Windows XP Activating problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have bought the original cd of Windows XP Home Edition since April 2007. I had installed them and i had activated them and everything was going fine. Before three days i bought a new hard disc because of  the old's  one failure. So i install Windows on the new hard disc and when i try to activate the installation i get the message '..,the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded.

Please tell me what to do, because i don't want to pay AGAIN for an installation on the SAME PC.

Thank you in advance.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 2:21 PM

Answers

• Smot,

Please do a Telephonic product activation:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Sunday, June 3, 2007 3:30 PM
  •  

Now it's Ok.

Thank you very much

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 5:31 PM
  • Smot,

You're welcome!  Glad you're up and running again.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 5:39 PM
  • Genuine Windows Validation problem pls send the salusation
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Hasanimam,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a new thread in this forum:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 9:14 PM
  • I am having the same problem right now. So do I have to do a phone activation everytime I reformat now? Geeze hope that doesnt add another hour of waiting around for a reinstallation.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 4:07 AM
  •  

Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

I've had nearly the exact same problems listed here. I have a support ticket pending with Microsoft but I'm still trying to check it out myself. I've run the above mentioned utility and it says my previously active and valid copy of XP Pro (SP2) is invalid. The message comes up whenever I reboot and doesn't go away. The activation key icon and Windows is not activated icons offer little help. I've followed all of the hints I've found here on the forums for the better part of the day.  My telephonic response was less than helpful. The rep didn't ask whether there was lettering or logos of the manufacturer on the CoA. There aren't any such signs on the label, but the machine originally came from Alienware and is unfortunately out of warranty. The key doesn't work anymore and I'm out of ideas. Currently running the Windows Live: One Care utility and waiting for Microsoft to contact me.

Thursday, June 7, 2007 4:28 AM
  • Ace,

You are allowed to perform a certain number of activations then you must activate via the telephone. 

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:54 PM
  • JStars,

What type of Windows XP do you have?  Is it OEM? As you can see from the website (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx)  there should be a COA sticker attached to the system by the builder. Did you check all the papework which originally came with the computer and see if maybe it was attached to it vs. on the system?  Also what prompted the re-validation? Did you install new hardware?  Alienware should provide support for OEM installed software. Let Alienware know there wasn't a COA located on the system upon purchase and now is giving you a problem. Also contact Microsoft regarding the status of your support ticket and ask about the recommendation. 

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:07 PM
  • JStarrs,

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a new thread in this forum:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:12 PM
  • Ace514,

Telephone activation usually takes less than 7 minutes.

If your specific situation calls for frequently reformatting and cleanly installing your Operating System, a valuable time saving step would be to employ disk imaging to take a bit-by-bit "snapshot" of a fresh installation of XP.  The next time your have to reformat, you reimage instead, saving all that time staring at Windows Setup and all that time waiting for 100 Windows Updates to download and install!

Google for these programs:

1.  Norton Ghost

2.  Norton Save and Restore (the consumer version of Ghost)

3.  Acronis True Image

4.  Drive Image XML (Free!)

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Hmm thats a good idea, thanks. Does this also prevent me from having to activate all the time?
    Friday, June 8, 2007 6:32 AM
  • Ace514,

Yes, since the "snapshot" of the installation is taken after activation, every time you put the snapshot back into place, it is still activated, unless of course you install the snapshot on a different computer.

Friday, June 8, 2007 1:53 PM
  • Tks Stephen & Dan, all the steps you mentioned were in the right direction, practically word for word what I was told to do by the rep from Microsoft in the email I received yesterday. Unfortunately the end result is the same. My copy is coming up as not activated by the WGA diagnostic and every attempt to validate it comes up nil. I was on hold waiting for a rep on the Activation hotline for over 15 minutes before I finally had to hang up as it was nearly midnight and I had an early start today at work. The PC originally had a valid copy of Winodws XP Professional Version 2002. It IS OEM but came with a legit CoA. Worse yet the machine is a couple years out of warranty, though when I spoke with someone at Alienware he gave me the impression there really wasn't much he could have done either way.

