none
Clicking on Settings in the Windows Home Server Console just gives a blank blue screen RRS feed

• Question

• When I click on the Settings tab in my windows home server console it will just give me a blank blue screen.  I can click on every other button and tab in the console except the Settings tab.  There have been no new addons installed, only ones running are firefly, whiist, and whs task viewer.
    I have tried connecting from a XP computer, a Vista computer, and directly from the home server it self.  The only difference is when I do it from the home server clicking on Settings closes the console.

I have rebooted the WHS many times and continue to have the same issue.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:55 AM

Answers

• The Events Log show a ton of things, nothing that looks like it pertained to the error.

But, I did figure out the problem, it will lead to another question but I want to just post the fix in this thread.

I was trying to find a way to make the home screen not show the default page with the log in.  I wanted it to be moved to a /WHS.
    In doing so I moved all of the files from /Inetpub/home into /Inetpub/home/WHS and made my own default.aspx in the /Inetpub/home dir.

After I moved put everything back in the /Inetpub/home dir the way it normaly is.  The settings tab started working again.

• Marked as answer by Jer9935 Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:47 AM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:47 AM

All replies

• Also leaving the blue screen up for about 3 minutes I get a pop up saying; "This computer has lost connection to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  Then try to connect again."

I know that I did not loose a connection as I tried copying files from the server while I had the blue screen and it didn't miss a beat.

I have also removed the firefly, whiist, and whs task viewer addons.

Installed umconsole.exe over itself (there wasn't an option for uninstall in add/remove programs)

Still all the same when I click on the Settings tab, blank blue screen.
    • Edited by Jer9935 Friday, June 26, 2009 4:54 AM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:57 AM
  • What do you see in the Event logs on the server when the console closes that way?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:04 PM
  • The Events Log show a ton of things, nothing that looks like it pertained to the error.

But, I did figure out the problem, it will lead to another question but I want to just post the fix in this thread.

I was trying to find a way to make the home screen not show the default page with the log in.  I wanted it to be moved to a /WHS.
    In doing so I moved all of the files from /Inetpub/home into /Inetpub/home/WHS and made my own default.aspx in the /Inetpub/home dir.

After I moved put everything back in the /Inetpub/home dir the way it normaly is.  The settings tab started working again.

• Marked as answer by Jer9935 Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:47 AM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:47 AM