none
Computer crash RRS feed

• Question

• The old computer running WHS just stopped working for some reason during the day. Tried to start it with a different PSU, but that didn`t do any good. Anyone have any ideas to how I should get the data off my discs? Can I put them in a different computer and reinstall the server? Would that preserve my shared folders?

Monday, September 7, 2009 7:50 PM

All replies

• The old computer running WHS just stopped working for some reason during the day. Tried to start it with a different PSU, but that didn`t do any good. Anyone have any ideas to how I should get the data off my discs?

If you want to recover the data, see the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure for details.

Can I put them in a different computer and reinstall the server?

Yes, a Server Reinstallation should work (provided it's not the hard drives that are the problem).  Just try to keep the drives in the same order (especially the primary drive).  However, if it was me, I'd try to determine exactly what went wrong with the server first.

Would that preserve my shared folders?

Yes.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 9:13 PM
  • Ok. Just to be sure. You think it would work if I take the drives out of the old computer and put them in my pc in stead of the drives there. Put them in in the same order on the SATA ports on the motherboard (primary drive in 1 etc). And do a server reinstallation? 
    This would be the easy solution. The How to recover data after server failure seems a bit more complicated, but doable if I really need to.

As to what went wrong with the old computer I think it would be hard to determine. It doesn`t start with the old PSU. When I try to start it with a working PSU it seems to start, but the screen stays black. And the cpu fan isn`t working. So the problem has probably started in the PSU or the CPU overheated.

If I can put them into a computer I know is working and start it from there I`l probably be laughing until I`ve backed up all the data.

Do you think it will be possible to just put the drives in in the correct order and start it without reinstalling the server just to get the data out quickly?
    Monday, September 7, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Ok. Just to be sure. You think it would work if I take the drives out of the old computer and put them in my pc in stead of the drives there. Put them in in the same order on the SATA ports on the motherboard (primary drive in 1 etc). And do a server reinstallation? 

Yes.  Just make sure you do a Server Reinstallation (not New Installation).

This would be the easy solution. The How to recover data after server failure seems a bit more complicated, but doable if I really need to.

As to what went wrong with the old computer I think it would be hard to determine. It doesn`t start with the old PSU. When I try to start it with a working PSU it seems to start, but the screen stays black. And the cpu fan isn`t working. So the problem has probably started in the PSU or the CPU overheated.

If I can put them into a computer I know is working and start it from there I`l probably be laughing until I`ve backed up all the data.

Do you think it will be possible to just put the drives in in the correct order and start it without reinstalling the server just to get the data out quickly?
    Only if the 2 computers have comparable chipsets.  However, if you are looking to recover data (instead of Reinstallation), I would strongly suggest you follow the link I provided earlier.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 10:05 PM
  • If you have only very few disks in your WHS, it may make the reinstall easier, if you can change the SATA controller mode to IDE. SATA drivers, if needed, have to be provided two times (the second time usually via floppy drive), since they are not native part of Windows Server 2003.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:04 AM
  • Thank you very much for your help. I have decided to try a reinstallation with the discs in another computer. I will tel you how it went when I` done.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:25 PM