none
Allow "Undo Propose as Answer"

Question

• Several times I have accidentally clicked on "Propose as Answer" (usually because the web page updated as I was clicking on something else, and I ended up clicking Propose as Answer instead of the thing I meant to click).

Having done that, there is no way to undo the mistake. It would be nice if there was.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 1:36 PM

Answers

• For those who are still reading this thread, you can "Unpropose As Answer" now.

So the answer to this thread is...

Great idea!

The advice was taken, and the feature now exists!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Oh yeah, but not relevant to this thread. We kindof got sidetracked into marking and unmarking answers. This thread is not about that. :)

So to get things back on track:

Having proposed something as an answer, I want to be able to unpropose it. Currently, it is not possible to do so.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 3:17 PM

All replies

• You can do this by clicking the same button. The text will be converted to Unpropose answer.
    SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:39 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by SachinW Wednesday, January 5, 2011 12:18 PM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Yea would be a great solution, can we expect it be implemented before the end of the year, most here are waiting already a long time for it?

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Once you pressed this button, it does not exist anymore.

So why did you propose the post that said "You can do this by clicking the same button. The text will be converted to Unpropose answer. " ?

Seems odd to me.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 2:05 PM
  • It's there, albeit hidden from view.  We just don't have privilege to undo it.

Here's your proposed markup.  Uncheck it and try to submit it.  No can do.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/thread/852d10d6-965f-40b9-877f-f29b8402a94a/389461fb-4842-4c07-8107-a71f0806f096/proposeAnswer

Unless it's being used to generate a smirk, I think the Propose As Answer is the most error-prone, misused, obnoxious thing on this site.  I have an idea though. 

Suppose it was made unavailable until after at least one post has already been marked Answer.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:33 PM
  • I use this button a lot  - I like it, as it allows me to show my support for a particular response. I don't think we need to remove it once the thread has an answer, as there may be better responses later on.

But I do think it will be nice that if a person marked a particular response, he/she will be able also to unpropose it. As sometimes it is done by mistake or sometimes after re-thinking someone can realize that proposed answer was not a good answer.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:48 PM
  • But I do think it will be nice that if a person marked a particular response, he/she will be able also to unpropose it. As sometimes it is done by mistake

I'm a Moderator in some forums and about once a week there's a post in which someone says they have proposed the previous post by mistake and could the Moderator please remove the propose as answer.

Usually I've already done that (I work done from the top of the thread of course so I see the proposed post first) but even the fact that people feel the need to say they have clicked on Propose as Answer by mistake means that it ought to be possible for *the same person* to also unpropose it.

Having this would be popular with Moderators too as we need to occasionally check through threads with proposed posts. So getting rid of the "by mistake" ones would be helpful.

Moderators can of course always both propose and unpropose so MS Forum software people checking this need to do it in forums where they are not Moderators!

Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:33 PM
  • I don't think we need to remove it once the thread has an answer, as there may be better responses later on.

I said:

Suppose it was made unavailable until after at least one post has already been marked Answer.

Maybe this is clearer:

Suppose it was made unavailable until at least one post has already been marked Answer.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:55 PM
  • I'm sorry Naom.  I didn't mean to insult you.

My idea is, the button isn't present unless some post is already marked Answer.  I think my suggestion solves 4 problems.

(1) Since most posts arrive before any are marked Answer, it will be impossible to mistakenly strike a Propose button (with no option to fix).

(2) The flurry of misuse will be eliminated, as newcomers with a tendency to do that will not revisit the thread after it's Answered.

(3) Those who'd really like their post to also be marked Answer will have a cooling-off period to reflect on it.

(4) Most importantly, the Propose As Answer will now have a meaning that it supplements the original Answer as another alternative, or is possibly even better.

Respectfully.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Point #5
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Although this thread seems to support the "unmark as answer" feature, threads in (for example) the C# Language forum do NOT support it. It appears that the feature is topic-specific.

• Marked as answer by Matthew Watson Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:31 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Matthew Watson Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:31 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:31 AM
  • Although this thread seems to support the "unmark as answer" feature, threads in (for example) the C# Language forum do NOT support it. It appears that the feature is topic-specific.

No those who don't know the answer on a problem, decide if an given answer is correct and controls that answer. 

As simple example.

A question who delivers babies in a Microsoft forum will often have as marked answer. "Storks", while in fact if it was well done all mechanisms are available to prevent that.

Success
    Cor
    • Marked as answer by Matthew Watson Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:56 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Matthew Watson Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:27 PM

No those who don't know the answer on a problem, decide if an given answer is correct and controls that answer. 

As simple example.

A question who delivers babies in a Microsoft forum will often have as marked answer. "Storks", while in fact if it was well done all mechanisms are available to prevent that.

Success
    Cor

I'm talking about the PROPOSE as answer feature, not the MARK as answer feature - that's what the difference is.

We are indeed able to mark and unmark answers.

What we are NOT able to do is to UNPROPOSE.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:56 PM
  • >We are indeed able to mark and unmark answers.

>What we are NOT able to do is to UNPROPOSE.

It should be noted that the "we" who is "indeed able to mark and unmark answers" is only the person who started the thread. Nobody else - except Moderators - can Mark and Unmark posts (except I presume the posts they wrote themselves (?))

Thursday, January 6, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Oh yeah, but not relevant to this thread. We kindof got sidetracked into marking and unmarking answers. This thread is not about that. :)

So to get things back on track:

Having proposed something as an answer, I want to be able to unpropose it. Currently, it is not possible to do so.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 3:17 PM
  • It is extremely important in this thread, propose an answer from somebody else as answer in another question thread which you have not made, you will see you cannot unmark that again.

