Multiple Instances of Same Computer in Console RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had a problem where backups mysteriously stopped on my computer.  Through much troubleshooting and reinstalling the connector on the desktop and getting backups working again, I notice there are now 2 instances of my computer in the server console.  All my previous backups are now on the old instance that is grayed out.  Why am I getting this 2nd instance of the same computer?  I'm concerned because I have kept the very first backup from last fall after a clean install of Windows Vista.  I want to keep that version so if I ever need to restore I'm going back to that clean install.  I don't want to go back to an older image.
    How can I get those backup jobs merged into one instance?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 9:54 PM

All replies

• tjubb said:

I recently had a problem where backups mysteriously stopped on my computer.  Through much troubleshooting and reinstalling the connector on the desktop and getting backups working again, I notice there are now 2 instances of my computer in the server console.  All my previous backups are now on the old instance that is grayed out.  Why am I getting this 2nd instance of the same computer?

Because it's not based on computer name.  It's based on a unique ID that is assigned to each computer when you join it to the server.  Did you reinstall your OS?

tjubb said:

I'm concerned because I have kept the very first backup from last fall after a clean install of Windows Vista.

You shouldn't use WHS as an archive for backups.  It's meant strictly for disaster recovery.

tjubb said:

I want to keep that version so if I ever need to restore I'm going back to that clean install.  I don't want to go back to an older image.

How can I get those backup jobs merged into one instance?

Thanks,
    Tom

You can't.  Your options at this point are to restore your computer to either A) your clean install backup or B) your most recent backup under the old machine ID.

Friday, March 6, 2009 4:28 AM
  • kariya21 said:

Because it's not based on computer name.  It's based on a unique ID that is assigned to each computer when you join it to the server.  Did you reinstall your OS?

Anyway to retrieve that ID from the WHS and edit the registry on the workstation with that info?

kariya21 said:

You shouldn't use WHS as an archive for backups.  It's meant strictly for disaster recovery.

Well then what's the point of having multiple backups saved on the WHS with the option to save any one of them indefinitely?  That seems like disaster recovery to me if I want to go back to a clean Vista install with a core set of programs installed on it.

Thanks,
    Tom

Friday, March 6, 2009 5:01 AM
  • tjubb said:

Anyway to retrieve that ID from the WHS and edit the registry on the workstation with that info?

There are some keys in the registry that might be what you're looking for.  However, I've never tried to do what you want to do because it's unsupported and definitely not recommended (which means try at your own risk).

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients

tjubb said:

Well then what's the point of having multiple backups saved on the WHS with the option to save any one of them indefinitely?

Because if your backups fail last night, you still have a backup from the night before.  As for indefinitely, sure you can, but the backup database is somewhat fragile (an error in any one sector can wipe out your entire backup database).

tjubb said:

That seems like disaster recovery to me if I want to go back to a clean Vista install with a core set of programs installed on it.

Thanks,
    Tom

No, that's archiving. Disaster recovery is to get back to the last known good state, not the state it was 6 months ago when you first installed.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 5:17 AM