none
Drivers in .exe file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, the driver for my Sitecom SATA controller PCI card is presented in an .exe file, so how do I go about installing it, as I believe the driver install routine looks for .inf files?

It's also a W7 64bit driver, so there's no guarantee it'd work anyway, but even so I'd like to try it.

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 7:53 PM

Answers

• Which version of WHS are you using? If it's WHS2011, that's probably the best driver unless there is one for Windows Server 2008 R2. If WHS1 you need 32-bit drivers. Does running the .exe file create a temporary folder to extract files to, in which case you can install using Device Manager? Have you tried running the.exe file to see if it works?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by RobAnt Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RobAnt Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by RobAnt Monday, September 12, 2011 1:35 AM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:10 PM

All replies

• Which version of WHS are you using? If it's WHS2011, that's probably the best driver unless there is one for Windows Server 2008 R2. If WHS1 you need 32-bit drivers. Does running the .exe file create a temporary folder to extract files to, in which case you can install using Device Manager? Have you tried running the.exe file to see if it works?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by RobAnt Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RobAnt Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by RobAnt Monday, September 12, 2011 1:35 AM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Yes, Phil, it is WHS2011.  I'm a bit wary of running the exe file on my local PC, as that is W7 64.  So is it possible to run .exe files on the server itself?  If so, how do I go about that? (Meanwhile, I'll transfer the exe file to one of the server's folders and try to run it locally, rather than through the Dashboard).
    Rob
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:54 PM
  • So I ran the exe file on the server, and it install a driver for the controller card, but it still doesn't recognise the drives it is attached too.  I restarted the server, but still no luck.
    Rob
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 10:17 PM
  • You will need to consult your product documentation, and possibly tech support for your RAID card, to determine exactly how to proceed. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:40 PM
  • HAHA - you're joking, right?  Product documentation on this sitecom product is none existant.  I might get Sitecom to provide the drivers in a non-exe package, but I reckon I'll be very lucky if I do.
    Rob
    Monday, September 12, 2011 12:12 AM
  • What a nitwit I am.  Installing the driver via the exe file did work first time.  For some reason I didn't get the "new disk installed" message first time around.

But that's it.  It's working now.

Rob
    Monday, September 12, 2011 1:35 AM