How do i send workflow emails from an general email address not belonging to any user? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I have a general email address which i want to use for automated email responses
    generated from workflows triggered when new records have been created in CRM.

The email address does not belong to a user but is a general email address.

How do i go about sending my automated responses from this general email address?

Regards

Dave

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:48 AM

Answers

• You could create a Queue which you can assign an email address to. The when sending the email, the Queue could be used as the sender. 

Jason Lattimer

• Proposed as answer by Amreek Singh Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rob BoyersEditor Monday, November 5, 2012 10:31 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:21 PM
  • The CRM Server can't send email by itself.  For Users, Outgoing email can be processed (sent) via the Outlook Client or the CRM Email Router.  Given that the CRM Outlook Client requires CRM User credentials, Queues are restricted only to the Email Router (which makes sense as Queues are generally a "model" of a system Email address not attached to a specific person).

The Email Router uses SMTP to send Outgoing email.  To enable and configure this you must supply an SMTP Server address and credentials where applicable for authentication.  You may configure a Queue to use any email address, provided the SMTP Server will process email for that email address - this is a function of the implementation, configuration and policies of your SMTP Server.

--pogo (pat) @ pogo69.wordpress.com

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:38 PM

All replies

• You could create a Queue which you can assign an email address to. The when sending the email, the Queue could be used as the sender. 

Jason Lattimer

• Proposed as answer by Amreek Singh Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rob BoyersEditor Monday, November 5, 2012 10:31 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:21 PM
  • hi David, you can send email from general id for that , in your workflow set 'From' field to your id - n@example.com then go to system settings -> email tab -> where you have to set "Allow messagess with unresolved email recipients to be sent " to 'YES'

Pooja

• Edited by Pooja N Bhagwat Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:41 PM
    • Proposed as answer by nrodri Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:51 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for this reply. Can you just use any general email address in the queue or does the email address have to exist in Active Directory for Dynamics to recognise it?

Regards

Dave

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Depending on how your outgoing email is being routed, I'd think you would want at least the domain name of the email to match that provider to prevent any type of relaying issues/rejections.

Jason Lattimer

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:08 PM
  • The CRM Server can't send email by itself.  For Users, Outgoing email can be processed (sent) via the Outlook Client or the CRM Email Router.  Given that the CRM Outlook Client requires CRM User credentials, Queues are restricted only to the Email Router (which makes sense as Queues are generally a "model" of a system Email address not attached to a specific person).

The Email Router uses SMTP to send Outgoing email.  To enable and configure this you must supply an SMTP Server address and credentials where applicable for authentication.  You may configure a Queue to use any email address, provided the SMTP Server will process email for that email address - this is a function of the implementation, configuration and policies of your SMTP Server.

--pogo (pat) @ pogo69.wordpress.com

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Pat.

Regards

Dave

Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:52 PM