Birthday list in Dynamics CRM Online RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to be able to develop a birthday list for our contacts.  We have input the information into the "Birthday" field but have found that you cannot run a report that would tell us all birthdays in the next month because the date of the birthday does not differentiate with days or months, just a point in time.

I tried to follow these instructions, but I am getting no output in the report and/or advanced find.  http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/sales/birthdaylist.mspx

I am not a developer and need some basic instructions on how to do this (if possible).  Please let me know if it can be done.

Thanks,
    Pat

Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:55 PM

Answers

• The easiest solution is to make as described in article on link, provided by you. The idea is to "split" a date into Year, Month and Day. In your report you actualy don't need Year and Day, only Month. Then in criteria for selecting records for report (if using report wizard) you have to point Month the next month number. The problem with such approach is that you can not use this report dinamicaly - it will allways show contacts, whose birthday is in hardcoded month.

The better way is to create a custom Reporting Services report, where you can operate with such SQL-related terms as part of date (day, month, year) and current date for retrieving next month. A SQL-query will look like this:

Select * from FilteredContact
    where
    month(new_birthday) = month(dateadd(mm,1,dateadd(dd,1-day(GETDATE()),getdate())))
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:57 PM

All replies

• Are you trying to make a report or a workflow for task creations?

Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:13 PM
  • I am trying to make a report first.  Eventually, I would probably move towards making a workflow with this report involved, but for now, I am just trying to create a report that shows who is having a birthday is the next month.  Thanks
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:22 PM
  • The easiest solution is to make as described in article on link, provided by you. The idea is to "split" a date into Year, Month and Day. In your report you actualy don't need Year and Day, only Month. Then in criteria for selecting records for report (if using report wizard) you have to point Month the next month number. The problem with such approach is that you can not use this report dinamicaly - it will allways show contacts, whose birthday is in hardcoded month.

The better way is to create a custom Reporting Services report, where you can operate with such SQL-related terms as part of date (day, month, year) and current date for retrieving next month. A SQL-query will look like this:

Select * from FilteredContact
    where
    month(new_birthday) = month(dateadd(mm,1,dateadd(dd,1-day(GETDATE()),getdate())))
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:57 PM