Restore CD can not find Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have PP1 installed on the WHS server (named "server") and the client software on 4 other PCs on the network.  I copied the driver files from the most recent backup to a USB drive and attempted to do a restore of the system drive on my workstation.  Both the server and my workstation have static IP addresses. 

After booting from the CD-ROM and getting to the point in the restore wizard of loading drivers, the scan indicates No drivers found".  Clicking continue, the wizard searches for the server and doesn't find it.  Clicking "manual search" and supplying the name SERVER, returns the same result.

Running the WHS toolkit indicates only one "error" that can be ingnored with static IP addresses.  The restore CD works fine on the other PCs on the network.

Arghh!  This is frustrating.

Friday, July 4, 2008 8:29 PM

Answers

• Todd,

I now have the PP1 RTM version loaded.  I tried to do a restore from the CD-ROM and still could not find the server.

As a test, I installed an old 3Com905C-TX NIC in my workstation and disabled the onboard NIC.  WinXP automatically loaded the correct drivers so I did a WHS manual backup.  After the backup completed I started the WHS console and copied the "Drivers for restore" to a USB stick.  I then rebooted from the restore CD.  The restore wizard did not recognize the NIC but when it scanned the USB stick, it loaded the 3Com drivers.  The restore wizard then searched for the server and FOUND IT!  After entering the WHS password , all of the backups were shown and available.

It appears that the whole problem has been that the drivers loaded for the onboard NIC (VIA Gigabit Family of Adapters) do not work for Server 2003.  I wonder if the problem is the driver family or the potential 1Gb transfer rate.

Anyway, a solution is at hand.

Stephen

Saturday, July 26, 2008 12:08 AM

All replies

• Stephen, could you please submit a bug report on Connect, following the instructions in the PP1 documentation (reproduced here for your convenience)? Be sure to include talq logs from both the server and the client having problems.
    Friday, July 4, 2008 9:42 PM
  • Done.  Now let's see if anyone comes up with a solution.

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:04 PM
  • Have you tried restoring using the Dual Boot restore CD, available from the Microsoft Connect download page?
    Monday, July 7, 2008 9:47 PM
  • Ken,

I tried the Restore from PP1, the Dual-Boot restore from March, and the original restore RTM CD-ROMs both with >512 and <512 Mb RAM.  All had the same results in that they couldn't find the server.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 6:51 AM
  • As an outside suggestion, have you tried with your system disconnected from the Internet? If there is any discrepancies in your DHCP/Gateway configuration, while it might still be working, it could mean that it's looking in the wrong 'place' for the server.

Colin

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Colin,

I turned off the power of the DSL modem which connects the router to the internet.  Starting from the restore CD (PP1) gave the same result of not finding the server.  I wonder if there is a way to determine if the problem is name resolution or NIC driver related.  Starting from the CD, I don't know if any log files are generated.

Stephen

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 4:33 PM
  • I had the same problem with three tries.  So, when I selected Manual Search and SERVER was populated in the box, I deleted it and inserted Server in the box and then it found the Server.  Don't know why but maybe it will work for you too!

Ted

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:18 PM
  • Ted,

Was that just changing from all upper case to upper/lower? If so, it's worth remembering as a possible.

Stephen,

I don't think there are any logs generated while your so early in the process

Colin

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Yep, just changed the all upper case spelling to Server.  I don't know why and it may have been a coincidence.  Just saying...

Oh, and no I had not changed it during WHS install.  It was all stock spelling.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Ted,

I tried it with the name "Server" and then checked the DHCP table for the router where it was listed as "server" and tried that.  No joy in either case.  After 45+ minutes, the wizard could still not find the server.

Stephen

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 8:32 PM
  • I had a similar instance, couldn't find the server when using the restore disk.......turned out the backup service was not running at the time. I have automated the backup of the backup database, it starts at 9:05 AM, and guess what, it was 9:06AM at the time. Let the backup complete and it restarts the service and damn, there was "Server" ready and waiting. Unfortunately, it didn't cure the problem of a dead hard drive (wish you could restore to a smaller drive). Might want to check the services.

