Cannot log into my work PC from home RRS feed

• Question

• A few months ago I learned that it is possible to use Live Mesh to log into my work PC from home.  What I would do is go to www.mesh.com log into my Windows Live ID that I use at work, and then see my mesh there.  Then I would love into my work desktop from home.  It worked fine and I loved it.

However, a few days ago when I tried to do the same thing it wouldn't work.  I logged into my mesh associated with my work Windows Live ID, and I saw my work desktop there, along with an warning next to my work desktop saying that it was having difficulty syncing.  I am not sure if that has anything to do with my not being able to log into my work PC or not, but it may.  Anyway, when I did try to log into my work PC, nothing would happen.  Or if anything did happen, it would popup a dialog box asking me if I wanted to log in, and that is as far as it got.

I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem or not, but I'm now using Windows 7 at home, whereas when I did it before I was using Windows Vista.  My work desktop is Windows XP Pro SP3.

Rod
    Friday, November 6, 2009 6:35 PM

Answers

• The problem is not likely due to Windows 7 on the home PC, the problem is either in the network or with the Live Mesh software on the work PC - since you are using the web to initiate the connection and the Live Desktop is showing that your work PC is having an issue communicating with the network for Sync and also for remote desktop.
    Has anything changed on the work PC or with your office network? A firewall could be blocking the access. If there have been no network changes at work, I'd consider reinstalling the Live Mesh client on the work PC to see if that resolves it.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:53 AM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 7:33 PM

All replies

• The problem is not likely due to Windows 7 on the home PC, the problem is either in the network or with the Live Mesh software on the work PC - since you are using the web to initiate the connection and the Live Desktop is showing that your work PC is having an issue communicating with the network for Sync and also for remote desktop.
    Has anything changed on the work PC or with your office network? A firewall could be blocking the access. If there have been no network changes at work, I'd consider reinstalling the Live Mesh client on the work PC to see if that resolves it.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:53 AM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 7:33 PM
  • Don't really know what the problem was.  I've found that it could literally take a few minutes for the connection to occur.  But it seems to work now.

Thank you.

Rod
    Friday, December 4, 2009 8:36 PM