Here's the dump from WGAdiagnostic:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7XB27-J87Q4-4V4HY
    Windows Product Key Hash: BRSGP/UhXyXm7NCWjg7xmgRlIn8=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00228
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 6be27da6-5aad-4e7b-9aad-4b7899d08736
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-138-80041014_025D1FF3-324-80040154_025D1FF3-269-80040154
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>6be27da6-5aad-4e7b-9aad-4b7899d08736</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4V4HY</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2211906-00228</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1801674531-2000478354-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1014.001</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051013000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>alienware,alienware,alienware,alienware</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>F6F03AD70184EA53</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Alienware Corp.</name><model>CustomPC</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Over the last month I was able to use the disk to install and upgrade the OS and most of the original hardware drivers. Upon initial install I was prompted to activate windows which I did.. Two days ago I had a minor problem with my video card but between fixing that by going into safe mode and trying to reboot to reinstall the drivers I seem to have messed up my bios settings and couldn't exit without changes so I had to re load defau;t bios settings and that probably flipped the significant hardware trigger.

Right now I'm waiting to hear back from the rep in handling my case. 

Presently I can't even run the activation tool because the rep had me disable the dll... (?)

Let me dig up some ifo and I'll post here again.

Thanks

-Jason

Saturday, June 9, 2007 2:14 AM

All replies

• Smot,

Please do a Telephonic product activation:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Sunday, June 3, 2007 3:30 PM
  •  

Now it's Ok.

Thank you very much

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 5:31 PM
  • Smot,

You're welcome!  Glad you're up and running again.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 5:39 PM
  • Genuine Windows Validation problem pls send the salusation
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Hasanimam,

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 9:14 PM
  • I am having the same problem right now. So do I have to do a phone activation everytime I reformat now? Geeze hope that doesnt add another hour of waiting around for a reinstallation.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 4:07 AM
  •  

Dan at IT Associates wrote:

I've had nearly the exact same problems listed here. I have a support ticket pending with Microsoft but I'm still trying to check it out myself. I've run the above mentioned utility and it says my previously active and valid copy of XP Pro (SP2) is invalid. The message comes up whenever I reboot and doesn't go away. The activation key icon and Windows is not activated icons offer little help. I've followed all of the hints I've found here on the forums for the better part of the day.  My telephonic response was less than helpful. The rep didn't ask whether there was lettering or logos of the manufacturer on the CoA. There aren't any such signs on the label, but the machine originally came from Alienware and is unfortunately out of warranty. The key doesn't work anymore and I'm out of ideas. Currently running the Windows Live: One Care utility and waiting for Microsoft to contact me.

Thursday, June 7, 2007 4:28 AM
  • Ace,

You are allowed to perform a certain number of activations then you must activate via the telephone. 

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:54 PM
  • JStars,

What type of Windows XP do you have?  Is it OEM? As you can see from the website (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx)  there should be a COA sticker attached to the system by the builder. Did you check all the papework which originally came with the computer and see if maybe it was attached to it vs. on the system?  Also what prompted the re-validation? Did you install new hardware?  Alienware should provide support for OEM installed software. Let Alienware know there wasn't a COA located on the system upon purchase and now is giving you a problem. Also contact Microsoft regarding the status of your support ticket and ask about the recommendation. 

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:07 PM
  • JStarrs,

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:12 PM
  • Ace514,

Telephone activation usually takes less than 7 minutes.

If your specific situation calls for frequently reformatting and cleanly installing your Operating System, a valuable time saving step would be to employ disk imaging to take a bit-by-bit "snapshot" of a fresh installation of XP.  The next time your have to reformat, you reimage instead, saving all that time staring at Windows Setup and all that time waiting for 100 Windows Updates to download and install!

Google for these programs:

1.  Norton Ghost

2.  Norton Save and Restore (the consumer version of Ghost)

3.  Acronis True Image

4.  Drive Image XML (Free!)

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Hmm thats a good idea, thanks. Does this also prevent me from having to activate all the time?
    Friday, June 8, 2007 6:32 AM
  • Ace514,

Yes, since the "snapshot" of the installation is taken after activation, every time you put the snapshot back into place, it is still activated, unless of course you install the snapshot on a different computer.

