locked
WHS's BackupEngine.exe gets to 33% of D:\ and CPU usage goes to 100%, never finishes RRS feed

  • Question

  •    Hi,

     

    I've had the WHS backing up my machine for a couple of years now, but for some reason it has failed to backup in the last 7 days.  I can't think of anything I've installed that would've made this failed.
    It always gets to 33% of the D:\ drive and hangs there with one of the cores going to 100% due to BackupEngine.exe.  The details of the little window say "D: Determining which files have changed.".
    At one point I left it running overnight and it had been 20 hours and it was still showing 33%...

    Is there a way to turn on logging info of some sort to see where/why it is hanging?  Any help is appreciated!
    MSFT: let me know if there's anything you need to debug it and fix it.

    WHS has PP3:

    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.3039.0

    Monday, November 22, 2010 2:13 AM

Answers

  • Update: I ran chkdsk d: /F and it had some errors (from a previous windows crash) and it looks like BackupEngine.exe is happy now.  It's on 77% done....

    It would've been good for it to error out rather than go into this infinite loop...

    • Marked as answer by totempty Monday, November 22, 2010 2:56 AM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 2:55 AM