none
Virtual machine RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I had hoped that someone can guide me. I want to build a test system for my WHS and I think that a virtual machine could be the optimal situation. I know it is not supported, but I'll take my chances. It's only for testing.

The issue is what to choose. Virtual PC is a clear candidate from what I read, but it would require an upgrade of my current Win7 license. Virtual Box is an alternative. Has anyone experience with VB with Win7 home premium as host and WHS as guest?

• Changed type kariya21Moderator Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:14 AM not a technical question
    Monday, September 27, 2010 2:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I had hoped that someone can guide me. I want to build a test system for my WHS and I think that a virtual machine could be the optimal situation. I know it is not supported, but I'll take my chances. It's only for testing.

The issue is what to choose. Virtual PC is a clear candidate from what I read, but it would require an upgrade of my current Win7 license. Virtual Box is an alternative. Has anyone experience with VB with Win7 home premium as host and WHS as guest?
    I use VMWare Server 2 (free!), and it works well. I have Windows 7 Ultimate as host, but I'm sure it would work on Home Premium.

Alternatively, I think you can install Virtual PC 2007 on Win7 Home Premium (you just get a warning). It is the new Windows Virtual PC that requires Ultinmate/Professional/Enterprise.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:55 AM
  • Thank you for your response.

In fact, I installed the new Virtual PC on Home Premium. Apparently it is only the preconfigured XP-mode thet requires the up-market versions.

With X-files I installed WHS in less than 1 hour. Can't understand why I did not think of this before.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:25 AM