Friday, June 8, 2007 1:53 PM
  • Tks Stephen & Dan, all the steps you mentioned were in the right direction, practically word for word what I was told to do by the rep from Microsoft in the email I received yesterday. Unfortunately the end result is the same. My copy is coming up as not activated by the WGA diagnostic and every attempt to validate it comes up nil. I was on hold waiting for a rep on the Activation hotline for over 15 minutes before I finally had to hang up as it was nearly midnight and I had an early start today at work. The PC originally had a valid copy of Winodws XP Professional Version 2002. It IS OEM but came with a legit CoA. Worse yet the machine is a couple years out of warranty, though when I spoke with someone at Alienware he gave me the impression there really wasn't much he could have done either way.

Here's the dump from WGAdiagnostic:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7XB27-J87Q4-4V4HY
    Windows Product Key Hash: BRSGP/UhXyXm7NCWjg7xmgRlIn8=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00228
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 6be27da6-5aad-4e7b-9aad-4b7899d08736
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-138-80041014_025D1FF3-324-80040154_025D1FF3-269-80040154
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>6be27da6-5aad-4e7b-9aad-4b7899d08736</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4V4HY</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2211906-00228</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1801674531-2000478354-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1014.001</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051013000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>alienware,alienware,alienware,alienware</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>F6F03AD70184EA53</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Alienware Corp.</name><model>CustomPC</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Over the last month I was able to use the disk to install and upgrade the OS and most of the original hardware drivers. Upon initial install I was prompted to activate windows which I did.. Two days ago I had a minor problem with my video card but between fixing that by going into safe mode and trying to reboot to reinstall the drivers I seem to have messed up my bios settings and couldn't exit without changes so I had to re load defau;t bios settings and that probably flipped the significant hardware trigger.

Right now I'm waiting to hear back from the rep in handling my case. 

Presently I can't even run the activation tool because the rep had me disable the dll... (?)

Let me dig up some ifo and I'll post here again.

Thanks

-Jason

Saturday, June 9, 2007 2:14 AM
  • Leaving the name out of it here's a cut and paste from the one email...

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", type in "oobe/msoobe /a"
    and press Enter. 

Note: there is a space between "msoobe" and "/a". 

2. The Activation window should appear.

3. Please follow the activation instructions that appear on your screen to activate
    the Windows system.

If we encounter any issues in performing the above steps, we can also contact Microsoft
    Activation Center on 888-571-2048 (toll free) or 716-871-2929 to manually activate
    Windows

For detailed information, please refer to the following Knowledge Base article: 

Title: Activation and registration of a Microsoft product 

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326851

If the validation issue persists after the Operating System has been activated, 
    we can try the following steps to see if the issue can be resolved.

Step 1: Un-register the licdll.dll file

==========================

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and click OK.

2. At the command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326851

regsvr32 /u licdll.dll

net stop winmgmt

Step 2. Run Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADiag.exe) to test the
    result again

========================================================================

1. Please locate the MGADiag.exe file we downloaded to the Desktop earlier 

2. Double click on the file to run the tool.

3. Click the "Continue" button.

4. Under the "Windows" tab, click the "Copy" button. 

5. Open an email, and paste (when editing the email, press Ctrl + V) the information
    collected by the tool. 

6. Please send the email to me at 

If the Validation Status is still set as "Not Activated", in order to 
    narrow down the cause of this issue and provide more effective suggestions, we need
    to collect more information.

Please capture a screenshot if an error message occurs on the validation page.

Screenshot 

========= 

1. Please access the following website and click the "Validate Now" button
    on the webpage:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/WhyValidate.aspx?displaylwindowsang=en

2. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

3. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.

4. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type
    a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop"
    on the left pane, and click Save.

5. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: <omitted> @mssupport.microsoft.com

Product Key

==========

Please enclose the entire 25 digit Product Key as well and I will help you to verify
    if it is valid. It should be printed on the CD package or a sticker on your computer.
    To help locate your Windows Product Key, we can also refer to the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/LocateProductKey.aspx?displayLang=en

Please also let me know the Operating System version for the Product Key, such as:
    "Windows XP Professional" or "Windows XP Home Edition". It can
    also be found on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) of your computer.

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email
    application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will
    provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click
    in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the
    file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it
    once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.

Highlighted some information... First off this was the one and only email after the automated respose after my initial inquiry.

Nowhere did I recive instructions to download the WGAdiag to the desktop. A minor quibble easily overlooked and easy to do.

