Genuine Windows button NOT 'successfull', just info page - Diag tool says Genuine.- Office tool says successful RRS feed

• Question

• Click the 'learn more online' link below the GW logo at the bottom of the Systm app in Control Panel. Click the "Validate Windows" button. Get an 'info page' but no testing is done, and no 'validation successful' The Office button does it right. Does anyone else see this behavior? I downloaded and ran the diag tool, I get genuine.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

Yes, the Online Validation Checks for Windows 7 are not currently enabled.  Any content that is protected by an Online Validation Check (such as some software on the Microsoft Download site) will detect the OS as Windows 7 and will automatically allow it to pass without a scan.

The real workhorse is Windows 7's Internal Validation Checks, which are functional regardless of the Online Validation being enabled or not.

Thank you,
    Darin MS 

• Edited by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:15 PM spelling
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:16 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Yes, the Online Validation Checks for Windows 7 are not currently enabled.  Any content that is protected by an Online Validation Check (such as some software on the Microsoft Download site) will detect the OS as Windows 7 and will automatically allow it to pass without a scan.

The real workhorse is Windows 7's Internal Validation Checks, which are functional regardless of the Online Validation being enabled or not.

Thank you,
    Darin MS 

• Edited by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:15 PM spelling
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:16 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:14 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Thank you,
    Darin MS 

When MS decides to enable the online validation checks, do you foresee any problems for users with legal licenses.??

I know your answer will be....NO, but seriously.....are there any Gotcha's we need to watch for??
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Ref the post I deleted, thanks for fixing this, or maybe it was just coincidence!. The Genuine checker now gives me a code and works.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Hello Nosmo King,

No Gotcha's related to the Online Validation, that I am aware of.  My understanding is that Online Validation will just be a backup to Product Activation and Windows 7's Internal Checks.

Thanks,
    Darin MS

Friday, November 6, 2009 6:40 PM