Not all files appear to be synced RRS feed

• Question

• Simple situation. Using Windows XP SP2 I have all my programs on one physical hard disk with one NTFS partition (C:)
    I have all my data on another physical hard disk with one NTFS partition (D:)
    I back up the data disk (D:) using synctoy 2.0.100.0 to ECHO onto another (larger) physical hard disk which also has one NTFS partition (G:) Snyctoy options are set to include everything, exclude nothing but don't check file contents.
    After a synctoy run, an error message about just two files, to the effect that in an overwrite the destination files could not be found, led me to a folder where I found that not just those two files hadn't been synced but a dozen other files in the same folder on the Data drive D: did not exist on the backup drive G: The files that did not exist on the backup were a mix of .jpg and .gif with one small .xml. I then copied them manually.
    Using Windows Explorer I then looked at the properties of one of the major folders and found 17,466 files and 579 folders reported for the folder on D: and 17,396 with 579 folders reported for the folder on G:
    How is it possible for 70 files not to be copied ?
    Is there a class of file that synctoy ignores ?

Saturday, December 5, 2009 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Drascomber,

Is the troubling folder a normal folder or a mounted folder that mapped to a storage somewhere else? Another SyncToy user met a scenario with similar behave. For details, please refer to http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synctoy/thread/2dece361-f268-4586-aaf1-779905ae218c. The Icon of a mounted folder usually looks different from a normal folder.

If it does not match your problem. It may happen because SyncToy has not enough permission to read the content of the folder. It may be protected by your System or some other software. Would you mind show the whole path of this folder? And would you like to try what will be shown in the preview window about the folder in question?

And please help us to check if some other software are accessing any files in the folder. Files accessed by other softwares seldomly makes problems, but it might be a trail.

BTW, .jpg and .gif pictures and a .xml file, sounds like contents of a saved web page or cached internet items. I am not sure if this is related with your problem, for I have not enough information for now. But please do not worry. I will try to help you as much as I can.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Hi JiGuang

As I said - this is a simple situation. No mapping no network and no "Somewhere else".

I have done 2 backups (Synctoy) since the previous message. The error reports have ceased except for a recurring error related to a D:\Recycler file with a long numeric file name which it said was changed during the run and an access denied error related to the source file system volume information.

However my 70 files are still missing from the backup disk.
    The entire path to the problem source folder is D:\_Drascombe
    where file numbers are now 17,478 files in 582 folders in the source folder drive D:\_Drascombe and only 17,408 in 582 folders in the backup folder G:\_Drascombe.

There shouldn't be any cached intenet items. A few of the files in this area are used in picture galleries on my web site. The site is not hosted on this computer. It is hosted by my service provider. The site itself is very simple and totally non commercial. It comprises pages prepared in Microsoft Word and three photo galleries prepared using JAlbum. You can see it at www.hopwood.uk.net . The web pages and galleries are just files that are FTP'd to the service provider. Apart from the galleries, none of the web pages are stored in these folders.

No other software should be accessing the source disk let alone these folder. All software caches etc are on the C: drive. No other software apart from services is running whilst Synctoy is running.

However, it seems that there is after all a class of file that synctoy does not copy.

Whilst preparing this I have tracked down some of the missing files which turn out to be harmless thumbs.db files. I don't use thumbnail view myself in Windows Explorer but obviously someone in my family does. How do I find out if this is what all of the missing files are? Do you know of any free or cheap comparison software that would quickly tell me which of the 578 folders is different, or of software that will list all of the thumbs.db files with their paths? I have spent some time looking but haven't found anything yet.

Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:50 PM
  • >Do you know of any free or cheap comparison software that would quickly tell me which of the >578 folders is different, or of software that will list all of the thumbs.db files with their paths? I >have spent some time looking but haven't found anything yet.

I use windiff from the run command in XP to compare directory and it tells me the files or directories that are different or missing.

Still I noticed Windiff doesn't seem to be available in Windows7.

Monday, March 22, 2010 12:26 PM
  •  

Hi Jean

Windiff will work in Vista/7 and can be downloaded at:

http://www.grigsoft.com/download-windiff.htm

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:07 AM