I think "unregistering the

dll  regsvr32 /u licdll.dll

net stop winmgmt

may have done more harm than good. Can't access the Activation wizard at all. Thed pop-ups reminders, an ugly grey star icon reminding me "This copy of Windows is not activated" are all still there. I still don't  have an "activate windows" section in my system tools (Never did) the command line function 

oobe/msoobe /a

does nothing. Even selecting yes to the reminder/nag about activation that always comes up at boot still yields bupkiss.

Guess I'm stuck waiting for further instructions unless someone here has a clue what I can try at this point.

I've been down this road before years ago with an old Win95 machine. It's a hassle but some help is always a godsend when your at wits end.

At the risk of repeating myself and/or overstating my distress.

The install disk was OEM from an original puchase with a legit CoA. It worked before and worked for about a month before I accidentally flummoxxed some BIOS settings re-installing drivers, or so I assume. I was able to upgrade the OS (WinXP Pro ver 2002 for anyone who came in late.) And I was able to upgrade the OS up to current specs through Microsoft Update to Service Pack 2.

Wondering if a total wipe and re-install would yield differnt results?

Thanks for reading this.

Saturday, June 9, 2007 2:59 AM
  • Leaving the name out of it here's a cut and paste from the one email...

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", type in "oobe/msoobe /a"
    and press Enter. 

Note: there is a space between "msoobe" and "/a". 

2. The Activation window should appear.

3. Please follow the activation instructions that appear on your screen to activate
    the Windows system.

If we encounter any issues in performing the above steps, we can also contact Microsoft
    Activation Center on 888-571-2048 (toll free) or 716-871-2929 to manually activate
    Windows

For detailed information, please refer to the following Knowledge Base article: 

Title: Activation and registration of a Microsoft product 

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326851

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326851

regsvr32 /u licdll.dll

net stop winmgmt

Step 2. Run Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADiag.exe) to test the
    result again

========================================================================

1. Please locate the MGADiag.exe file we downloaded to the Desktop earlier 

2. Double click on the file to run the tool.

3. Click the "Continue" button.

4. Under the "Windows" tab, click the "Copy" button. 

5. Open an email, and paste (when editing the email, press Ctrl + V) the information
    collected by the tool. 

6. Please send the email to me at 

If the Validation Status is still set as "Not Activated", in order to 
    narrow down the cause of this issue and provide more effective suggestions, we need
    to collect more information.

Please capture a screenshot if an error message occurs on the validation page.

Screenshot 

========= 

1. Please access the following website and click the "Validate Now" button
    on the webpage:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/WhyValidate.aspx?displaylwindowsang=en

2. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

3. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.

4. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type
    a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop"
    on the left pane, and click Save.

5. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: <omitted> @mssupport.microsoft.com

Product Key

==========

Please enclose the entire 25 digit Product Key as well and I will help you to verify
    if it is valid. It should be printed on the CD package or a sticker on your computer.
    To help locate your Windows Product Key, we can also refer to the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/LocateProductKey.aspx?displayLang=en

Please also let me know the Operating System version for the Product Key, such as:
    "Windows XP Professional" or "Windows XP Home Edition". It can
    also be found on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) of your computer.

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email
    application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will
    provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click
    in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the
    file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it
    once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.

Highlighted some information... First off this was the one and only email after the automated respose after my initial inquiry.

Nowhere did I recive instructions to download the WGAdiag to the desktop. A minor quibble easily overlooked and easy to do.

I think "unregistering the

dll  regsvr32 /u licdll.dll

net stop winmgmt

may have done more harm than good. Can't access the Activation wizard at all. Thed pop-ups reminders, an ugly grey star icon reminding me "This copy of Windows is not activated" are all still there. I still don't  have an "activate windows" section in my system tools (Never did) the command line function 

oobe/msoobe /a

does nothing. Even selecting yes to the reminder/nag about activation that always comes up at boot still yields bupkiss.

Guess I'm stuck waiting for further instructions unless someone here has a clue what I can try at this point.

I've been down this road before years ago with an old Win95 machine. It's a hassle but some help is always a godsend when your at wits end.

At the risk of repeating myself and/or overstating my distress.

