Automatic Update shouldn't be required RRS feed

• Question

• I manage a group of company computers and we recently decided to switch to OneCare as our antivirus software.  The problem I have is that we don't want Automatic Updates for Windows to be on, and with One care it reports this as being insecure (and appears as red all the time).  I manage these computers and run updates on them regularly so they are always up to date, but we don't want Windows to be downloading updates while we are using these computers for business purposes or giving presentations.  Other than this issue we like OneCare, but this is a problem we need to resolve or we will be moving to another company for our antivirus requirements.  Any suggestions on how to make OneCare accept my terms for Automatic Updates?
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:20 PM

Answers

• You can't change this behavior of OneCare. It is something that has been discussed here for years.
    You may want to have a look at the post linked below, as you will be switching after your current subscription(s) expires. I'll note that Microsoft Security Essentials (linked to in the post I'm sending you to) does not require AU to be set to anything specific, just that the service is available/on.
    Unfortunately, MSE is not licensed for use in a business environment - it is intended for home/home business use only.
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/0000c782-ed1b-4ed3-8afb-87989bb9638c

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:57 PM