none
When does MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 certification retire? - different dates on Microsoft Website RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed two different dates given for the retirement of the MCITP Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 certification - July 31 2013 and "after April 2013".

Which is right?

In Microsoft Learning, on the MCITP page, in the Windows section http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcitp-certification.aspx it states:

These certifications will be retired on July 31, 2013.

• MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008
    • MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008
    • MCITP: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2 

But on the Certification Overview page, within the Frequently Asked Questions section http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification-overview.aspx, in answer to a FAQ it states:

Q.Will I be able to earn an MCTS for passing exams that count towards the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification?
    A. You will continue to earn an MCTS for passing Exams 70-640 and 70-642 until April 2013. Until April 2013, when you earn an MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification, you will also receive the MCITP: Server Administrator certification. After April 2013, the MCITP: Server Administrator certification will be discontinued.

PS: I know the exams (640, 642, 646) continue and are part of the new MCSA: Windows Server 2008, I'm just enquiring about the MCITP certification.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:20 PM

Answers

• Here's the official response I got back from Microsoft Learning:

The answer should be:

A.You will continue to earn an MCTS for passing Exams 70-640 and 70-642 until July 31, 2013. Until July 31, 2013, when you earn an MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification, you will also receive the MCITP: Server Administrator certification.After July 31, 2013, the MCITP: Server Administrator certification will be retired.

They’re updating the web page now. Thanks!

Thanks for raising this as an issue DataCruncher.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:19 PM

All replies

• What this is stating is that up until April 2013, when you obtain the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification you will automatically gain the MCITP: Server Administrator certification as well.  After April 2013 you will not automatically gain the MCITP: Server Administrator certification when you obtain the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification however you still have until 31st July 2013 to obtain the MCITP: Server Administrator via other means.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

• Proposed as answer by Aalamjeet Rangi Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DataCruncher Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:29 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:37 PM
  • I hadn't marked this as an answer because the words in my original question had just been rearranged into a different order as a reply. I appreciate the reply though Mr Wharty and the work you do on the forums.

I'm also not sure this is an answer because Mr Wharty states the MCITP can be obtained "via other means". I'm confused as to what these 'other means' means are - being as the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 and MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 are comprised of the same 3 exams.

I'm still unsure if I pass the 3 exams in May, June or July 2013 if I'd still be awarded the MCITP certification in addition to the MCSA.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:41 AM
  • By "other means" I was referring to people who may be upgrading from MCSA: Windows Server 2003 to MCITP: Server Administrator by doing exams 70-648 and 70-646.

No you will not be awarded the MCITP certification.

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:54 AM
  • I contacted Microsoft through their Help and Support webpage today as follows:

• Membership Level: MCP
      Subject: Expiry date of MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008
      Problem Area: Products
      I understood the expiry date for the MCITP: Server Administration 2008 certificate is July 31, 2013.
      But on the Microsoft Certification Overview page, within the Frequently Asked Questions section (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification-overview.aspx), in answer to a FAQ it states:
      Q.Will I be able to earn an MCTS for passing exams that count towards the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification?
      A. You will continue to earn an MCTS for passing Exams 70-640 and 70-642 until April 2013. Until April 2013, when you earn an MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification, you will also receive the MCITP: Server Administrator certification. After April 2013, the MCITP: Server Administrator certification will be discontinued.
      Is the answer on the FAQ page "until April 2013" wrong?
      Should this say until July 31, 2013? - like it says elsewhere on the Microsoft Learning website?  

and received this reply:

• Dear xxxxxx, 
      Thank you for your e-mail regarding Microsoft Certification program. 
      The information in the FAQ section is indeed incorrect, as the retirement date for the MCITP certifications is July 31st 2013. 
      Thank you for pointing out this misleading information, we will escalate this case to the technical team to correct the details on our website. 
      We hope this is of assistance. 
      If you have any further questions please get in touch with us and we will be happy to assist you in any way we can. 
      Kind Regards
      Katarzyna Kamizelich 
      Microsoft Regional Service Center
      E-Mail: emeamcp@msdirectservices.com
      Tel.: 0800 9170758 or 0800 0960137
      Fax: ++49 5 24 11 79 60 77

Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:34 PM
  • The reply you got from them does not address your question. 

Yes the MCITP: Windows Server certification does expire on 31st July 2013 (as stated in the reply) however what the FAQ deals with is the granting of both the MCITP: Windows Server and MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certifications when you pass the required exams.  The FAQ is stating that you will NOT receive both the MCITP: Windows Server and MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certifications if you pass the exams after April 2013, you will only receive the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification.

I will escalate this to a contact at Microsoft Learning for clarification as I've had this discussion with other MCT's and they too believe the MCITP: Server Administrator certification will no longer be awarded with the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification after April 2013. 

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:47 PM
  • Here's the official response I got back from Microsoft Learning:

The answer should be:

A.You will continue to earn an MCTS for passing Exams 70-640 and 70-642 until July 31, 2013. Until July 31, 2013, when you earn an MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification, you will also receive the MCITP: Server Administrator certification.After July 31, 2013, the MCITP: Server Administrator certification will be retired.

They’re updating the web page now. Thanks!

Thanks for raising this as an issue DataCruncher.

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:19 PM
  • 11th March and Microsoft website FAQ still remains unchanged...

I'm begining to doubt the accuracy of anything written on the Micro$oft website, especially since we spot an error, have it confirmed and it doesn't get updated.

* I wonder if I retrained on Linux....

Monday, March 11, 2013 12:24 AM
  • email from Micro$oft today.

We are writing with reference to the incorrect data regarding the MCITP certification expiration date stated on Microsoft Learning Site.
    Please be kindly advised that the website has been amended ant the MCITP certification retirement date was corrected to reflect as July 31st 2013.
    Thank you once again for reporting the issue, your feedback is highly appreciated.
    If you have any further questions please get in touch with us and we will be happy to assist you in any way we can.

Kind Regards
    Katarzyna Kamizelich
    Microsoft Regional Service Center
    E-Mail: emeamcp@msdirectservices.com
    Tel.: 0800 9170758 or 0800 0960137
    Fax: ++49 5 24 11 79 60 77

FAQ at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification-overview.aspx now states:

Q.   Will I be able to earn an MCTS for passing exams that count towards the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification?

A.   You will continue to earn an MCTS for passing Exams 70-640 and 70-642 until July 31, 2013. Until July 31, 2013, when you earn an MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification, you will also receive the MCITP: Server Administrator certification. After July 31, 2013, the MCITP: Server Administrator certification will be retired.

3 weeks to update a webpage. Not bad for Micro$oft.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:34 PM