none
New Windows Tools - Direct Links RRS feed

• Question

•  

Windows comes with assorted built-in applets and tools, such as the Clipboard and Notepad, but these tools barely do the tasks they're intended to do. As you'll see with these must-haves, though, there are plenty of ways to improve on what ships with Windows.

Enjoy..

Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:28 PM

Answers

•  

3. Clipmate Clipboard Extender

More than a tweak to Windows clipboard, but a programmable database for tracking all sorts of info.

While it is a superlative replacement for Clipboard, think of it as an easily programmable database, and stop thinking of clips as data that you'll never see again once you've pasted them.

The beauty of it is that you don't have to endure the drudgery that comes with most databases, data entry. Because 95 percent of the data you're likely to save in the ClipMate database is stuff you've been copying anyway, it's in the database automatically.

I use it to track the passwords, registration keys, license numbers and all the other codes I need when I inevitably have to reinstall every program on my hard drive. When I get a code, usually in an email, I copy it and paste it into the program waiting to be authenticated. Then a hot key opens ClipMate's database.

Ctrl+R lets me rename the code to the name of the program, and I slide it over to a database table I've named 'Registrations" from which no entries can be deleted unless I say OK. ClipMate is constantly backing itself up, and so I don't worry about crashed drives-at least not as far as passwords are concerned.

ClipMate also has tools for processing data. Separate clips can be joined together, or a single clip broken into many. It will not only strip away all those line breaks, codes and formatting that cause problems when you paste them into different programs, but it will check the spelling and capitalization while it's at it. With a little planning and choosing among options all this can be done automatically when you copy, cut, or paste. It speeds up, dresses up, and cuts down on your work without you giving it another thought.

Click Here : Clipmate Clipboard Extender

Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:54 PM
  •  

7. CCleaner

Remove useless files from several applications, including Microsoft apps.

Somewhere under the layers of software detritus, your PC is vigorous and eager to work. CCleaner searches through a number of programs and removes useless files. It's highly configurable, allowing you to select which problems to look for and which items to ignore.

Many cleaners scrub out just your browser cache or your temporary files folder, but CCleaner goes further. It cleans temporary files from common third-party applications as well. The vendor's list of cleaned programs includes Adobe products (Flash Player, Photoshop, and Reader to name a few), Ad-Aware SE, eMule, Firefox, Google Toolbar, Kazaa, Microsoft Office, Nero, Norton Antivirus, OpenOffice, Real Player, WinAce, Windows Media Player, WinRAR, WinZip, and Google, Windows Live, and Yahoo Toolbars.

CCleaner goes beyond the basic wash and polish with extra mini-tools. A registry scanner removes old and unused entries, including ActiveX Controls, fonts, installers, shared DLLs, fonts, help files, application paths, icons, unused file extensions, and invalid shortcuts. CCleaner also includes an uninstaller and a list of deletable startup entry keys (the latter is something you'll want to evaluate carefully before removing a mystery key that turns out to be helpful.)

Note: CCleaner includes an optional Yahoo toolbar that you may choose to install along with the program. Installing this toolbar may trigger alerts from some antispyware programs. CCleaner's makers assert that CCleaner is spyware-free.

Click Here : CCleaner

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:56 PM
  • 9. Glary Registry Repair

Clean up and repair your Registry for free.

Use your PC for long enough, and you'll have problems with your Registry. Invalid Registry entries, software that doesn't clean up the Registry after it uninstalls, invalid paths and file associations, obsolete entries, the list of Registry problems can go on for a long time. They slow down your PC, cause system crashes, and generally muck up things.

You'll never be able to track down the problems yourself. So instead get this freebie, which scans the Registry for problems and fixes them fast. You'll also be able to choose which changes to accept, and which to ignore. The program creates an Undo file, so you can revert to your previous version of the Registry if problems occur.

Click Here : Glary Registry Repair

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:44 PM
  • 12. CoffeeCup HTML Editor

Friendly Web site editor is welcoming for novices and advanced coders alike.

If you're a novice Web designer, you really don't have to switch between three or four programs to design, preview, and publish a Web site. You can use CoffeeCup HTML Editor instead. This program is great for people (like me) who have inherited a site to update and don't know much HTML. But it also supports more-advanced coding, such as CSS, PHP, and XHTML tags. This fully functioning 30-day trial version will give you a good sense of whether it will work for your needs. I definitely recommend it over the unintuitive Web Easy Professional Express, which I reviewed previously.

