none
Can I sell a Dell Computer with Windows XP Pro (OEM) C/W COA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been asked to sell a number of old Dell computers for an old employer of mine.

Each one has a Genuine Windows XP Pro COA on it and also has a Dell Windows XP Pro OS Disk with it which hasn't been opened.

Am I right in thinking I'm ok to sell them with Windows XP Pro included providing I supply the corresponding OS disk with each machine?

Kind Regards

Tony

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:58 PM

Answers

• Hello tonychanmbers,

According to the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA), your proposed method is the only Microsoft-approved method for transfering an OEM license for Windows XP.......hand-in-glove with the computer on which it came first installed.

If your old employer happened to have installed other Microsoft software and/or operating systems acquired under Volume Licensing Agreements onto these computers, it would be best to sell the computers with their hard disk drives wiped.  That way the eventual end users who purchase the computers are not misled into thinking that the sale of the computer includes more software than the computer is licensed for.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 4:05 AM

All replies

• Hello tonychanmbers,

According to the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA), your proposed method is the only Microsoft-approved method for transfering an OEM license for Windows XP.......hand-in-glove with the computer on which it came first installed.

If your old employer happened to have installed other Microsoft software and/or operating systems acquired under Volume Licensing Agreements onto these computers, it would be best to sell the computers with their hard disk drives wiped.  That way the eventual end users who purchase the computers are not misled into thinking that the sale of the computer includes more software than the computer is licensed for.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Hello,

Yes I was under the impression that would be the best course of action.

Each hard drive has already been wiped clean.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Tony

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:44 AM