Why Should I Get Notify if Already Valid RRS feed

• Question

• My installation of Windows XP is genuine.  I have downloaded and installed KB892130, the WGA Validation tool, and it agrees.  I've also gone to www.microsoft.com/genuine and that, too, agrees that I have a genuine copy of Windows XP.

Why, then, should I download and install any version of the WGA Notification tool (KB905474)?

More importantly, what are the consequences, if any, of NOT installing KB905474?

As I understand it, I have complete access to Windows Update if I have a "validated" installation.  Do I also have to have a "notified" insallation?

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 5:04 PM

Answers

• John:

The Notification is more than just a Genuine Notification. It also notifies users if they are not using XP SP2. This is beacuse Automatic Updates will soon stop supporting XP SP1 automatically (and already dont support XP RTM). You do, however, have the option as a genuine user to turn off ALL notifications you dont wish to recieve. Its good to have. :)

As a genuine validated installation, you will have access to everything in Windows Update, Windows Download Center, and (if a valid Operating System) Genuine Benefits software as well :)

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 5:40 PM

All replies

• John:

The Notification is more than just a Genuine Notification. It also notifies users if they are not using XP SP2. This is beacuse Automatic Updates will soon stop supporting XP SP1 automatically (and already dont support XP RTM). You do, however, have the option as a genuine user to turn off ALL notifications you dont wish to recieve. Its good to have. :)

As a genuine validated installation, you will have access to everything in Windows Update, Windows Download Center, and (if a valid Operating System) Genuine Benefits software as well :)

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 5:40 PM
  • Thank you.  There is a lot of speculation and misinformation about the WGA program in some of the newsgroups, and it's helpful to get the real answer.

Based on the observations of some (but not me personally), the more recent versions of the WGA Notification tool "phone home" periodically, which is an issue for some, particularly those who pay for bandwidth.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 7:26 PM
  • John:

We've identified this issue, and due to user feedback (much of it comes from the forum) we have updated the newest version to not "phone home" as users call it.

The main point of contacting our servers is to check for updated validation controls should something need updating.

This issue will be resolved, and credit can go to user feedback on the forum. We really are listening :)

Thanks for your continued feedback and inquiries! Its what makes our program the best it can possibly be.

-phil

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 7:41 PM