start backups from scratch.

a. You can do this from the WHS console, settings menu, backup

b. This is probably the easiest, fastest and most secure solution.

2. Try fixing the error using the instructions in the thread Fixing Database Inconsistency errors

a. Only try this if you really can't afford to loose your backups

b. You should be able and trust yourself to do this on your own. It's very difficult to support you with this without having access to the machine.

c. Read the instructions very carefully before you start using them. Otherwise you may do more harm then good.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:57 PM
  • If that file has actually been corrupted, as brubber suggests (and I think that is the case) the instructions in the thread he linked will not work. The file would need to be repaired or rebuilt, and there are no tools to do so at this time. So paradoxically, I would start with those linked instructions, if you feel confident you can follow them carefully and completely. The harm they can do is to destroy your backup database, as long as you remain within the folders they mention, and that's where you likely are now.

Please let us know if they work, or if you wind up resetting your backup database.
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:17 PM

All replies

• Apparently one of the files of your client backup database (Index.4096.dat) got corrupted. It's hard to tell what caused this. Often it's a hard reboot / power failure at a time the file was open.

To fix this problem there's a few things you can do.

1. Delete all backups and start backups from scratch.

a. You can do this from the WHS console, settings menu, backup

b. This is probably the easiest, fastest and most secure solution.

2. Try fixing the error using the instructions in the thread Fixing Database Inconsistency errors

a. Only try this if you really can't afford to loose your backups

b. You should be able and trust yourself to do this on your own. It's very difficult to support you with this without having access to the machine.

c. Read the instructions very carefully before you start using them. Otherwise you may do more harm then good.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:57 PM
  • If that file has actually been corrupted, as brubber suggests (and I think that is the case) the instructions in the thread he linked will not work. The file would need to be repaired or rebuilt, and there are no tools to do so at this time. So paradoxically, I would start with those linked instructions, if you feel confident you can follow them carefully and completely. The harm they can do is to destroy your backup database, as long as you remain within the folders they mention, and that's where you likely are now.

Please let us know if they work, or if you wind up resetting your backup database.
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:17 PM
  • <sigh> I have thrown away all my backups. Not a good solution at all!

If this occured because one workstation was switched of or hung during a backup, than it is strongly required, that Microsoft improves the code to make it more robust !!!

It is inacceptable that one workstation issue is able to corrupt the whole database !!

At least a repair tool is required!

Anyway, thank you for your answer, it is green again now.  

Hope it will last now for longer.

(the more years I work with MS products, the better I learn, it is recommended to wait for Service Pack 1 before buying the product and put it into production...)

Sunday, February 24, 2008 6:02 PM
  •  Atrider2007 wrote:
    <sigh> I have thrown away all my backups. Not a good solution at all!

If this occured because one workstation was switched of or hung during a backup, than it is strongly required, that Microsoft improves the code to make it more robust !!!

It is inacceptable that one workstation issue is able to corrupt the whole database !!

At least a repair tool is required!

Anyway, thank you for your answer, it is green again now.  

Hope it will last now for longer.

(the more years I work with MS products, the better I learn, it is recommended to wait for Service Pack 1 before buying the product and put it into production...)

I can understand your frustration. Thing is if they make it more robust this probably also comes at a cost. There have already been quite a lot of discussions on this and related topics on this forum, however in the end you have to live with the choices MS and / or the WHS team make. The client backup database provides a very fast and efficient way of backing up your clients at the cost of zero redundancy. This makes it very vulnerable by nature.

I agree with you that there should be some repair option, and when thinking a little bit further I think I found a way to do this. At least if you haven't rebooted recently and if you don't have HP mediasmart. *)

Sometime ago there was a discussion in another thread about shadow copies. At some point I mentioned that whenever windows 2003 / WHS takes a snaphot this is always done on the complete volume, so not just on the shares. As you will probably know these snaphots (shadow copies) allow you to view and restore previous copies of files / folders from a shared folder. Now in theory if you share a folder that was previously unshared you will also be able to see the previous copies from that share! (at least that's the way it's supposed to work on W2K3)

Since I'm really unhappy with the solution of having to delete the database to recover from corruption I have now put this to the test, and low and behold, the theory works!! All I did was enable sharing for the folder D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} and after that I was actually able to restore a previous version of the complete backup database. (After deliberately corrupting a file in my current backup database I copied a previous version from 5 days ago to another instance of WHS I have running in a virtual machine. I was able to open the backups, restore files from them, and had a client running succesful backup on it)

I will soon (probably somewhere tomorrow) include a detailed instruction on how to do this in the thread Fixing Database Inconsistency errors

Personally I think the WHS team could put this feature to use to provide users with an option to restore a backup database from as many days as there are shadow copies available. I will post this suggestion in the Connect Website and post a link the Fixing Database Inconsistency errors thread so people can vote on it if they support this idea.

NOTE: I hope I'm still in time to help you fix your problem.