Cruise
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Well I completely wipe the hard drive and reinstalled WinXP SP3 and applications.  I installed the PP1 WHS connector and revised the router configuration so that all workstations on the network (including the WHS box) use static IP addresses. 

After a few sucessful backups of my PC I booted from the PP1 restore CD.  Same result; the server was not found by the restore wizard.  This severly limits the usefulness of WHS.

Stephen

Monday, July 14, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Stephen, if you can't load network drivers, it will never find the server. But at worst you can restore this computer using another computer on your home network that's been joined to Windows Home Server. You would need to remove the drive from the computer you want to restore and connect it to the other computer. Then run

C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe

which should allow you to restore a backup to the connected hard drive. It's not as convenient as using the Restore CD, but it should work, assuming you can remove the drive from the computer you're trying to restore at all.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 4:21 AM
  • Ken,

The restore wizard indicates that all of the NIC and storage drivers were loaded from the USB stick.  Attempting a restore from another PC by moving the workstation hard drive may work but I'm sure was not the intended functionality

Stephen

Monday, July 14, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Greetings Stephen,

I have a quick fix for you to try on this issue:

Check your Router's Network Settings and make sure that in the Router Settings area of the Network Settings page that the "Local Domain Name" reads "Workgroup".

What I feel is the issue is Name Resolution as I had this same issue and after much trial and error determined that it was a DNS issue.

Hope this does the trick!

Todd Andersen. 

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:44 AM
  • Todd,

I gave it a try substituting my actual workgroup name in the router configuration page.  Unfortunately, it did not do the trick.  Still the same issue of the restore wizard being unable to find the server.

Thanks for the suggestion, however.

Stephen

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:03 PM
  • Stephen,

Please re-enter the "Workgroup" name you have for your home network into the Router's Network Settings/Local Domain Name area of the router config web page. This is usually set to "Workgroup" by default and needs to be manually entered in in order for the FQDN to be resolved by the router's DNS function. I would also follow an earlier post of ensuring that the most up to date network and motherboard drivers are loaded onto a USB jump drive and get those installed during the restore.

Hope this does the trick for you.

Todd.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:57 PM
  • Todd,

The workgroup name is "SANDM" and that is the value shown in the Domain Name box on the router [Linksys WRT54G] setup page.  I'll check if there are any newer onboard NIC drivers and try that.  However, I have had the same issue before I reinstalled WinXP with somewhat later drivers and no difference.

Stephen

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:13 PM
  • @Stephen - Todd#2 here trying to help.

If the network drivers are getting loaded correctly when you use the Home Computer Restore CD, then the next step that is taken by the software is to look for your server on your home network. It requires the IP address of the home PC and home server to be in the same subnet, and DNS settings to be set correctly on your router. There are several things you may want to try or document here so people can help you troubleshoot. 

things to document:

(1) What is the IP address and DNS settings on your home server?

(2) What is the IP address and DNS setting on your router?

Things to try:

(1) what happens if you use a DHCP address and DNS settings for your home server?  In other words, configure your home server to get its IP address and DNS setting from your router.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:48 AM
  •  

Hey Todd#2, Todd#1 with another suggestion for Stephen,

I will also ensure that a DNS reservation for the WHS is setup on the router in addition to the DHCP and the local IP Subnet. FYI I'm running a D-Link DIR-655 Wi-Fi Router which I'm very pleased with.

Todd.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Todd#2,

server settings:

IP address 192.168.3.222 

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.3.1  {IP address of router}

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.3.1

Alternate DNS server: 205.171.3.65 {Qwest DNS server address}

router settings:

IP address: 192.168.3.1

DHCP Server - disabled

DNS 1: 192.168.0.1 {DSL modem IP address}

DNS 2: 205.171.3.65 {Qwest DNS}

DNS 3: blank

DHCP clients table - empty

workstation settings:

IP address 192.168.3.100

I had tried a configuration with both the server and workstation using DHCP to obtain IP addresses from the router.  However, the server would apparently periodically query for a new IP address such that after a few hours, the server would appear with a dozen or more entries in the DHCP clients' table all with different IP addresses.  If I attempted to ping the server by name from a command window on the workstation, the server would not be found.  Thus my workaround of having all PCs on the network with static IP addresses and DHCP disabled on the router.  Now if I ping the server (or any other workstation name connected to the router) in the command window, the IP address gets resolved.