CoffeeCup HTML Editor has a friendly way about it. Tabs along the top and sides of the window put the three main views (Code Editor, Visual Editor, and Preview) right at your fingertips. When you're ready to design a page, the QuickStart wizard helps with design. You're plopped into the Code Editor, but you can switch to the Visual Editor to enter text and drag-and-drop images from files on your computer. And in the Code Editor, you can choose to see a split screen.

The program also lets you test compatibility with various browsers (up to six), as well as upload your files using FTP.

CoffeeCup HTML Editor has its idiosyncracies (like making you save your file whenever you switch from Code Editor to Visual Editor)

Click Here : CoffeeCup HTML Editor

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:20 PM
  •  

13. Qnext

Use several IM services (plus VoIP, games, and photo and file sharing) in one window.

Qnext is a secure P2P communications suite that offers universal instant messaging, video conferencing, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), file transfer, file sharing, group text chat, online games, photo sharing, and remote PC access. IM networks Qnext can access include QNext, MSN, AIM, Yahoo, and ICQ. Qnext uses 192-bit encryption on all P2P data communications.

Qnext lets you share photos, files, and more in Zones that can be left open to all of QNext or just to contact lists. For instance, in a streaming music zone, you can share music with your friends instead of with the entire Internet. This version introduces P2P video conferencing with up to 4 persons and P2P audio conferencing with up to 8 persons.

Click Here : Qnext

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:29 PM
  • Monday, October 29, 2007 6:33 PM
  •  

CamFrog

Type at, talk with, and look at people around the world with this easy-to-use video chat program.

Camfrog brings the old-fashioned chat room into the 21st century by adding voice and video conferencing features. The program is easy to use and has a good set of features, though a lot of useful functions are reserved for its paid upgrade, Camfrog Pro.

Installation and login is smooth and easy. In minutes, the user arrives in a crowded chat room full of people talking past each other in a variety of fonts, sizes, and styles. Clicking a name will bring up a video window to view that person's webcam, if he/she has one. Only a single image can be viewed at once; viewing multiple video streams requires the Pro upgrade, as does enlarging the image.

The Camfrog support staff in the main room is helpful and attentive, and answered all of my questions quickly. The general community? Well, these are public chat rooms. Experienced users know what to expect. General chat is strictly monitored to keep it family friendly, but there are a host of 'Over 18' rooms where the dialog--and the video--can get much more explicit. The program does include parental control options, and the user must uncheck a safety option before being allowed to enter or view an Over-18 room.

For casual chatters, Camfrog works fine; if you find yourself getting hooked into the community (which seems to be obsessed with movie trivia questions, even in the 'adult' rooms), you will probably want the Pro upgrade.

Click Here : CamFrog

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:15 PM

All replies

• Here comes the first one..
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:30 PM
  •  

1. jZip

Compress and uncompress files in many different compression formats.

Windows comes with a basic Zip features, but it leaves much to be desired. So any computer toolbox needs a good compression program that can compress and decompress files and create archives. No doubt you've heard of for-pay compression programs such as WinZip and WinRAR. But you may not heard of the free jZip, which will do everything you want an archiving and compression program to do, but won't cost you a penny.

It handles popular archive formats such as Zip, RAR, 7z, TAR and GZip and gives you high compression ratios so you save the most disk space possible. It's exceptionally easy to use, yet offers a great deal of flexibility, such as including subfolders when you archive, splitting archives, and encrypting archives. You also have half-a-dozen compression levels to choose from, depending on how small you want archives to be, and how quickly you want to compress them.

Click Here : jZip

Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:34 PM
  •  

2. NoteTab Light

Is there a piece of software more useless than Notepad? It can't even do something as basic as open more than one document at a time.

Replace your plain old NotePad with this feature-laden alternative.

NoteTab Light improves on Windows' Notepad in so many ways, it's tough to count them. Start with the basics: You can open multiple files, not just one, as you're forced to do in Notepad. Each file runs in its own tab, so switching between them is easy. The program comes with all kinds of nifty built-in utilities, too, such as a feature that strips HTML out of a document, a Paste Board that saves text clips automatically, macros, and plenty of oddball free tools such as a mortgage-rate calculator.

Click Here : NoteTab Light

Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:49 PM
  • The next download is very useful..

Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:51 PM
  •  

3. Clipmate Clipboard Extender

More than a tweak to Windows clipboard, but a programmable database for tracking all sorts of info.

