How to validate w/o reformatting RRS feed

• Question

• I have a key code that is genuine but I don't want to have to reformatt my entire system in order to change this code. I had a friend install my system but I got my software from Dell and I know that the key is correct but my friend must not have seen that code. So is there any way to change my Windows XP key w/o reformatting the hard drive? Thanks
    Thursday, May 4, 2006 3:02 PM

Answers

•  spotts wrote:

I would like to add to this post.  I find myself in a similar situation.  It appears that Microsoft has a tool available for switching your key if you buy a new one through them, why not make this available to the public so that they can switch their keys (without buying multiple from Microsoft)?

Because of the massive number of potential hacked binary files and security loops that may have been created by non-genuine software, we have only developed a tool SPECIFIC for WGA Kits (as it only lets you convert to WGA Kit Product Keys). We're upgrading this tool so it can be used legitimately worldwide. Development is underway. Previous users have tried this tool for non-WGA Kits without success, I would not recommend it until the new version is finalized.

spotts wrote:

I would like to add something to the situation though.  My computer was upgraded to XP Pro from Home when I had a tech reformat it.  My key is for XP Home, do I have to reformat and downgrade?  Is there even a difference between XP Home and XP Pro anymore?

Yes, or you may purchase an XP Pro kit. Theres definitely a difference. :)

spotts wrote:

I think Microsoft should provide options for situations like this before they start punishing their consumers by not letting them update their software.

While we appreciate your feedback and comments, please understand that we are not "punishing" users. Rather, we are informing them that they may have been taken advantage of by other counterfeit software users. As well, we are trying to protect the software and intellectual property we have spent so long to make.

-PHil Liu

Friday, May 5, 2006 12:12 AM

All replies

• bwil:

We're working on a tool currently, but there is no public release schedule for it yet. I suggest formatting if you can.

I know this isn't quite the answer you were looking for, but I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Thursday, May 4, 2006 4:02 PM
  • How will I know when this tool is released, and in the meantime how do I get rid of all of the messages saying that my software isn't genuine everytime I start up?

Thursday, May 4, 2006 7:43 PM
  • I would like to add to this post.  I find myself in a similar situation.  It appears that Microsoft has a tool available for switching your key if you buy a new one through them, why not make this available to the public so that they can switch their keys (without buying multiple from Microsoft)?

I would like to add something to the situation though.  My computer was upgraded to XP Pro from Home when I had a tech reformat it.  My key is for XP Home, do I have to reformat and downgrade?  Is there even a difference between XP Home and XP Pro anymore?

I think Microsoft should provide options for situations like this before they start punishing their consumers by not letting them update their software.

Thursday, May 4, 2006 8:33 PM
  •  spotts wrote:

I would like to add to this post.  I find myself in a similar situation.  It appears that Microsoft has a tool available for switching your key if you buy a new one through them, why not make this available to the public so that they can switch their keys (without buying multiple from Microsoft)?

Because of the massive number of potential hacked binary files and security loops that may have been created by non-genuine software, we have only developed a tool SPECIFIC for WGA Kits (as it only lets you convert to WGA Kit Product Keys). We're upgrading this tool so it can be used legitimately worldwide. Development is underway. Previous users have tried this tool for non-WGA Kits without success, I would not recommend it until the new version is finalized.

spotts wrote:

Yes, or you may purchase an XP Pro kit. Theres definitely a difference. :)

spotts wrote:

While we appreciate your feedback and comments, please understand that we are not "punishing" users. Rather, we are informing them that they may have been taken advantage of by other counterfeit software users. As well, we are trying to protect the software and intellectual property we have spent so long to make.

-PHil Liu

Friday, May 5, 2006 12:12 AM