Error Code 18 on Install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I am trying to install WHS on my machine and I get the following error during text mode setup.

Could not load \$OEM$\si3112r.sys.

The Error Code is 18.

Similar symptoms of my problem are documented here without a solution:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/795cd8f8-949f-4947-8df0-64217fee5710/

My configuration is:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard

2 GB PC3200 DDR400 Memory

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128 MB AGP Video

2x80GB SATA Maxtor Hard Drives

HP DVD650i CD/DVD Drive

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brad

Friday, December 12, 2008 5:10 PM

Answers

• Why Microsoft says RAID is not a supported technology for WHS: Why RAID is not a consumer technology

That doesn't mean that WHS won't work if installed on a RAID array. There's no reason (in general) why it wouldn't, and many beta testers did so during the public beta last spring and summer. But it's not a technology that Microsoft wants to see included with WHS, and there's likely not to be a lot of help for users who have trouble with their RAID controllers or arrays.

This KB article may offer some insight into the specific problem you're experiencing. Probably in your case it indicates that your RAID driver isn't fully Windows Server 2003 compatible (never mind what the manufacturer says). As WHS does an unattended setup of Windows Server 2003, it would be vulnerable to the same problem as detailed there.

My best recommendation is to diable RAID and allow Windows Home Server to manage your drives. Alternatively you may try another RAID HBA with better success.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brad Wallace Saturday, December 13, 2008 5:02 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 8:25 PM
  • I was able to get past the Error Code 18 by following instructions in the KB Article Ken Warren posted above.  The solution is to ensure that the floppy disk is not in the drive when the machine starts the text setup portion of the installation.

However, I have a new problem and will post in a separate thread.
    • Marked as answer by Brad Wallace Saturday, December 13, 2008 5:14 PM
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 5:02 PM

All replies

• l00ker said:

Hi everyone,

I am trying to install WHS on my machine and I get the following error during text mode setup.

Could not load \$OEM$\si3112r.sys.

The Error Code is 18.

Similar symptoms of my problem are documented here without a solution:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/795cd8f8-949f-4947-8df0-64217fee5710/

My configuration is:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard

2 GB PC3200 DDR400 Memory

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128 MB AGP Video

2x80GB SATA Maxtor Hard Drives

HP DVD650i CD/DVD Drive

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brad

Are you trying to use RAID?  That file is a driver for a RAID controller card.  Are you adding drivers during the GUI portion?  If so, you need to add the drivers again during the text portion (when it says press F6 to install additional drivers).
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:32 PM
  • I am trying to use RAID.  I am adding the RAID drivers during the GUI portion via a floppy disk.  When text setup appears after a reboot, I press F6 at the right time but before I am given the chance to load the drivers for the 2nd time via floppy I get the error code mentioned in the opening post.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Hello,
    you should be aware, that RAID is not a supported scenario on Windows Home Server. Instead you should try to switch the controller to IDE mode, if possible (or use onboard SATA controller with IDE mode set in Bios, if available (or generic SATA mode and try normal SATA drivers). This gives you more disk space for data and the ability to use folder duplication.
    Besides that, a chance could be to boot the machine from a Vista DVD, use it's command prompt under Computer Repair options and copy the inf file for the driver to the already copied Windows structure into C:\Windows\inf and the remaining driver files into C:\Windows\system32\drivers.
    (This method did work for me one time in a similar situation.) After that reinsert the WHS DVD and reboot.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Hi  Olaf,

Thanks for the reply.  Why should I not use RAID?  Seems this is a MS mistake.  No reason why RAID should not be supported and I want to use this, because WHS doesn't back itself up.  I did install WHS previously on a PATA drive and the installation completed successfully.  In this scenario, I was able to access my RAID mirrored set.  I now simply want to make the mirrored set my system drive.  Can't believe this is so difficult for MS.

Why would folder duplication work on WHS with an IDE system drive and not work on one with a RAID mirrored set system drive?  If this is truly how it works, I am shocked.

I tried the Vista DVD boot approach.  However, I placed the files in the folder where it said it was looking for them (e.g. \$OEM$\).  I do not know why I would need to place it in C:\Windows\inf and C:\Windows\system32\drivers, but will give it a shot since you were so kind to help.

I would like to see a real solution to this problem MS.  Problems loading RAID drivers on the system drive with installation of your operating systems did not just come into play with the creation of WHS.  Let's stop the insanity and fix the problem.

On a lighter note, anybody out there with creative solutions to fixing this problem without removing the capability for RAID, please help!  I am all ears!

Thanks so much,
    Brad
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Why Microsoft says RAID is not a supported technology for WHS: Why RAID is not a consumer technology

That doesn't mean that WHS won't work if installed on a RAID array. There's no reason (in general) why it wouldn't, and many beta testers did so during the public beta last spring and summer. But it's not a technology that Microsoft wants to see included with WHS, and there's likely not to be a lot of help for users who have trouble with their RAID controllers or arrays.

This KB article may offer some insight into the specific problem you're experiencing. Probably in your case it indicates that your RAID driver isn't fully Windows Server 2003 compatible (never mind what the manufacturer says). As WHS does an unattended setup of Windows Server 2003, it would be vulnerable to the same problem as detailed there.

My best recommendation is to diable RAID and allow Windows Home Server to manage your drives. Alternatively you may try another RAID HBA with better success.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brad Wallace Saturday, December 13, 2008 5:02 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 8:25 PM

• In my experience the F6 portion only works if you've used a floppy drive to specify disk controller drivers.  I don't know if a USB floppy drive will work, but a floppy drive connected via the floppy cable certainly does.  Non floppy drive usage causes the 'hit F6' portion to not respond to hitting F6.

In some cases (I believe in the cases where you only need one set of controller drivers) if you specify the drivers in the GUI portion, and leave the floppy in the drive, you don't need to hit F6 in the second portion of the install - the drivers are automatically loaded from disk.

In addition you have to make sure you're using the correct drivers.  If your driver is any clue, you're trying to install using a silicon image 3112 chip.  This chip is older and there may be a fair # of different drivers for it.

Installing WHS on a RAID array is not hard.  But your problems are precisely why WHS doesn't support it.  There are simply too many hardware configurations with different drivers to test.  In addition the probability of user error is quite high.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 8:40 PM
  • I was able to get past the Error Code 18 by following instructions in the KB Article Ken Warren posted above.  The solution is to ensure that the floppy disk is not in the drive when the machine starts the text setup portion of the installation.

However, I have a new problem and will post in a separate thread.
    • Marked as answer by Brad Wallace Saturday, December 13, 2008 5:14 PM
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 5:02 PM