none
WHS Restore Cannot Find Network Card RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 PC with an Intel 82567lm NIC. I have copied all of my driver files to a flash drive, as well as the complete WHS Drivers for Restore folder. However when the Wizard scans the flash drive to find the drivers no network device is found, and hence the Restore cannot find the server.  Any solution to this, which would allow a restore to proceed would be much appreciated.  Thank you.  Regards,  John Docherty
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:41 AM

All replies

• If you have a 64 bit version of windows 7 installed, you will need 32 bit drivers to complete a "bare metal" restore. Your computer or NIC manufacturer can normally supply such drivers for you. If you have trouble finding drivers (for instance I think there are a couple of Dell models which only have 64 bit drivers available) you can eitehr get drivers from the manufacturer of the NIC chipset (Intel) or you can look into buying a cheap PCI NIC with good driver support, then install and use that temporarily. I happen to like Intel NICs, and usually you can find a cheap one on e.g. NewEgg for $25 or so.

Finally, if nothing else seems to be working for you, you can take the drive you want to restore and connect it to some other computer with the connector installed. I would use a drive-to-USB bridge, which you can get for (again) $25 or so. Then on that other computer, run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\clientrestorewizard.exe . This is the same software the Restore CD uses, just hosted in a functional Windows environment rather than the WinPE environment of the Restore CD.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 1:41 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for your response. I am using 32 bit Windows 7 and have looked at the drivers availble from Intel, however when the WHS Restore software is being used what version of Windows is that ? (Intel don't mention WHS on the list of OS for which drivers are available.)  Even if I download the drivers from Intel I get an exe which wants to install the drivers on the Windows 7 box - where they already are. The issue I have is how do I get these to be accessible to the Restore disc if my Windows 7 box is needing to be restored ?  (I was trying to do that this week to overcome a problem with some recently changed software - not essential to do a restore but I found out that I couldn't do one if required.)  While I appreciate your reply, surely WHS should be able to restore a PC running the latest version of Windows and an Intel motherboard and NIC, without having to resort to removing drives etc. 

Regards, John Docherty

Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:13 AM
  • Windows Home Server's restore CD is based on the same version of WinPE that the vista installation environment is based on, so it has driver support similar to that, and uses the same (Vista x86) drivers. Microsoft unfortunately doesn't have any control over how drivers are distributed and installed by equipment manufacturers, so there will always be drivers (and hardware) that are problematic. Intel is not the only "problem child" here; Realtek NICs typically require a special procedure to get drivers as well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by VFRider Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:22 PM
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Thanks Ken. Having had a problem with a Restore a few years ago due to the data corruption issue (which meant I lost my allegedly backed up system and had to reinstall everything from scratch) and this issue, one does wonder if WHS is actually all that it is meant to be. It certainly does not seem to deliver what is 'promised'.   In the meantime if anyone can tell me how to get the required Intel drivers on to a flash drive I would be extremely grateful.   Thank you. Regards,  John Docherty.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Thanks Ken. Having had a problem with a Restore a few years ago due to the data corruption issue (which meant I lost my allegedly backed up system and had to reinstall everything from scratch) and this issue, one does wonder if WHS is actually all that it is meant to be. It certainly does not seem to deliver what is 'promised'.   In the meantime if anyone can tell me how to get the required Intel drivers on to a flash drive I would be extremely grateful.   Thank you. Regards,  John Docherty.
    You should download the Vista x86 drivers for your NIC, then (since they are apparently delivered via an exe) use a zip program (i.e. WinZip) to extract the drivers from the exe, then copy the drivers to the flash drive.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 5:13 PM
  • You have two other options:
    How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment
    or you create a Windows 7 based recovery stick as described in this thread.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:34 AM
  • IMHO, this post is the answer.  However, the drivers need to be 32 bit and for VISTA.  32 bit drivers for Windows 7 will not work. 

VFRider
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Thank you! This tip just saved me from insanity, I could not figure out why things did not work, 64 bit drivers!
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Thanks Ken!
    Monday, October 10, 2011 12:48 AM
  • After 4 hours of trying to find the right drivers for an Intel NIC on my newer laptop I finally gave up.  I was waiting for WHS 2011 and it was a disaster - so it's not an option.  This exercise shows that I simply can't wait and stay with the original WHS - it's just getting to long in the tooth.  I'm going to opt out and go to Linux and a different backup solution.
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:05 PM