Accessrights for administrators not working RRS feed

• Question

• For my WHS 2011 serverfolders I created a striped drive which workes fine. The administrator has full access and all remote users have proper access, working perfectly.

Now I ceated a new (local) account for the server, with administrator rights, as such this account is put in the administrators group, which has full control on the mentoined drive.

Strange is this account doesn't have any righ / access to this drive, until I add the account in the security tab of this drive.

It's working but I don't understand the reason why it doesn't work while the account is in the administrators group. Does anyone knows an answer?

Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:05 PM

Answers

• The problem is found and solved. One rule in the security tab from the disc was for some reason changed. Restoring this made everything work as it should.
    • Marked as answer by Aarnoud Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:02 PM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:01 PM

All replies

• I assume you are doing things outside the Dashboard?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:19 PM
  • I do this outside the dashboard. Don't even know how to create a local administrator using the dashboard.

For logging I want to give a second administrator a separate login. Account creation went fine but one drives is accessable though the security tab give all administrator full access,

Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:39 PM
  • What you are trying to do is not supported!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Is there only one administrator allowed, what is the restriction?
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:52 PM
  • I don't know if you can create another Administrator account, but configuring the Server outside the Dashboard is not a supported scenario and may or may not work - in your case it appears not to!

Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Should I upgrade to 2008 Essential then or does it have that same restriction?

So I am not allowed to use the servermanager or console for managing the system.

Functions not supported should be disabled, now you give an administrator the right to configure unsupported scenarios.. Happy I don't service windows servers as a day job ;-D

• Edited by Aarnoud Thursday, June 7, 2012 4:07 PM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 4:04 PM
  • The problem is found and solved. One rule in the security tab from the disc was for some reason changed. Restoring this made everything work as it should.
    • Marked as answer by Aarnoud Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:02 PM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to know the issue got fixed on your end, and thanks for your time and sharing. I believe other buddies will get benefit from your resolution.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 8, 2012 6:40 AM