none
Automatically grow and shrink the HPC Pack cluster resources in Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone 

I have 4 VMs in Azure (Windows Server 2016 Datacenter). 

I have created cluster with MS HPC 2016 update 1 (one head node and 3 compute node). 

I have done the steps below for Automatically grow and shrink:

1. I have Enable the AutoGrowShrink property --- Set-HpcClusterProperty –EnableGrowShrink 1 --- To run these commands, start HPC PowerShell on the cluster head node as an administrator.

2. I have run the script this script inside HPC PowerShell --- 

.\AzureAutoGrowShrink.ps1 -NodeTemplates 'NonDomain ComputeNode Template' -JobTemplates 'njt1' -NodeType ComputeNodes -NumOfActiveQueuedTasksPerNodeToGrow 1 -NumOfActiveQueuedTasksToGrowThreshold 1 -NumOfInitialNodesToGrow 1 -GrowCheckIntervalMins 1 -ShrinkCheckIntervalMins 1 -ShrinkCheckIdleTimes 1 -ArgFile 'IaaSVMComputeNodes_Arg.xml' -LogFilePrefix 'IaaSVMComputeNodes_log'       

The result you can see the image below 

I searched Stop-HpcIaaSNode.ps1 file but nothing.

How can I fix this issue?

Thanks,

Artem

Monday, January 15, 2018 11:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Artem,

"Enable AutoGrowShrink property" and "Run the AzureAutoGrowShink.ps1" is two ways (but not two steps) to enable auto grow shrink.

Since HPC Pack 2016 on, the AzureAutoGrowShrink.ps1 script way was deprecated.

If you cluster was deployed with our ARM template on https://github.com/MsHpcPack/HPCPack2016, you just need to provide an Azure Service principal with certificate for Azure authentication. If you don't have an Azure Service Principal yet, following the document https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/resource-group-authenticate-service-principal#create-service-principal-with-self-signed-certificate to create one, and remember the application Id and the Azure tenant Id.

After the service principal created, Do the two steps on the head node:

1). Install the certificate with private key in Cert:\LocalMachine\My

2). Run the PowerShell commands on the head node to configure the Azure Service Principal information.

Set-HpcClusterRegistry -PropertyName Thumbprint -PropertyValue $certThumbprint
    Set-HpcClusterRegistry -PropertyName ApplicationId -PropertyValue $servicePrincipalApplicationId
    Set-HpcClusterRegistry -PropertyName TenantId -PropertyValue $TenantId

• Marked as answer by Artem Azaryan Tuesday, January 23, 2018 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Artem,

"Enable AutoGrowShrink property" and "Run the AzureAutoGrowShink.ps1" is two ways (but not two steps) to enable auto grow shrink.

Since HPC Pack 2016 on, the AzureAutoGrowShrink.ps1 script way was deprecated.

If you cluster was deployed with our ARM template on https://github.com/MsHpcPack/HPCPack2016, you just need to provide an Azure Service principal with certificate for Azure authentication. If you don't have an Azure Service Principal yet, following the document https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/resource-group-authenticate-service-principal#create-service-principal-with-self-signed-certificate to create one, and remember the application Id and the Azure tenant Id.

After the service principal created, Do the two steps on the head node:

1). Install the certificate with private key in Cert:\LocalMachine\My

2). Run the PowerShell commands on the head node to configure the Azure Service Principal information.

Set-HpcClusterRegistry -PropertyName Thumbprint -PropertyValue $certThumbprint
    Set-HpcClusterRegistry -PropertyName ApplicationId -PropertyValue $servicePrincipalApplicationId
    Set-HpcClusterRegistry -PropertyName TenantId -PropertyValue $TenantId

• Marked as answer by Artem Azaryan Tuesday, January 23, 2018 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:16 AM
  • Thanks !

Artem

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:00 PM