Upgrade from first version of WHS available ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

I am currently running first version of WHS for my small business. I was wondering if anybody knows to upgrade path to WHS 2011 and what are the glitches (if any) with this upgrade.

Please share you experience.

Thanks, Jiri

Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:45 PM

Answers

• There is no planned upgrade path. The way disks are handled is completely different, add-ins for V1 aren't compatible with Windows Home Server 2011, and hardware requirements are significantly higher for Windows Home Server 2011.

Best practice is to buy or build a new server, then copy data from the old server to the new server. Also, consider one of the other offerings Microsoft has in this space: Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials, or Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials. One of those might better suit your needs as a small business.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ocino Sunday, June 26, 2011 4:12 PM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:54 PM

All replies

• There is no planned upgrade path. The way disks are handled is completely different, add-ins for V1 aren't compatible with Windows Home Server 2011, and hardware requirements are significantly higher for Windows Home Server 2011.

Best practice is to buy or build a new server, then copy data from the old server to the new server. Also, consider one of the other offerings Microsoft has in this space: Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials, or Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials. One of those might better suit your needs as a small business.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ocino Sunday, June 26, 2011 4:12 PM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:54 PM
  • I am currently running first version of WHS for my small business. I was wondering if anybody knows to upgrade path to WHS 2011 and what are the glitches (if any) with this upgrade.

Windows Home Server v1 is 32 bit only . . . Windows Home Server 2011 is 64 bit only . . . an upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit won't work.

Nancy Ward
    Monday, June 27, 2011 12:56 AM