none
How are file moves handled in SyncToy 2 ? RRS feed

• Question

• For SyncToy2, if I have two identical directory trees (i.e. source, destination) and I move a file within my source directories (echo mode), does it delete the file in the destination directory and recopy it to the appropriate destination directory or does it simply perform the same move on the destination directory.

Obviously I'm hoping that it uses the later option since I sometimes move large files to better organise my directories and I'd hate to have SyncToy do all that extra delete and recopy.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi -

Asssuming you these are two identical directory trees  ( and they have been kept in sync using SyncTOy 2.0 - i.e. this is not a first time sync with SyncToy), and a move is the only change that has happened then it will be the latter. We will detect it as a move and move it on the destination. But we do use a heuristic for this - so if we cannot be entirely certain that it is a move, we will delete and recopy in that case.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Hi.

So SycToy could keep track of a given action (i.e. a move), rather than a final state which could be the consecuence either of a move, or a copy and delete. Or simply it performs the best operation to achieve a result, regarding the way it was done?

Thanks.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:18 PM