Where is the x64 connector software? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is there a seperate download for the connector software?
    Monday, June 9, 2008 10:15 PM

Answers

• Install a Power Pack 1 server - the software for the Connector is updated in the Software Shared Folder.  If you go to a Windows Vista x64 machine and enter http://<servername>:55000 in a browser window, it will bring up a web page that helps you get the software loaded.

Replace <servername> with the actual name of your home server. 

Monday, June 9, 2008 10:18 PM
  •  

Here is a summary of the issue:

• Windows Home Server ships with a Shared Folder named "Software"
    • In the "Software" shared folder there are a couple of sub-folders that SHOULD NOT BE DELETED OR RENAMED
      • Add-Ins
      • Home PC Restore CD
      • Home Server Connector Software
    • If you DELETE OR RENAME THESE SUBFOLDERS YOUR WINDOWS HOME SERVER WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY

There are a couple of things you can do:

(1)  Do a "Server Reinstallation" to format the operating system partitition and reinstall the Windows Home Server software, which will re-install these Sub-folders

(2)  On an OEM built box (e.g. HP MediaSmart, FSC Scaleo, Belinea o.center) - a backup copy of the "Software" Shared Folder can be found in c:\shares\software - you would need to copy the contents of the above sub-folders back to the visible "Software" shared folder on your home server

(3) On a System Builder built box, you will find a subset of the Windows Home Server Connector software in the c:\whs directory.

Key thing is to not delete the "Home Server Connector Software" sub-folder from the "Software" shared folder.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:26 AM

All replies

• Install a Power Pack 1 server - the software for the Connector is updated in the Software Shared Folder.  If you go to a Windows Vista x64 machine and enter http://<servername>:55000 in a browser window, it will bring up a web page that helps you get the software loaded.

Replace <servername> with the actual name of your home server. 

Monday, June 9, 2008 10:18 PM
  • The connector software doesn't exist in my Software share. I just installed PP1 too.

Monday, June 9, 2008 10:21 PM
  •  fandibus wrote:

The connector software doesn't exist in my Software share. I just installed PP1 too.

I've got the same problem.
    The site exists, but the file for the update doesn't.

Monday, June 9, 2008 10:24 PM
  • @FandiBus

How did you install Power Pack 1?  What are the exact steps you took? Need more details...

If you go to Settings - Resources - what build number do you see?

What do you see inthe Software Shared Folder?

Monday, June 9, 2008 10:28 PM
  • I downloaded the file from the connect website, saved it to my desktop on my WHS box(i'm working directly on it), double clicked it.

Settings resources show i'm running Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1. Version info for everything shows 6.0.1771.0

My software shared folder is full of my directories amd files. Everything i've added since setting up the server last year.

Monday, June 9, 2008 10:30 PM
  • If you go to Settings - Resources in the Windows Home Server Console -  what build number do you see?

Did you reboot?

What do you see in the Software Shared Folder?   I see a whole bunch of files date 6/4/2008 in the Home Server Connector Software folder ...

Monday, June 9, 2008 10:34 PM
  • Yes, I did reboot. My software share consists only of my own folders and files that I put there. Nothing else. I have the following folders there: apps, codecs, drivers, games, wallpapers.

I think I found the connector software. It extracted it to C:\WHS

I copied it over to my software share but it still won't install using the website link you posted above.

I then used Windows Explorer on my Vista x64 machine to navigate over to my software share where I copied the files and ran setup.exe and it installed.

The connector software is now working on my Vista x64 machine.

Monday, June 9, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Did you reboot your home server after installing the update?

Monday, June 9, 2008 10:41 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:
    Did you reboot your home server after installing the update?

Yes. After the first reboot the drive manager service failed to start and it said my profile was corrupt. I rebooted again and no errors.

Monday, June 9, 2008 10:43 PM
  • T. Headrick,

I did a normal install of PP1.  No problem rebooting except for a message saying a driver or service did not install right (I'm looking, but haven't found anything big yet).

Looking for the connector install software, I also find what may be it under C:\WHS.  (WHSConnector.msi 6/4/2008 12:49 p.m. and WHSConnector_x64.msi 6/4/2008 4:43 p.m.)

I'm looking for an ISO I can burn onto a CD. 

bc

P. S. -- I did the http://<servername>:5500 thing also and when I choose the link to download the connector software I get a broken link. This page cannot be found, etc.

Update Further: 

I've been re-reading the thread to make sure I've got it right.  Where is the "Software Shared" folder?  I only have a "Software" folder under my "shared" folders. 

Also, when I copy the install files from the c:\WHS directory to my other computer and run the connector install program, it goes to the server, finds the server, but cannot find the software to install.

It seems like my install may not have gotten all the right files in all the right places.  Or something is hard-coded and I had erased or changed the name or the directory or something like that.  Still working and looking.

Monday, June 9, 2008 11:12 PM
  •  

Here is a summary of the issue:

• Windows Home Server ships with a Shared Folder named "Software"
    • In the "Software" shared folder there are a couple of sub-folders that SHOULD NOT BE DELETED OR RENAMED
      • Add-Ins
      • Home PC Restore CD
      • Home Server Connector Software
    • If you DELETE OR RENAME THESE SUBFOLDERS YOUR WINDOWS HOME SERVER WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY

There are a couple of things you can do:

(1)  Do a "Server Reinstallation" to format the operating system partitition and reinstall the Windows Home Server software, which will re-install these Sub-folders

(2)  On an OEM built box (e.g. HP MediaSmart, FSC Scaleo, Belinea o.center) - a backup copy of the "Software" Shared Folder can be found in c:\shares\software - you would need to copy the contents of the above sub-folders back to the visible "Software" shared folder on your home server

(3) On a System Builder built box, you will find a subset of the Windows Home Server Connector software in the c:\whs directory.

Key thing is to not delete the "Home Server Connector Software" sub-folder from the "Software" shared folder.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:26 AM
  • Thanks for the concise explanation. 

I deleted the subdirectories because I am running OEM and have disks with those files on them.  I didn't see the need for duplication and waste of space on the hard drive.  And I don't remember reading anything about not erasing those subdirectories.  When I need to reinstall connector, I just pop in the disk!

It was not my intention to hijack this thread about x64 -- I thought I had the same issue.  So I will not post further here and let you get back to helping the original poster.

bc

P. S. -- Feel free to delete my posts since they are off-topic.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:12 AM