none
Windows Home Server Media Connect Crashes - RRS feed

• Question

• So here's what's happening.  I was running Windows Home Server on a XP1800 (1.5GHz) with 1.5 GB RAM, 1 - 80 GB HDD and 1 - 250 GB Hard drive for the past 6 months.  All of a sudden on Saturday morning my Home Server Crashed when I remoted into it using Remote Desktop from my computer and rebooted.

I should also note that all my other systems are using Windows 7 and this is the first time that I've had this issue with my Home Server.

When it came back up and I was able to get into it again - It came up with 2 errors:

- The First was an error about Microsoft Media Connect caused a serious error.
    - The Second was Windows has recovered from a Serious Error (Essentially bsod).

The system ran fine for about 10 minutes then it happened again.
    I rebooted the server and the same two errors popped back up. 
    The system ran fine for about 4 hours, so I decided to backup all the shares onto my external drive (as I do once per month).  During the backup process it crashed again. 
    I was finally able to complete the backup process onto my external drive and everything seemed fine.
    About an hour later, my fiance went to our shared music directory on the server and was unable to pull up her playlist.  She informed me the server seemed to have crashed again and sure enough it was sitting at the wonderful bsod so I went to reboot. 

At this point the server won't come back up at all and I've determined that it's going to be a clean install of the Home Server software, however, has anyone else had this issue happen?
    If so, did you know what caused it crash so it wouldn't happen again?
    I have not installed any new software on my server other than the standard windows updates.

Any information would be helpful so that when I reinstall, I don't have the same problem happening over and over again as we use the server as our mainstay for all our files and we do listen to our music/moves across our home network.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:53 AM

Answers

• Do you have the detials of the BSOD.  If you can just remember the last few digits in the first long number it helps.  In my experience bad memory chips often are to account for BSODs 0x0000000E. 

You can download and run memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com/

Or perhaps wait until the BSOD comes up again and write down the error code.

Also you might want to check your HDDs - 80GB circa XP1800 must be ending it's life.  Expect 3-5 years of use before a HD starts to die.
    --
    • Marked as answer by Psychocyr Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:11 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:09 AM

All replies

• Do you have the detials of the BSOD.  If you can just remember the last few digits in the first long number it helps.  In my experience bad memory chips often are to account for BSODs 0x0000000E. 

You can download and run memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com/

Or perhaps wait until the BSOD comes up again and write down the error code.

Also you might want to check your HDDs - 80GB circa XP1800 must be ending it's life.  Expect 3-5 years of use before a HD starts to die.
    --
    • Marked as answer by Psychocyr Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:11 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:09 AM
  • Hey Al,

I tried running the memtest86 as well as get the actual BSOD error number, unfortunately, my server is now only rebooting and once it comes up it crashes again and reboots.  I spent about an hour on working on it this morning.

At this point, I'm going to try a reinstall of the OS and see if that resolves it.
    I'm more than sure that it's a MB issue as I ran into BSOD several times over the last few months, but I never did get the exact error code.  Also IDE Channel 2 did die on it about 3 months ago  so we were hoping to baby it until we can replace the entire system, however it doesn't look like this will be possible so we'll have to do without until I can put together a new system.

If I do get the error code I will definitely post back and let you know what it was.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:11 AM