Request for new add-in or a how to...duplicate changes across two WHS boxes RRS feed

• Question

•  

I would like to know if, or how, to duplicate changes across the internet, to two WHS boxes. Here's what I want if you don't understand...

My friend and I have the same EXACT WHS box, hardware and software, AND shared folders. Mirrored, nothing different other than homeserver name and  physical location. He's in one city and I'm in another.

So say we have the same clone of the pictures folder, and I add new pictures to my folder, is there a process or software or possible add-in that could run at night, and scan all folders I specify to check for changes and clone the folders. So that when he wakes in the morning, he still has EXACTLY what I have, and vise versa....

I'm sure there's a way to do this and write some kind of process in WHS to do this, but I have no clue how and where to start. I'm even wondering if we connected them through some kind of VPN and had them dup folders from networked drives. Like mapping a network drive, then telling WHS to clone that folder to that drive. I don't know, any ideas?

I also understand if I had a login for his I could just upload what I change and vise versa but I update my shared folders almost daily with files/folders of info and it would be a pain to sit there and upload every thing I change daily....

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 5:33 PM

Answers

• Robocopy or synctoy would do what you're looking for. They're both capable of only transferring differences from source to destination, or synchronizing two different sources. You would need to establish a VPN connection with your friend's network (or vice versa) then run the synchronization task.

You'll probably have to roll your own task, though.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 10:18 PM

All replies

• Robocopy or synctoy would do what you're looking for. They're both capable of only transferring differences from source to destination, or synchronizing two different sources. You would need to establish a VPN connection with your friend's network (or vice versa) then run the synchronization task.

You'll probably have to roll your own task, though.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 10:18 PM
  • Those are great apps and it gives me a project, thanks! Anyone interested in making a add-in with the SyncToy ? Now I just need to figure out how to get these two servers on a VPN and figure out how to get synctoy to see the networked folders.

I think the VPN part is the hard part, the folders would be easy.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:28 PM
  • I use robocopy; it's more robust (robocopy supposedly stands for "robust copy", though someone needs to learn how to assemble acronyms Smile ). But either one is capable of working with UNC paths.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Someone must have a special place in their hearts for robocop or something. Could have been his motivation all along.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 6:03 PM
  • Sounds like something you could do with Microsoft's Live Mesh technology, have a look.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 7:08 PM
  • WiseAdam,

It seems the solution would be to use robocopy for the back-end process. You could then complement this with a ADD-in which manages the configuration and monitoring of the robo-copy process.

Just my two cents for an idea.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:01 PM
  •  AnonymousNewbie wrote:
    Sounds like something you could do with Microsoft's Live Mesh technology, have a look.

This only pertains to Windows XP and Vista.....I don't think I could install the connector software for Mesh on the WHS. I know I could probably map the network drive from my PC and then mesh the folder's from the server that way, but that kills the point of the server...

Maybe someone from the MS Mesh team can walk over to the MS WHS team and make a quick mesh add-in for WHS???? Anyone, anyone?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:58 PM