locked
How Much Free Space Do I Really Have? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi there, Hoping someone can help me out with this, I have dug around the forums and tryed a few things but no luck yet..

    My Home Server is reporting that I have 107GB Free Space in console, Yet when I try to copy data via any of the shares over the network it says I don't have enough free space for say a 350mb file.

    Some info:
    My total storage reported in console is 1.99TB
    My system drive is on a partitioned 500gb drive (I don't have any disks installed larger than this)
    I have 44gb of duplicated files reported in Console
    Backups are turned off
    Console says my storage is balanced
    I'm not beta testing the powerpack
    When I mount any share as a network drive it reports that their is 170mb free, the same as my computer reports for the D: drive when logged in over remote connection
    I have tried many reboots at different points

    So I guess my question is do I really only have 170mb free or 107gb? if it is 170mb why is console reporting it so wrong and how can i fix it?

    It is possible that in the past i have copyed files directly to the D: drive (I know its not recommended) but i no longer do. As suggested in another thread, I have looked at the properties of all the shares in d:\shares. The size and size on disk seem to be correct for all the shares (size on disk is anywhere between 2mb for one share and 2.10gb for my video share which is 1.22TB in size).

    This may be related I'm not sure, but i just deleted 6gb of files to free up some space, this has made no difference to the free space reported, i still cannot copy my 350mb file. I have not tried rebooting yet (i think in the past this has worked) - should I need to for it to show up?

    Also i don't really understand shadow copies and such like work but if this could be an issue please can someone tell me what to look for.

    If you need anymore info to help just let me know
    Thanks in Advance
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:38 PM

Answers

  •  fishbrains wrote:
    Hi there, Hoping someone can help me out with this, I have dug around the forums and tryed a few things but no luck yet..

    My Home Server is reporting that I have 107GB Free Space in console, Yet when I try to copy data via any of the shares over the network it says I don't have enough free space for say a 350mb file.

    Some info:
    My total storage reported in console is 1.99TB
    My system drive is on a partitioned 500gb drive (I don't have any disks installed larger than this)
    I have 44gb of duplicated files reported in Console
    Backups are turned off
    Console says my storage is balanced
    I'm not beta testing the powerpack
    When I mount any share as a network drive it reports that their is 170mb free, the same as my computer reports for the D: drive when logged in over remote connection
    I have tried many reboots at different points

    So I guess my question is do I really only have 170mb free or 107gb? if it is 170mb why is console reporting it so wrong and how can i fix it?

     

    WHS keeps 20 GB free per drive for file expansion.  If you have 5 drives, then you are right at the edge.  You will need to add another drive.  How many drives do you have?


     fishbrains wrote:
    It is possible that in the past i have copyed files directly to the D: drive (I know its not recommended) but i no longer do. As suggested in another thread, I have looked at the properties of all the shares in d:\shares. The size and size on disk seem to be correct for all the shares (size on disk is anywhere between 2mb for one share and 2.10gb for my video share which is 1.22TB in size).

    This may be related I'm not sure, but i just deleted 6gb of files to free up some space, this has made no difference to the free space reported, i still cannot copy my 350mb file. I have not tried rebooting yet (i think in the past this has worked) - should I need to for it to show up?


    You could try it.

     

     fishbrains wrote:
    Also i don't really understand shadow copies and such like work but if this could be an issue please can someone tell me what to look for.

    If you need anymore info to help just let me know
    Thanks in Advance

    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:49 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  •  fishbrains wrote:
    Hi there, Hoping someone can help me out with this, I have dug around the forums and tryed a few things but no luck yet..

    My Home Server is reporting that I have 107GB Free Space in console, Yet when I try to copy data via any of the shares over the network it says I don't have enough free space for say a 350mb file.

    Some info:
    My total storage reported in console is 1.99TB
    My system drive is on a partitioned 500gb drive (I don't have any disks installed larger than this)
    I have 44gb of duplicated files reported in Console
    Backups are turned off
    Console says my storage is balanced
    I'm not beta testing the powerpack
    When I mount any share as a network drive it reports that their is 170mb free, the same as my computer reports for the D: drive when logged in over remote connection
    I have tried many reboots at different points

    So I guess my question is do I really only have 170mb free or 107gb? if it is 170mb why is console reporting it so wrong and how can i fix it?

     

    WHS keeps 20 GB free per drive for file expansion.  If you have 5 drives, then you are right at the edge.  You will need to add another drive.  How many drives do you have?


     fishbrains wrote:
    It is possible that in the past i have copyed files directly to the D: drive (I know its not recommended) but i no longer do. As suggested in another thread, I have looked at the properties of all the shares in d:\shares. The size and size on disk seem to be correct for all the shares (size on disk is anywhere between 2mb for one share and 2.10gb for my video share which is 1.22TB in size).