The install disk was OEM from an original puchase with a legit CoA. It worked before and worked for about a month before I accidentally flummoxxed some BIOS settings re-installing drivers, or so I assume. I was able to upgrade the OS (WinXP Pro ver 2002 for anyone who came in late.) And I was able to upgrade the OS up to current specs through Microsoft Update to Service Pack 2.

Wondering if a total wipe and re-install would yield differnt results?

Thanks for reading this.

Saturday, June 9, 2007 3:01 AM
  • JStarrs,

Try reregistering the licdll.dll file, then restart, and try the oobe/msoobe /a command at the Run command once again.

To reregister licdll.dll:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\licdll.dll, and then click OK.
    3. In the RegSvr32 dialog box, click OK.
    4. Restart the computer.

Saturday, June 9, 2007 2:13 PM
  • Thanks Dan.

That was the answer I was looking for, but it didn't work. Sorry about the duplicate posts earlier. Been a couple of bad nights. Lost touch with my tech. Almost all of my emails were bounced. Spoke with someone at support through chat and all they could tell me was

"...due to some restructuring in support teams, there is shifting in the internal process team. I am sorry, that your case has been un-responded and deactivated."

We're past the 11th hour here. My tech didn't get fired I guess since I got an email today, just a "we're still on the case" sort of thing. But the activation icon says the grace peiod has ended. I'm afraid to reboot now! Not sure whether Winows will even load.

Let me ask something here, while I still can. Do you think I have a valid argument for a "false positive" (didn't want to use that phrase, but there it is.) I understand from some research that it's more common than anyone wants to admit (Ignore this editorializing if you want.)

I rebuilt this machinee using the majority of the same hardware... (I've said all this before, sorry.) The mother board is a replacement (but just one generation newer than the original), original CPU, original nVidia card, etc etc, right down to the original drive with the original OS loaded from the original OEM disk...

Bear with me a moment. I just need to get this out. So... a month agao this all worked like a charm. The original OS was Win XP Pro Version 2002. SAys that on my system properties window. The original purchase was in 2004 with a valid CoA key...

Now here's my beef. If I never activated and validated this second install, how come the same system properties window says I'm running Service pack 2? I used Microsoft Update religiously. Can you say brand loyalty? I'm on a slow dial-up connection, was planning to go broadband very soon since I transfered jobs closer to home and have a raise coming. I needed all the updates because I had problems losing my connection from port sniffing attacks. (ZoneAlarm's information helped explain that.)

I don't mean to rant but, like I said, I stayed on top of the updates through the best and most legit source and I can still access my update history on the website! That's all I can access on Microsoft Update unfortunately since this all started three days ago. But I ask you, doesn't that lend credence to my argument?

Can Microsoft read my usage of their update site through my registry or would a screenshot be credible?

Sorry if I sound irate. If it didn't seem so terminal (pardon the pun) it'd be hilarious.

I may as well continue being pushy...

Does anyone know if there are any non-technical legal recourses if working within the system ultimately fails? I could easily get copies of the bill of sale, a digital picture of the CoA label I've been clutching in my hand so often....

Sorry if that's off-topic here. Point me in the right direction and I'll go.

As always thanks for listening and all the help.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 4:00 AM
  • JStarrs,

Why did you replace the motherboard?

Monday, June 11, 2007 12:02 AM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

JStarrs,

Why did you replace the motherboard?

Original mobo was fried, out of warranty, prior to this issue, which... is RESOLVED!

Pardon my enthusiastic caps. This wernt far smoother than I could ever have expected.

I was told by the first tech who I was having intermittent email support that my case was still open, she was handing it over. I called the toll free number that a tech router had given me after hours Saturday and was immediately dreading the whole business when a cheery robotic voice identified the line as paid technical support, but after puching zero and repeating my case number and spelling of my first and last name a few times I was connected with a patirent gentleman who conference called with the activbation team. It took three tries re-validating, repeating the site ID numbers... One failed, the second time I got disconnected, could have been my phone, but the third time, and this is the best part... The tech called ME on the cell I had given him, while I was calling back on the land line!!! Quality service is a joy to behold! Anyay, bottom, line is it worked!

I guess all that was needed was a little persistance.

Never give up hope true believers!

Thanks for everything!

Monday, June 11, 2007 7:38 PM
  • JStarrs,

Glad to see it all worked out in the end!

Thank you for hanging in there thru a few rough patches

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:19 PM