Use ICE to stitch scanned newspaper page RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to use ICE to stitch 4 images (sections) of front page of scanned newspaper which requires 4 separate scans. (Community historical project).  Images captured show 4 separate scans (sections), but merging images only appears to convert top half of newspaper (in cropping function). I cannot raise image in crop function to include bottom two in project. How can I resize to see the whole project and include all images in my crop prior to saving completed project?

ICE seems to do a fantastic job of stitching newspaper articles for our archive project.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:05 AM

All replies

• For flatbed scanner images, please make sure you've changed the Camera Motion setting (on the Import page) to Planar Motion.

When you switch to the Stitch page, ICE aligns as many images as it can, then composites them together into a single image.  At the bottom of the window, ICE reports how many images it was able to align.  Did it align all 4 images in your case?  If not, perhaps there isn't enough overlap between the scans, or there aren't enough significant features in the overlapping areas for ICE to find good matches.

Hope this helps.  If not, please upload your images to OneDrive or DropBox and send us a link so we can investigate further.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Friday, February 20, 2015 10:35 PM