Onecare crashes after tuneup RRS feed

• General discussion

• I installed onecare successfully on two Vista machines. My third install is on an old XP machine. It worked fine at first, but the first time it ran tune-up it locked up. I restarted, and now my Onecare indicator is set at yellow and it pops up saying I need to do something when I start. When I click on the icon, however, the the Onecare banner pops up for a few seconds and then a generic screen comes up saying "Windows Live OneCare has encountered a problem and needs to close." It asks me to submit an error report, which I've done a dozen times by now but never get any response back. There is no error message, but I can look at what is in the error report and I get this

Error Signature

EventType : clr20r3     P1 : winssui.exe     P2 : 0.6.400.0     P3 : 4911fa8a
    P4 : clientinterop     P5 : 0.6.400.0     P6 : 4911fa7c     P7 : 10b5     P8 : e
    P9 : system.typeinitialization    

There's then a further icon to view the contents of the error report. I see

Exception information
    Code: 0xe0434f4d      Flags: 0x00000001
    Record 0x0000000000000   Address: 0x0000000007c812aeb

There's then detail information on 61 modules and a bunch of other stuff.

I called tech support about this problem. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it as suggested. That worked, so they closed the report. I told them I was concerned about running tuneup again. Well, I think my kids were using it the other day and the tuneup started automatically again, because the same problem is back. I did some looking in the support database and did the following fixes:

-stopped and restarted winss
    -ran CaclsDeleteDB.exe
    -installed msxml3.msi
    -ran RepairBootIni.exe (which said nothing needed to be done)

I also ran the remove virus scan and tuneup tools through the website. Its still crashing. This is a 5-year old PC that used to have Norton on it, then McAfee, then Norton again until two weeks ago. I think I've removed all traces of both and of Spyhunter, though. Its not going to be acceptable to have to reinstall this program all over again every week. Any thoughts what might be going on????

vb

PS One more thing on the off chance its relevant--when I install the software, it says something about finding a a network and approving access. The network it finds is my OLD network that is no longer running (and this computer used to be the hub for); it doesn't seem to recognize that it is connecting to a different network.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:06 AM

All replies

• I don't think that the network naming is relevant to the Tune-up crash. When you refer to it as your "old" network, what do you mean? The name of the network? Workgroup vs. Home or something you named it?

As for needing to reinstall regularly, no, I'd not expect that to be pleasant. Since you mentioned that Norton was previously installed, have you run the Norton Cleanup tool?

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

I don't know if a tool for Spyware Hunter, you may want to check their support site information.

I would also recommend contacting support once again since the reinstall was only a temporary solution for the problem. They need to have a detailed look at running processes and other information about your system to determine the reason for the crash.

One last thought - the error you are seeing *can* be due to something as simple as the PC date a time being out of whack.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:03 PM