Starting MTA 98-364 prep RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have started to study for the MTA 98-364 with the ‘Database Administration Fundamentals’ book from Microsoft.  On page 11, it says to have SQL Server 2008 installed before continuing. 

I have downloaded and installed the latest SQL server and SSMS (Express versions), but the Management Studio wants to connect to a server.  I don’t think I’m set up for this. What do I do here? 

I was under the impression that this was going to be a sort of mock DB for practice purposes and to use along with the book.   Sorry, I am a newbie.  Am I missing something completely obvious? 

Thank you for any info/explanations

Sunday, April 19, 2015 10:49 PM

Answers

• [...] but the Management Studio wants to connect to a server.  I don’t think I’m set up for this. What do I do here? 

The "connect to a server" expression means that it wants to connect to the database engine that you just installed. If you installed an Express version and used all the defaults during installation, then just tell SSMS that the server it ineeds to use is "(local)\SQLEXPRESS"  (do not type the quotes, but do include the parentheses and backslash).

This is not a "mock" DB, it is a fully featured SQL Server that you could actually use to process a real workload. For the purpose of practicing, install a database with some sample data (search the Net for "Adventureworks", it should be available at Codeplex).

If you need help with SQL Server itself (rather than exam-related questions such as how to sign-up for the exam, where to find a training course, and so on), then you should ask them directly in one of the SQL Server-related forums, rather than this Training and Certification forum.

Monday, April 20, 2015 5:18 AM
  • I have downloaded and installed the latest SQL server and SSMS (Express versions), but the Management Studio wants to connect to a server.  I don’t think I’m set up for this. What do I do here? 

When you open SSMS tool, first thing is you need to login by using credentials and connect to Database engine so that you can perform querying/create DB's/tables and insert rows etc...

That is SQL Express so you should be able to login by entering below in servername:

localhost OR localhost\SQLEXPRESS.

Please read: Logging In to SQL Server

Cheers,
    Vaibhav Chaudhari
    [MCP], [MCTS], [MCSA-SQL2012]

Monday, April 20, 2015 6:27 AM

All replies

• [...] but the Management Studio wants to connect to a server.  I don’t think I’m set up for this. What do I do here? 

The "connect to a server" expression means that it wants to connect to the database engine that you just installed. If you installed an Express version and used all the defaults during installation, then just tell SSMS that the server it ineeds to use is "(local)\SQLEXPRESS"  (do not type the quotes, but do include the parentheses and backslash).

This is not a "mock" DB, it is a fully featured SQL Server that you could actually use to process a real workload. For the purpose of practicing, install a database with some sample data (search the Net for "Adventureworks", it should be available at Codeplex).

If you need help with SQL Server itself (rather than exam-related questions such as how to sign-up for the exam, where to find a training course, and so on), then you should ask them directly in one of the SQL Server-related forums, rather than this Training and Certification forum.

Monday, April 20, 2015 5:18 AM
  • I have downloaded and installed the latest SQL server and SSMS (Express versions), but the Management Studio wants to connect to a server.  I don’t think I’m set up for this. What do I do here? 

When you open SSMS tool, first thing is you need to login by using credentials and connect to Database engine so that you can perform querying/create DB's/tables and insert rows etc...

That is SQL Express so you should be able to login by entering below in servername:

localhost OR localhost\SQLEXPRESS.

Please read: Logging In to SQL Server

Cheers,
    Vaibhav Chaudhari
    [MCP], [MCTS], [MCSA-SQL2012]

Monday, April 20, 2015 6:27 AM
  • Yep, you've pointed me in the right direction.  It's a work in progress.

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 6:58 AM