While it is a superlative replacement for Clipboard, think of it as an easily programmable database, and stop thinking of clips as data that you'll never see again once you've pasted them.

The beauty of it is that you don't have to endure the drudgery that comes with most databases, data entry. Because 95 percent of the data you're likely to save in the ClipMate database is stuff you've been copying anyway, it's in the database automatically.

I use it to track the passwords, registration keys, license numbers and all the other codes I need when I inevitably have to reinstall every program on my hard drive. When I get a code, usually in an email, I copy it and paste it into the program waiting to be authenticated. Then a hot key opens ClipMate's database.

Ctrl+R lets me rename the code to the name of the program, and I slide it over to a database table I've named 'Registrations" from which no entries can be deleted unless I say OK. ClipMate is constantly backing itself up, and so I don't worry about crashed drives-at least not as far as passwords are concerned.

ClipMate also has tools for processing data. Separate clips can be joined together, or a single clip broken into many. It will not only strip away all those line breaks, codes and formatting that cause problems when you paste them into different programs, but it will check the spelling and capitalization while it's at it. With a little planning and choosing among options all this can be done automatically when you copy, cut, or paste. It speeds up, dresses up, and cuts down on your work without you giving it another thought.

Click Here : Clipmate Clipboard Extender

Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:54 PM

• thanks for the the links...continue the good work
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 1:58 AM
  •  

Here's the best utility for capturing a screen shot.
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 2:29 PM
  • 4. SnagIt

Capture hard-to-copy graphics and text from your desktop.

Here's the best utility for capturing a screenshot in Windows or an other application. There are plenty of screen capture programs out there, but none come close to what this does. It will capture live windows, your entire desktop, portions of your screen, menus, scrolling Web pages, and even short videos. You can also even capture menus only. And it outputs in many different formats, including directly to a printer.

That's just the beginning. It also includes great tools for enhancing and annotating screen captures, including adding special effects such as sharpening and embossing, and adding borders and watermarks.

Click Here : SnagIt

Sunday, October 21, 2007 2:55 PM
  • The next one is IrfanView..

Sunday, October 21, 2007 3:14 PM
  • 5. IrfanView

Edit and convert graphics files with this first-rate image viewer.

It's this simple:If you ever use graphics for almost any reason, you need this program. It's small, it's fast, it's free, and it does its work better than any competitor can. What more can I say?

IrfanView's main task is to display graphics files, and it does a superb job. You can view just about any file format you can imagine, and show it lightning fast. It can also display thumbnails, present your files as slide shows, and play multimedia files. Given that it's a file viewer, the program also has a surprising number of graphics editing tools, including effects and cropping. And if you need to convert files from one format to another, it can't be beat; it's particularly effective at batch-converting large groups of files.

Click Here : IrfanView

Sunday, October 21, 2007 3:17 PM
  •  

The next is Glary Utilities
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:48 PM
  •  

6. Glary Utilities

Clean and tune up your PC

If you need to clean and optimize your machine, improve your privacy and security, or do other similar tasks, you'll want this program. It's free, it's simple to use, and it'll make your computer run much better.

Its cleanup and repair tools include a Registry cleaner, a disk cleaner, and a shortcut fixer that corrects shortcut errors on your Desktop or Start menu. Among its optimization tools are a startup manager and a very good context-menu manager for editing the menu that appears when you right-click a file.

You also get a file shredder, encryption tools, a utility for cleaning up your Internet traces...the list goes on. For anyone who wants to take control of their PC and doesn't want to pay even a penny, this is a great program to get.

Click Here : Glary Utilities

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:51 PM
  •  

The next is another cleaner.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:53 PM
  •  

7. CCleaner

Remove useless files from several applications, including Microsoft apps.

Somewhere under the layers of software detritus, your PC is vigorous and eager to work. CCleaner searches through a number of programs and removes useless files. It's highly configurable, allowing you to select which problems to look for and which items to ignore.

Many cleaners scrub out just your browser cache or your temporary files folder, but CCleaner goes further. It cleans temporary files from common third-party applications as well. The vendor's list of cleaned programs includes Adobe products (Flash Player, Photoshop, and Reader to name a few), Ad-Aware SE, eMule, Firefox, Google Toolbar, Kazaa, Microsoft Office, Nero, Norton Antivirus, OpenOffice, Real Player, WinAce, Windows Media Player, WinRAR, WinZip, and Google, Windows Live, and Yahoo Toolbars.

