Easy access to WHS folders from OS X? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a mac in our household. I want to set up an EASY way for people who are using the Mac to be able to browse and have full control of the files on all the shared folders on the WHS. I am able to drill my way down and basically accomplish this, but my Mac using relatives have neither the patience not the savvy to do it that way.

Ideally, I'd have an icon on the Mac desktop that says "WHS" (or the name of the Home Server.) Then they would click on it and see a listing of all the shared folders. From there, they would transfer files to and from the appropriate folders.

Any help you can help me (a Mac networking neophyte) would be most appreciated. I'd like instructions on how to do this on the Mac as well as any set up considerations on the WHS.

Monday, August 25, 2008 1:05 AM

Answers

• I'm sure there's a way to script creating a connection to an SMB share (the protocol that Windows uses to share files with a Mac). You would be much better off asking on an Apple forum, however. No changes should be required on your Windows Home Server PC.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 2:38 AM

All replies

• I'm sure there's a way to script creating a connection to an SMB share (the protocol that Windows uses to share files with a Mac). You would be much better off asking on an Apple forum, however. No changes should be required on your Windows Home Server PC.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 2:38 AM
  • Gotcha. Thanks again. Ken!

PS -- Dude, where can I nominate you for a MVP???

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:48 PM
  • This is VERY easy.   You want to use Applicaions > Apple Script > Script Editor within Finder.

I Created a script for my Macbook Pro which looks as follows.

mount volume "smb://whs/media"
    mount volume "smb://whs/music"
    mount volume "smb://whs/videos"
    mount volume "smb://whs/software"

Then within OSX go into Accounts and add it to the login items for the user.  When OXS loads it will run the script and mount all the shares to the desktop.   

Provided the credentials you set match an account that is on the WHS box, you will be able to copy files to and from WHS.

FLAD
    • Proposed as answer by fladtheimpaler Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:52 AM
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:13 AM