All ideas are welcome.

Stephen

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:42 AM
  • Stephen, Todd#1 here,

I'd suggest that you enable DHCP and reserve the 192.168.3.222 address for the server on the router and by having DHCP enabled, the address pool will be assigned from the same subnet. It bears repeateing that I really feel that the issue at hand here is one of name resolution. 

Todd.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:57 AM
  • Todd#2,

That would be one of the network permutations that I have already run.  By having the workstation running DHCP and the server with a static IP address, the router still receives multiplequeries from the server and starts assigning additional IP addresses to the server.  This causes workstation "confusion" in attempting to connect to the server while running Windows.  Also, booting from the restore CD still did not find the server (even though it had the static IP address.

Given that it is only my workstation that can not locate the server from the restore wizard; the other workstations can whether they are using DHCP or static IP addresses, the problem may be NIC driver related rather than name resolution.  Unfortunately, there isn't any way to test this.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:07 AM
  •  Stephen Land wrote:

Todd#2,

server settings:

IP address 192.168.3.222 

router settings:

IP address: 192.168.3.1

DHCP Server - disabled

DNS 1: 192.168.0.1 {DSL modem IP address}

DNS 2: 205.171.3.65 {Qwest DNS}

DNS 3: blank

DHCP clients table - empty

workstation settings:

IP address 192.168.3.100

I had tried a configuration with both the server and workstation using DHCP to obtain IP addresses from the router.  However, the server would apparently periodically query for a new IP address such that after a few hours, the server would appear with a dozen or more entries in the DHCP clients' table all with different IP addresses.  If I attempted to ping the server by name from a command window on the workstation, the server would not be found.  Thus my workaround of having all PCs on the network with static IP addresses and DHCP disabled on the router.  Now if I ping the server (or any other workstation name connected to the router) in the command window, the IP address gets resolved.

All ideas are welcome.

Stephen

@Stephen - Todd#2 here...

Something to try - as I use all DHCP on my home network with my home server and home PCs, and have my DNS addresses on my router pointing to the Comcast or MSN DNS servers (I forget which ones).

Primary Domain Name System (DNS): 68.87.69.146
    Secondary DNS: 68.87.85.98

1.  Change Preferred DNS server setting on your router to the Qwest Alternate address or use the 2 IP's above

2.  Turn on DHCP on your router

3.  Load the Home Computer Restore CD with the needed drivers

what happens?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:19 AM
  •  Stephen Land wrote:

Todd#2,

That would be one of the network permutations that I have already run.  By having the workstation running DHCP and the server with a static IP address, the router still receives multiplequeries from the server and starts assigning additional IP addresses to the server.

Well, that's a problem.  When you set the server (or any computer) to a static IP address, it shouldn't be asking for an IP address at all.  After you changed from dynamic to static, did you reboot the server?  When you tried the static IP for the server, did you also assign the DNS servers yourself?  Did you assign the server an IP outside of the block your router was handing out?  Also, did you try changing the DNS servers from your router to the one(s) assigned by your ISP?

Stephen Land wrote:
    This causes workstation "confusion" in attempting to connect to the server while running Windows.  Also, booting from the restore CD still did not find the server (even though it had the static IP address.

Given that it is only my workstation that can not locate the server from the restore wizard; the other workstations can whether they are using DHCP or static IP addresses, the problem may be NIC driver related rather than name resolution.  Unfortunately, there isn't any way to test this.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:21 AM
  • I changed the workstation configuration to use DHCP with the static IP address for the server.  The DNS server IP addresses are those supplied by Qwest (my ISP).  Everything works except the restore CD.  The wizard still can't find the server.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:56 AM
  • Hello Stephen,

Congrats on sorting your home network configuration. I would now manually re-enter the workgroup name you've chosen into your router's network settings web interface. I know this sounds tivial, but in my case after I had my network config sorted the final step for me was to manually enter the "Workgroup" name into the routers network config page on the web interface. After this was done the restore CD worked as advertised.