    This may be related I'm not sure, but i just deleted 6gb of files to free up some space, this has made no difference to the free space reported, i still cannot copy my 350mb file. I have not tried rebooting yet (i think in the past this has worked) - should I need to for it to show up?


    You could try it.

     

     fishbrains wrote:
    Also i don't really understand shadow copies and such like work but if this could be an issue please can someone tell me what to look for.

    If you need anymore info to help just let me know
    Thanks in Advance

    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:49 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for the quick response kariya21

     kariya21 wrote:

    WHS keeps 20 GB free per drive for file expansion.  If you have 5 drives, then you are right at the edge.  You will need to add another drive.  How many drives do you have?



    Actually I have 6 physical drives (one of which has the system drive partition on it). I have looked in Computer Management/Disk Management it reports that my D: drive has 170mb free (the magic number). The rest have less than 20gb free ranging from 16.19gb to 19.02gb. Does that sound right to you?

    Could you expand on what you mean by file expansion? If this effectively means that 20gb (although is appears to be less?) on each drive cannot be used that seems a little crazy. If your in my situation with 5/6 drives 100gb is a fair bit to lose. If I had ten drives that would equal a whole smaller drive's worth of space sitting there doing nothing (or is it nothing?). Either way sounds like its time for a new drive!

    Just to satisfy my curiousity on my other little question, Is it normal to have to reboot to show the free space created by a recently deleted file/files? Or does it perhaps take sometime to show up?
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:42 PM
  •  fishbrains wrote:
    Thanks for the quick response kariya21

     

    Actually I have 6 physical drives (one of which has the system drive partition on it). I have looked in Computer Management/Disk Management it reports that my D: drive has 170mb free (the magic number). The rest have less than 20gb free ranging from 16.19gb to 19.02gb. Does that sound right to you?



    Yep, you definitely need another drive.

     

     fishbrains wrote:
    Could you expand on what you mean by file expansion? If this effectively means that 20gb (although is appears to be less?) on each drive cannot be used that seems a little crazy.

     

    It keeps that space in reserve so if you add data to a file that's already on that drive, it doesn't have to move the file to another drive (it just creates more room for it on that drive).

     

     fishbrains wrote:
    If your in my situation with 5/6 drives 100gb is a fair bit to lose.

     

    Personally, I'd like to see it lower as well (I would think 10 GB per drive would be enough).

     

     fishbrains wrote:
    If I had ten drives that would equal a whole smaller drive's worth of space sitting there doing nothing (or is it nothing?). Either way sounds like its time for a new drive!

    Just to satisfy my curiousity on my other little question, Is it normal to have to reboot to show the free space created by a recently deleted file/files? Or does it perhaps take sometime to show up?

     

    Do you mean in the WHS console or the free space shown from a mapped share?  The WHS console should show it immediately.  The mapped share may not show up in your case at all (because it still has nowhere to move the files).  By the way, do you have PP1 beta installed?

    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:53 PM
    Moderator
  • Ah thanks for the explanation. i get it. I agree that 10gb might be more appropiate in that case, anyone know if their is a way of changing it?

     kariya21 wrote:


     

     fishbrains wrote:
    Just to satisfy my curiousity on my other little question, Is it normal to have to reboot to show the free space created by a recently deleted file/files? Or does it perhaps take sometime to show up?

     

    Do you mean in the WHS console or the free space shown from a mapped share?  The WHS console should show it immediately.  The mapped share may not show up in your case at all (because it still has nowhere to move the files).  By the way, do you have PP1 beta installed?



    No i didn't mean the info on a mapped share. I'm not sure about on the console, i rarely log into it as it takes so long. What I mean't was when i'm actually trying to copy a file and it says 'You need additional ***mb space to copy this file' (or words to that effect). the *** value doesn't change after I have deleted files to make more space.

    No i don't have PP1 beta installed.




    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:29 PM
  •  fishbrains wrote:
    Ah thanks for the explanation. i get it. I agree that 10gb might be more appropiate in that case, anyone know if their is a way of changing it?

     

    Not to my knowledge.

     

     fishbrains wrote:
    No i didn't mean the info on a mapped share. I'm not sure about on the console, i rarely log into it as it takes so long. What I mean't was when i'm actually trying to copy a file and it says 'You need additional ***mb space to copy this file' (or words to that effect). the *** value doesn't change after I have deleted files to make more space.

     

    Then you probably haven't deleted enough files yet (to get any one of your secondary drives above 20 GB free so WHS can migrate data from your primary drive to that secondary drive).  My suggestion would be to just install another drive.

     

     fishbrains wrote:
    No i don't have PP1 beta installed.

     

    OOPS!  You said that the first time.  Sorry about that.

     

    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:18 AM
    Moderator