*) If you have rebooted there is a chance that due to some yet unresolved bug in WHS the shadow copies can no longer be accessed. On HP Mediasmart the automatic shadow copies by WHS have been disabled for some currently obscure reason. ( Although it's easy to enable them again)

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:06 PM
  • Hi Brubber,

thousand thanks for your detailed answer and ideas! It was somewhat too late, because I had thrown away my backup database. But, as the backup process seems to be quite fragile, it did happen today again: a backup of my XP station started, and one hour later I had a corruption: the XP power saving switched off the machine in the middle of a running backup! (see my new thread for further infos http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2904563&SiteID=50&mode=1).

Reg. VSS: I know about this pretty beautiful feature and did already used it to backup a running VMWare Server instance on a separate disk on my WHS. I will enable VSS for the C drive as well, good idea :-)

I desperately hope, MS will bring a Service Pack 1 within the next 6 months incl. all those fixes !!

Monday, February 25, 2008 8:51 PM
  •  Atrider2007 wrote:

Hi Brubber,

thousand thanks for your detailed answer and ideas! It was somewhat too late, because I had thrown away my backup database. But, as the backup process seems to be quite fragile, it did happen today again: a backup of my XP station started, and one hour later I had a corruption: the XP power saving switched off the machine in the middle of a running backup! (see my new thread for further infos http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2904563&SiteID=50&mode=1).

That really s***s

Atrider2007 wrote:
    Reg. VSS: I know about this pretty beautiful feature and did already used it to backup a running VMWare Server instance on a separate disk on my WHS. I will enable VSS for the C drive as well, good idea :-)

Not sure if this is a good idea. I don't know how vss handles the mountpoints (C:\fs\X).

Atrider2007 wrote:
    I desperately hope, MS will bring a Service Pack 1 within the next 6 months incl. all those fixes !!

Unless you deleted the complete folder I think the previous versions should still be there.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 10:07 PM
  • I think Atrider2007's issue isn't entirely with the automatic power-saving in XP, as I have an XP machine that has dropped into standby more than once during a backup and didn't corrupt the database. It messes up the backup that's running, of course...

Using Previous versions on C: is safe, but not neccessary in the WHS world. There's nothing on C: that you need previous versions of.

Previous versions will still be there even if you delete a folder. You just need to start a level up from where the folder was.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 10:58 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Previous versions will still be there even if you delete a folder. You just need to start a level up from where the folder was.

Thanks for the correction.

Monday, February 25, 2008 11:41 PM
  • Event Type: Error Event Source: HomeServer Event Category: Backup Event ID: 272 Date: 04/04/2009 Time: 11:48:49 User: N/A Computer: WHS6 Description: Unexpected error 0x6 from CreateFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\{084DF4A5-DF5A-4FD8-A1F1-4E58B2027515}.Machine.configdat: The handle is invalid. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. I am a new user to WHS and had this problem as soon as I got WHS installed and working on a self assembled system. The WHS backup service would not start. I tried deleting the commit.dat file is the above directory and got the useless "invalid file handle" message. I closed down whs and reloaded using an Ultimate Boot Disc CD ROM, to get at the file; which I deleted, and rebooted in WHS. That made no difference to the problem. WHS just created another commit.dat file which it again complained was corrupt! I went back to my trusty Ultimate Boot Disc CD ROM, again, and this time deleted the {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\{084DF4A5-DF5A-4FD8-A1F1-4E58B2027515} sub folder of D:\folders\ and rebooted into WHS again. This time the WHS backup service started OK and those annoying Event viewer messages went away. My first backup is running now, so far so good.. I think MS has some more work to do on this!
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Event Type: Error Event Source: HomeServer Event Category: Backup Event ID: 272 Date: 04/04/2009 Time: 11:48:49 User: N/A Computer: WHS6 Description: Unexpected error 0x6 from CreateFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\{084DF4A5-DF5A-4FD8-A1F1-4E58B2027515}.Machine.configdat: The handle is invalid. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. I am a new user to WHS and had this problem as soon as I got WHS installed and working on a self assembled system. The WHS backup service would not start. I tried deleting the commit.dat file is the above directory and got the useless "invalid file handle" message. I closed down whs and reloaded using an Ultimate Boot Disc CD ROM, to get at the file; which I deleted, and rebooted in WHS. That made no difference to the problem. WHS just created another commit.dat file which it again complained was corrupt! I went back to my trusty Ultimate Boot Disc CD ROM, again, and this time deleted the {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\{084DF4A5-DF5A-4FD8-A1F1-4E58B2027515} sub folder of D:\folders\ and rebooted into WHS again. This time the WHS backup service started OK and those annoying Event viewer messages went away. My first backup is running now, so far so good.. I think MS has some more work to do on this!
    Hi

You've mentioned that you are new to Windows Home Server, so can you verify that your server is running Power Pack 2 for us?  The version numbers in the Windows Home Server console should end in 2030 under settings>resources. I mention this because this thread is over a year old and has not seen any posts until today.

If this did happen after Power Pack 2 was installed, please submit a bug via Connect and include client and server CABs.

Thanks!

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 4:31 PM