My Sony vaio laptop stolen at last night RRS feed

• Question

• 1. Can the Genuine Advantage system be used to track the IP address of an individual product key? If so, can a suitably authorised person (i.e. policeman) ask Microsoft to provide the IP against a product key?

2. Can I seriously inconvenience the toerag who has it now by reporting the XP and Office 2003 product keys stolen? If so, how?

While the laptop is apparently covered by insurance, it would be nice if, like the SETI@home program, the fact that a PC "calls home" now and again could be turned to the advantage of the ordinary user.

I wish I'd kept a note of the wireless card MAC address, too.... my work laptop was also stolen but I 

Friday, November 11, 2011 11:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• "Peeyush Gupta" wrote in message news:854950eb-c9d9-4184-9249-a98ef533068b...

1. Can the Genuine Advantage system be used to track the IP address of an individual product key? If so, can a suitably authorised person (i.e. policeman) ask Microsoft to provide the IP against a product key?

2. Can I seriously inconvenience the toerag who has it now by reporting the XP and Office 2003 product keys stolen? If so, how?

While the laptop is apparently covered by insurance, it would be nice if, like the SETI@home program, the fact that a PC "calls home" now and again could be turned to the advantage of the ordinary user.

I wish I'd kept a note of the wireless card MAC address, too.... my work laptop was also stolen but I

Heh! I know the feeling.
    You can try reporting the Key to MS piracy, or an Activation rep – who will probably ask for further details to prove that you are the owner, and then *may* Block the Key from activation and/or Validation.

There is no other way this can legally be done, I suspect.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, November 11, 2011 11:36 AM
  • For future reference: Preventing Laptop Theft and Norton Anti-Theft
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, November 11, 2011 6:03 PM