CCleaner goes beyond the basic wash and polish with extra mini-tools. A registry scanner removes old and unused entries, including ActiveX Controls, fonts, installers, shared DLLs, fonts, help files, application paths, icons, unused file extensions, and invalid shortcuts. CCleaner also includes an uninstaller and a list of deletable startup entry keys (the latter is something you'll want to evaluate carefully before removing a mystery key that turns out to be helpful.)

Note: CCleaner includes an optional Yahoo toolbar that you may choose to install along with the program. Installing this toolbar may trigger alerts from some antispyware programs. CCleaner's makers assert that CCleaner is spyware-free.

Click Here : CCleaner

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:56 PM
  • CCleaner is very useful. Its a good software to remove the useless files.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:57 PM
  •  

The next one...
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:51 PM
  •  

8. Belarc Advisor

Get a comprehensive report about your hardware and softare setup.

If you're looking for an exquisitely detailed audit of your hardware, this is the download you need--no other hardware utility comes close. It starts with the basics, such as the computer manufacturer, installed RAM, hard-disk size, and processor type and speed. But it also shows you the motherboard maker, hard-disk manufacturer, chassis serial number, PC service tag, bus type and speed, multimedia devices...the list goes on and on. You'll also find details about your Windows installation, including which security hotfixes you've installed and which you're missing, plus a list of all user accounts on your PC and a lot more.

Click Here : Belarc Advisor

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:54 PM
  • Next - Glary Registry Repair

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:41 PM
  • 9. Glary Registry Repair

Clean up and repair your Registry for free.

Use your PC for long enough, and you'll have problems with your Registry. Invalid Registry entries, software that doesn't clean up the Registry after it uninstalls, invalid paths and file associations, obsolete entries, the list of Registry problems can go on for a long time. They slow down your PC, cause system crashes, and generally muck up things.

You'll never be able to track down the problems yourself. So instead get this freebie, which scans the Registry for problems and fixes them fast. You'll also be able to choose which changes to accept, and which to ignore. The program creates an Undo file, so you can revert to your previous version of the Registry if problems occur.

Click Here : Glary Registry Repair

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:44 PM
  •  

Enjoy..
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:45 PM
  • One more coming...

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:09 PM
  •  

10. FastStone Image Viewer

Convert, edit, and view images in all major graphics formats with this powerful freebie.

If you want your images to look the best they can--but you don't have a professional photographer's budget--check out FastStone Image Viewer. This freebie lets you browse and view your images in a Windows-Explorer-like interface. FastStone image viewer supports all major image formats, including BMP, GIF, ICO, JPEG, JPEG2000, PCX, PNG, PSD, TAF, TIF, and WMF. It includes EXIF metadata support as well. You can crop, resize, flip, rotate, and adjust colors on your images and compare them side by side.

You can also convert your images from one format to another; in fact, you can even convert or resize your photos in batches. If you need to take a closer look without resizing, use the Full Screen image viewer to zoom in and size things up with the clear magnifier. Once you're done, you can apply over 150 transitional effects in a slideshow.

Click Here : FastStone Image Viewer

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:12 PM
  • 11. AceFTP

FTP (file transfer protocol), one of the earliest protocols on the Internet, still lives. If you want to send large files, e-mail won't cut it, because so many ISPs limit the size of file attachments. And if you have a Web site, you typically must upload your files to it via FTP.

AceFTP is a very good, free, simple-to-use FTP client, and it'll handle pretty much any basic file-transfer job. Creating new connections and sites is easy, and browsing local and remote directories is a breeze. The program has a log for tracking your file-transfer activity. Also useful is the tabbed interface, which lets you maintain multiple FTP sessions on multiple servers.

Click Here : AceFTP

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:16 PM
  • 12. CoffeeCup HTML Editor

Friendly Web site editor is welcoming for novices and advanced coders alike.

If you're a novice Web designer, you really don't have to switch between three or four programs to design, preview, and publish a Web site. You can use CoffeeCup HTML Editor instead. This program is great for people (like me) who have inherited a site to update and don't know much HTML. But it also supports more-advanced coding, such as CSS, PHP, and XHTML tags. This fully functioning 30-day trial version will give you a good sense of whether it will work for your needs. I definitely recommend it over the unintuitive Web Easy Professional Express, which I reviewed previously.

