Possible install on Snap Appliance 4500 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Snap Appliance 4500.   These boxes normally run a linux based OS called GuardianOS.   I got this one second hand,  it had no OS on it.   It is essentially a 1U Server with 4x 250GB Wester Digital hard drives in it.

It is a Pentium 4 2.5ghz with 2GB RAM(I upgraded from 512)  It does not do any hardware RAID.   It has a "watchdog" in the bios that requires a driver from the Guardian OS to start or it reboots the server.   I disabled that and it now lets me boot from a USB DVD drive and starts the WHS install.   The setup detected all the devices all 4 hard drives. 

The problem I have is when it reboots after the initial System partition being created and copies files,  it reboots and asks me to enter a password and shows the Windows Small Business Server install blue screens with the yellow copy bar.   It copies all the files,  reboots and then starts the same install all over again.   This is where I am confused.   I am stuck at this point,  it repeatedly wants to run the copies again and reboot.   Does anyone have any idea?

It seems like everything is working properly and the install starts but then goes into the Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server install and it does not want to complete.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 1:49 PM

All replies

• Is it rebooting from HDD or DVD?  A bit of a long shot here, but maybe it's booting from DVD only and not HDD.

cheers,
    Ben
    Friday, March 2, 2007 4:12 PM
  • I removed the DVD and let it boot from the HD and then reinserted the DVD after the system started booting from the Hard Disk.

It is booting weird too,  because I have installed WHS twice at work and it never asks me for a password until the whole server is setup.   I am not sure if it is a "video" problem.   it boots into the blue screen version of the install not the GUI/windows like version.     Does that help?

Friday, March 2, 2007 4:24 PM
  • I was hoping your system was not attempting to boot from HDD and that the installer was restarting, but it's clear from your reply that's not the case.

Likewise - I don't recall entering a password until late in the setup routine.

Sorry I can't help more.  :-(  The only other idea I have is that, if it's failing on the file copy stage, maybe one (or more) of the HDDs is faulty and it's not copying across correctly.  Perhaps you could swap the booting drive for one of the other 3 and see what happens.

cheers,
    Ben
    Friday, March 2, 2007 4:46 PM
  • I am not sure if I had steps out of order or not.  I am retrying the install now.  I will update later on my progress.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 11:36 PM
  • I got it installed.    It was restarting in the blue screen due to the Remote Access Serial port or EMS as Windows called it.   The old snapserver was headless linux box with a Serial Console.   Well Windows detected it and that is why it was asking for a password so early in the process.

I got it installed.  Now I have a completely different problem.   I cannot connect with the Windows Server Console from ANY of my Computers.  I can ping it,  remote desktop to the home server.  But cannot connect with the software.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 3:56 PM