Todd Andersen.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:19 AM
  • @Stephen,

(1) With the router set on DHCP, and the PC hooked up via an Ethernet cable to your router, does the PC show up in the routers DHCP table after booting the PC with the Restore CD with the appropriate network card drivers? 

(2) If yes, then what is the IP for the PC shown in the DHCP table on your router?

Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:15 PM
  • Clever approach.  I rebooted the workstation from the restore CD and loaded the drivers from the USB stick.  I then checked the DHCP routiong table of the router from another workstation.  My workstation did NOT show up on the routing table.  I attempted to ping and tracert the workstation IP address and name also with no luck.

After rebooting the workstation from the hard drive, it immediately showed up in the routing table.

Stephen

Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Can you tell us more about the NIC in that PC that you're having trouble with? Onboard or separate? Manufacturer and model?
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:37 PM
  • Ken, et. al.,

The NIC is onboard the Abit AV8-3rd Eye (K8T880 Pro) motherboard.  Device Manager recognizes the NIC as a "VIA Networking Velocity-Family Giga-bit Ethernet Adapter".  The driver files are:

getnd5bv.sys   Provider:VIA Networking Technologies, Inc., File version: 1.39.00.0097, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility

vuins32.dll   Provider: Not Available, File version: 1.4.0.9, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility

Resources used are:

I/O Range D000-D0FF

Memory Range F8120000-F81200FF

IRQ 22

No conflicts.

The driver is an updated version from Abit's website.  However, I had the same issue with no server found with the drivers on the motherboard installation CD.

Let me know if you need additional info.

Stephen

Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Aren't there more files than that in the folder under Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore that contains your network drivers?

FYI, what I usually do for a restore is just copy the entire Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder to the flash drive.
    Friday, July 18, 2008 2:14 AM
  • Ken,

There are 7 folders and 20 files on the flash drive.  In the flash drive folder for the NIC drivers there are three files

getnd5bv.sys  -  the VIA NDIS 5.0 miniport driver

oem27.inf  -  the installation file with sections for WinXP, Win 2000, and Server 2003

vuins32.dll  -  the Windows network adapter uninstaller

the drivers listed in the previous message were those that WinXP showed in Device Manager.

I do copy the entire "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder from the most recent backup to the flash drive.

Stephen

Friday, July 18, 2008 2:50 AM
  • Todd,

I now have the PP1 RTM version loaded.  I tried to do a restore from the CD-ROM and still could not find the server.

As a test, I installed an old 3Com905C-TX NIC in my workstation and disabled the onboard NIC.  WinXP automatically loaded the correct drivers so I did a WHS manual backup.  After the backup completed I started the WHS console and copied the "Drivers for restore" to a USB stick.  I then rebooted from the restore CD.  The restore wizard did not recognize the NIC but when it scanned the USB stick, it loaded the 3Com drivers.  The restore wizard then searched for the server and FOUND IT!  After entering the WHS password , all of the backups were shown and available.

It appears that the whole problem has been that the drivers loaded for the onboard NIC (VIA Gigabit Family of Adapters) do not work for Server 2003.  I wonder if the problem is the driver family or the potential 1Gb transfer rate.

Anyway, a solution is at hand.

Stephen

Saturday, July 26, 2008 12:08 AM
  • Stephen,

Wow, excellent news! Cudos on your tenacity in solving once and for all this very elusive issue. This was a network connectivity issue and by using tried and true troubleshooting techniques (swapping out know bad for known good in this instance) you finally nailed it down.

Thanks for providing me the opportunity to assist and follow the progress on the issue at hand and for providing us with with the knowledge that these VIA Gigabit NIC drivers don't work with Server 2003.

All the best,

Todd Andersen
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:38 AM