It seems that nobody can get that to your brains.

Success
    Cor
    Friday, January 7, 2011 2:16 PM
  • > It seems that nobody can get that to your brains.

This sort of thing is completely unnecessary. As an MVP you should know better,

It was clear from the start that the thread was about not being able to unpropose a propose as answer that had been made to someone else's post.

Friday, January 7, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Mike,

If you feel yourself abused that I made that conclusion, than I feel sorry for that, that was not my intention, however I was also not able to do that. 

I was not giving any qualifying, however somehow Matthew took again and again the wrong conclusion, that loop I've also sometimes so I pointed him on that.

Success
    Cor
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 11:31 AM
  • I was not giving any qualifying, however somehow Matthew took again and again the wrong conclusion, that loop I've also sometimes so I pointed him on that.

I accidentally spoke of "unmark" instead of "unpropose" in ONE reply.

I certainly didn't take "again and again the wrong conclusion"!

Monday, January 10, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Matthew, 

Than I probably misunderstand you, can you explain for me with my low level of knowledge from forums what you mean with this sentence.

I know that you mean "proposed answers" with it, but that is not what I don't understand.

Although this thread seems to support the "unmark as answer" feature, threads in (for example) the C# Language forum do NOT support it. It appears that the feature is topic-specific.

Thanks,

Cor

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Yes, that was the one reply that I messed up. It was the "again and again" that you spoke of with which I took issue. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Monday, January 10, 2011 6:37 PM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Matthew,

What forum does support it, I cannot undo my own proposal now. 

Cor
    Monday, January 10, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Matthew,

What forum does support it, I cannot undo my own proposal now. 

Cor

hi ,

only a few it seems

or click report and ask it to be unmarked , or wait for a mod to come ,....

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! 
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:05 AM

• I see your idea, but I don't like it. I want to be able to propose the answer at the time I read the thread and it usually happens before any Answers are marked. Your idea will solve certain problems, but it also will limit other people abilities to demonstrate their position.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

My blog

Naom, I just noticed your ProposeAnswer in this earlier thread.  I find that so outrageous, I just had to revisit this thread and mention it.

In that thread, as here, I think there is an apparent language difficulty that leads Cor to some uncomfortable miscommunications.  In both directions.  Although I didn't want to mention it there, I actually favored Mike's handling of that thread in question.  Not that I disagreed with Cor's principle though.  It's difficult.  However, I took great exception in the distorted rationale that was presented in Mike's defense.  That post is forever marked ProposeAnswer, Naom.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:42 AM
  • I forgot what led me to that particular thread and why I proposed that particular answer as an answer. In general I appreciate when proper English is used in forum's communication and I dislike things which are OK in chat windows to be used in forum's conversations. May be that's why I proposed this as an answer.

Don't remember and don't think this thread is relevant to this particular discussion about ability to unpropose.

My blog

It is totally relevant here.

You should have read that thread in it's entirety before you hit the button.  Particularly, you should've examined the very source of that ProposeAnswer you marked.  That <snip> was taken totally out of context.  It was an assault against Cor.  And recently you Proposed it?  5 months after!?   It's not too late now to see how wrong you were.  Click that link.

Then UnProposeAnswer that mark of yours.

You can't.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:02 AM
  • For those who are still reading this thread, you can "Unpropose As Answer" now.

Great idea!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:45 PM
  • > For those who are still reading this thread, you can "Unpropose As Answer" now.

No you can't. There is no "Unpropose as Answer" option for me here as I am not a Moderator.

So your post needs an explanation. I.e. you need to say *who* now can Unpropose an Answer. Moderators have always been able to unpropose an answer so who are the people who *now* (in addition) can unpropose an answer?

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:15 PM
  • What Ed means, now you can unpropose an answer which you previously proposed. This was suggested in the thread and was implemented.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Thanks Naomi.

My point was that this has been a very long thread and he was replying to a thread where the previous last post was in January.

Given both these things he needs to spell out in his post exactly in what circumstances this is a new feature.

I got an alert with his message and it wasn't helpful; I then went into the thread and saw that I still couldn't  unpropose the post of someone proposing their own post (as he did!) unless I was a Moderator. I even tried to find a clue as the the circumstance in which it did work by scanning the thread but as I said above it is a long thread and I missed the one (?) post which gave a clue.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Thanks Naomi.

My point was that this has been a very long thread and he was replying to a thread where the previous last post was in January.

Given both these things he needs to spell out in his post exactly in what circumstances this is a new feature.

I got an alert with his message and it wasn't helpful; I then went into the thread and saw that I still couldn't  unpropose the post of someone proposing their own post (as he did!) unless I was a Moderator. I even tried to find a clue as the the circumstance in which it did work by scanning the thread but as I said above it is a long thread and I missed the one (?) post which gave a clue.

Good point. But that wasn't the original question.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:09 AM

Great idea!

hi ,

actually no , ... and what about all the other different fora ?

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! 
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:57 AM

Great idea!

hi ,

have a nice day

The original question was specific about being able to click "unpropose" to an answer that you proposed yourself. That feature now exists today. Can you see it?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:51 PM

Great idea!

hi ,

have a nice day

The original question was specific about being able to click "unpropose" to an answer that you proposed yourself. That feature now exists today. Can you see it?

Thanks!

hi ,

nope , on some forums yes , but often its no , ... script errors on long threads , etc , ...

have a nice day

Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Dabur,

Can you link to some examples where you are currently unable to unpropose posts that you proposed?

That's likely a new topic and new thread to discuss.

This topic was around the feature, not a bug of the feature (but I agree that it should be addressed).

Thanks!

Thursday, January 5, 2012 6:06 PM