cannot use windows defender after downloading microsoft security essentials RRS feed

• Question

• when i open my control panel and click on windows defender, nothing comes out and an error message comes out instead...
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:01 AM

All replies

• when i open my control panel and click on windows defender, nothing comes out and an error message comes out instead...

EXACTLY the same with me. What use is "Fix it" if no fix is offered? Web search shows doing "Run" with winmgmt/verifyrepository then winmgmt/salvagerepository. Neither works (run can't find). Is this one of those "Quality" Vista things? I'm running Vista Home Premium (still) and expect...., well, who knows what to expect from Vista?
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Exact same issue....help!!!
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:00 AM
  • Maybe Essentials and Defender can't co-exist? I would hope that if this is so then a MS employee here would say so.

I have found no reasonable way to turn Essentials off (can it be deleted thru Settings?) and doing Properties on Defender only shows old 2008 & 2009 files and I KNOW that I allowed Update to do updates (7 - 2010) whenever they showed.

I only installed Essentials because: 1. My paid anti virus expired.  2. Vista "nagged" me about no AV installed.  3. Since Essentials was from MS (a "trusted" source?), it was supposed to work without messing up other programs and it was NOT posted up-front as a Beta.

So, I'll give this FixIt place a bit more time. Then, from the MS site there is an offering (MicrosoftDefender.msi) that will (?) install Defender on several Operating Systems (one mentioned is Vista). How my existing Vista is going to feel about me trying to install Defender (on top?) of my existing, but not working, Defender...?

addendum, 6PM:

Going from the DOS prompt, winmgmt/verifyrepositor, the return is repository verified, so...

the following from Windows Vista Forums has not been tried:

Microsoft Help and Support: KB931849 Error message when you run Windows Defender: "Error Code 0x800106ba"

The gist, from above, is to REMOVE (existing) Defender and then reinstall.  There is NO MENTION of Essentials and one is lead to believe that the problem happens when Defender is updated. Since the other folks report the problem concurrent with Essentials, I suspect installing Essential is THE problem.

I wonder if doing System Restore to a date/time prior to installing Essentials will fix the problem? I also wonder why MS people have not responded here, or anywhere?

• Edited by y4806 Friday, August 6, 2010 1:39 AM addendum
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:38 PM
  • After a LOT more digging, Defender and Essentials do NOT coexist. Essentials KILLS Defender. Why this little fact is not mentioned when you are invited to install Essentials remains unknown. Also, why the several MS forums do not interact automatically when this problem is posed is another mystery.

So,

Sticky Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:45 PM Kevin Hau <abbr class="affil">MSFT</abbr> <abbr class="affil">, Moderator</abbr> Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals

Q: How is this different from Windows Defender?

A: Windows Defender detects and removes known spyware only. It is not designed to protect against the full breadth of malicious software, and specifically does not prevent viruses, worms, Trojans, and other malicious software from infecting your machine. The new no-cost solution will be a comprehensive anti-malware solution.

Q: Is Microsoft Security Essentials designed to replace Windows Defender?

A: No but if you are running Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need to run Windows Defender. Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to disable Windows Defender in order to manage the PC’s real-time protection, including anti-virus, rootkits, Trojans and spyware.

Q: Does installing Microsoft Security Essentials disable Windows Defender
    A: 
    Microsoft Security Essentials should disable Windows Defender on Vista and Windows 7 and uninstall it from XP. In some cases, this does not happen automatically.

Q: Do I need to manually disable or uninstall Windows Defender if I am using Microsoft Security Essentials?
    A: If Microsoft Security Essentials did not automatically disable Windows Defender on Vista or Windows 7, you should disable it to prevent conflicts. Windows Defender cannot be uninstalled from Vista or Windows 7.
    If Microsoft Security Essentials did not automatically uninstall Windows Defender on XP, you should manually uninstall Windows Defender via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs.

Q: What happens if I do not disable or uninstall Windows Defender if I am using Microsoft Security Essentials?
    A: If Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender are both running, your system may experience performance degradation and other problems caused by the conflict of two services providing real time protection simultaneously.

Friday, August 6, 2010 6:02 PM