none
Removing HDD from HDD pool RRS feed

• Question

• I'm presently in the middle of removing a 40G drive, but the process seems to be taking an unusually long amount of time.  The HDD status light on my computer is still flickering away busily and I can still navigate around the PC, so WHS hasn't crashed or stalled, but it's been almost an hour and I wouldn't have thought it'd need so much time just to reshuffle 40G worth of files onto the primary HDD.

Has anyone else removed a HDD from their WHS? How long did it take you?

Monday, February 26, 2007 6:22 AM

All replies

• I tried it out with my 80GB secondary drive.  It took several hours, I don't know exactly how long as after an hour or so I went to bed.  But in the morning was fine.  I then re-added it to the WHS.  It should work just be patient.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 11:55 AM
  • I'm planning on doing much the same tonight. I'm going to remove my RAID array so I can break the disks out individually and see if I get better performance in certain applications. I'm not looking forward to the time it's likely to take.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:22 PM
  • One thing to be aware of is that when removing drives, you may lose data.  In the two times that I used the remove drive wizard, I lost several files out of my shares.  The folders were still there (even the nested folder structure), but the folders themselves were empty.  I've filed bugs on Connect, but wanted to let you know that especially in this case, you should have all the data backed up on your WHS box before you remove any drives, JUST IN CASE.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:55 PM
  •  Janssen Jones wrote:
    One thing to be aware of is that when removing drives, you may lose data. In the two times that I used the remove drive wizard, I lost several files out of my shares. The folders were still there (even the nested folder structure), but the folders themselves were empty. I've filed bugs on Connect, but wanted to let you know that especially in this case, you should have all the data backed up on your WHS box before you remove any drives, JUST IN CASE.

Thank you for the warning! Per other posts of mine, I have absolutely no irreplaceable data on WHS right now, so if files disappear, it's no biggie.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 5:42 PM