Home Server Restore Success story RRS feed

• Question

• I came home yesterday afternoon to see that my personal desktop was stuck at the BIOS screen. Uh-oh. Some error about a missing or corrupted system file in the System 32 folder.

I rebooted...this time got a "disk is missing or corrupt" message.

***...I had work to do! I didn't want to spend all day rebuilding my desktop, copying files from my external HD backup......backup? Hey! I have WHS...isn't this supposed to help me in times like this?

The answer, thankfully, was yes.

I used my wife's computer to download and burn the Restore CD iso to dvd, rebooted my computer into the Restore environment, and was nicely presented with a list of drives to restore, and drop-down lists from my WHS box of all backups. I picked the most recent complete backup and said GO. Three hours and 261 GB's later, I had a fully restored and functioning desktop back...no reinstalling the OS/apps, copying My Documents from backup, etc.

Sweet.

Now, I just hope that my system problem doesn't come back, since I have no idea why it happened.

Anyway, a big thumbs up for WHS and backup/restore.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 11:03 PM

Answers

• Wow I can share your happiness and horrors as well

Thursday my son calls me to inform of hardware issues on my XP Home box.

I fretted what should I do now.

Then it hit me What a great time to try the Home Restore CD!.

Saturday morning while all were asleep I crept down with Home Server Beta Kit in hand.

First I installed an 80 GB WD Caviar hard drive and installed the old drive as a slave so I can analyze it when I have the time.

Second I booted up with the Restore cd and followed the prompts to start the restore process.

Third after a few hours I was pleased to see my familiar desktop with everything intact

That one factor made me a believer in the home server program I am testing.

And the great news is that there are other cool features I am using and sharing with other users.

You Go Home Server!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:19 PM

All replies

• Yeeeeaaayyy!  Let all the users rejoice!

Seriously, you should probably run a CHKDSK to make sure your hard disk isn't going wacky.

Question: if your 40G drive goes bad and you replace it with an 80G drive, will the restore CD restore everything and let you have an 80G drive, or will you have a 40G partition on the 80G drive?

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:55 PM
  • Wow I can share your happiness and horrors as well

Thursday my son calls me to inform of hardware issues on my XP Home box.

I fretted what should I do now.

Then it hit me What a great time to try the Home Restore CD!.

Saturday morning while all were asleep I crept down with Home Server Beta Kit in hand.

First I installed an 80 GB WD Caviar hard drive and installed the old drive as a slave so I can analyze it when I have the time.

Second I booted up with the Restore cd and followed the prompts to start the restore process.

Third after a few hours I was pleased to see my familiar desktop with everything intact

That one factor made me a believer in the home server program I am testing.

And the great news is that there are other cool features I am using and sharing with other users.

You Go Home Server!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:19 PM
  • When im reading this topic, it makes me love "Home Server" even more...

Where im stock, it's the Home Server it self, after i played with some: MS SQL, Sharepoint an some personal WWW page.

Now i need to restore my Server 4 days back in time, but im not 100% on how to do it. Do i use the restore CD i this case?

Mvh.

Nuke

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:31 PM