none
Forum view out of sync RRS feed

• Question

• This thread in C# General is out of whack.  Looking at it from the forum view page, it shows 0 replies and 1 view.  When I click the preview button, it actually shows 2 replies, made 6 and 5 1/2 hours ago.  Marked answered too, but the icon is still a question mark.  Refreshing the forum view page repeatedly has no effect.  Opening the thread, then refreshing the forum view page doesn't increment the Views counter.  The thread view has the "answered" icon and otherwise seems up to date.

I've been seeing lots of sync problems the past few days.  Threads not getting filtered or not showing up in My Threads page.  I reported this before.  The frequency of it comes and goes, it has been bad since ~Thursday.  The odd thing about this problem is that I understood one forum to be serviced by a dedicated shard.  Syncing shouldn't be an issue.

I backspaced three version of commentary.  Just the facts ma'am.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:08 PM

Answers

• woohoo! I think I've got a solid lead/theory on the "Forum page shows X when Thread shows y" type issues and I'm going to try and work it into to this weeks release. I believe it has to do with cache dogpiling prevention code we have in combination with a cache put failure which we see maybe 100 times a day (where cache activity per day is on the order of millions of ops).
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:07 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the detailed observations. That actually helps a lot, it says that the underlying cached thread is correct, but the cached page output for the thread page was for some reason was not expired along with it. These kind of issues are going to be the forefront over the next few weeks.

For My Threads, later this coming week we should be pushing a new version out that helps with this. The My-centric issues are mainly rooted in replication deadlocks and we've made some db changes accordingly.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:19 AM
  • woohoo! I think I've got a solid lead/theory on the "Forum page shows X when Thread shows y" type issues and I'm going to try and work it into to this weeks release. I believe it has to do with cache dogpiling prevention code we have in combination with a cache put failure which we see maybe 100 times a day (where cache activity per day is on the order of millions of ops).
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:07 AM
  •  Read the thread as you suggested. Very ineresting but incomprehensible:) Dogpiling means when you take a dog for a morning walk I presume? Hard to prevent this type of things. It is natural:)
    AlexB
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:44 AM
  • "Woohoo" sounds good.  Looking forward to seeing these nagging issues getting resolved.  Thanks Rob.
    Hans Passant.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:09 PM