CoffeeCup HTML Editor has a friendly way about it. Tabs along the top and sides of the window put the three main views (Code Editor, Visual Editor, and Preview) right at your fingertips. When you're ready to design a page, the QuickStart wizard helps with design. You're plopped into the Code Editor, but you can switch to the Visual Editor to enter text and drag-and-drop images from files on your computer. And in the Code Editor, you can choose to see a split screen.

The program also lets you test compatibility with various browsers (up to six), as well as upload your files using FTP.

CoffeeCup HTML Editor has its idiosyncracies (like making you save your file whenever you switch from Code Editor to Visual Editor)

Click Here : CoffeeCup HTML Editor

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:20 PM
  • One more.....

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:25 PM
  •  

13. Qnext

Use several IM services (plus VoIP, games, and photo and file sharing) in one window.

Qnext is a secure P2P communications suite that offers universal instant messaging, video conferencing, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), file transfer, file sharing, group text chat, online games, photo sharing, and remote PC access. IM networks Qnext can access include QNext, MSN, AIM, Yahoo, and ICQ. Qnext uses 192-bit encryption on all P2P data communications.

Qnext lets you share photos, files, and more in Zones that can be left open to all of QNext or just to contact lists. For instance, in a streaming music zone, you can share music with your friends instead of with the entire Internet. This version introduces P2P video conferencing with up to 4 persons and P2P audio conferencing with up to 8 persons.

Click Here : Qnext

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:29 PM
  • aashampoo uninstaller is the next one thats useful for uninstalling the applications.......

Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:47 AM
  • Monday, October 29, 2007 6:33 PM
  •  

CamFrog

Type at, talk with, and look at people around the world with this easy-to-use video chat program.

Camfrog brings the old-fashioned chat room into the 21st century by adding voice and video conferencing features. The program is easy to use and has a good set of features, though a lot of useful functions are reserved for its paid upgrade, Camfrog Pro.

Installation and login is smooth and easy. In minutes, the user arrives in a crowded chat room full of people talking past each other in a variety of fonts, sizes, and styles. Clicking a name will bring up a video window to view that person's webcam, if he/she has one. Only a single image can be viewed at once; viewing multiple video streams requires the Pro upgrade, as does enlarging the image.

The Camfrog support staff in the main room is helpful and attentive, and answered all of my questions quickly. The general community? Well, these are public chat rooms. Experienced users know what to expect. General chat is strictly monitored to keep it family friendly, but there are a host of 'Over 18' rooms where the dialog--and the video--can get much more explicit. The program does include parental control options, and the user must uncheck a safety option before being allowed to enter or view an Over-18 room.

For casual chatters, Camfrog works fine; if you find yourself getting hooked into the community (which seems to be obsessed with movie trivia questions, even in the 'adult' rooms), you will probably want the Pro upgrade.

Click Here : CamFrog

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:15 PM
  • 15. WinZip 11 (Standard)

The most famous of compression utilities boasts some new tricks but forces you to pay extra for certain advanced features.

When you create an archive, WinZip 11 now offers an option to let WinZip pick the best compression method for each file. The result is a significantly smaller archive. For instance, .wav files, which lose only about 14 percent of their size with traditional .zip compression, shrink to just over half their original size with Best Method on.

Only WinZip 10 or 11, however, can extract files from the resulting archive--which could be confusing, as such archives continue to use the .zip extension for their improved-but-incompatible files. To WinZip's credit, the program warns you about the incompatibility. And the company has posted the technical specifications for these changes so that other compression vendors can eventually make their programs compatible.

Other improvements create no compatibility issues. The best of these include thumbnail views of pictures inside an archive, presented in a window that looks more like Windows Explorer with every update; and the ability to extract from .bz2 and .rar files.

You're still able to create split-volume archives (a ZIP archive split into multiple files of user-definable size).

Click Here : WinZip 11 (Standard)

Thursday, November 22, 2007 7:06 AM
  • Check this site

www.filehippo.com

This is what I feel the most organised site for software downloads.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:10 PM
  • again thnx a lot for such a nice info......

Friday, December 7, 2007 9:59 AM
  •  

Thanks buddy............
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 5:17 PM

• ThanX for sharing things
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 4:58 PM

• check out for more @ http://allfree-stuff.com (under downloads)
    Sunday, March 9, 2008 1:34 AM
  • Cool program and simple to use... thankyou

Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:34 AM
  • سلام عليكم

ابغي

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:00 PM
  • Thanks for these windows softwares . Many of them are free and that what i am in need of .
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:13 PM