Do you have crawling, ranking or indexing questions? Read this first! RRS feed

• General discussion

• There are a lot of reasons why sites don't get indexed or don't have the depth (number of pages indexed) webmasters would like.  One of the big challenges is ensuring that the sites linking to them are quality sites.  As a webmaster, you need to ensure not only that there is great content on your site, but that you get the right kind of people and sites linking to you. 

You will see me answer this a lot in the forums, because there are a few common mistakes that webmasters make.  For a site to be indexed, it must meet specific standards for content, design, and technical implementation. Ensure that your site follows our indexing guidelines. I recommend reading the techniques section.  A lot of sites that are ranking low, may have a issue that is being caused (whether inadvertantly or not) by items in this section.

Each time we update the index, previous relevance rankings are revised. Therefore, you may notice a shift in your website’s ranking as new sites are added and others become obsolete.

Although you can't directly change your website’s ranking, you can optimize its design and technical implementation to enable appropriate ranking by most search engines. For information about improving your website's ranking, see Guidelines for successful indexing.   Most website owners can see some improvements by doing basic white hat seo. I recommend ensuring that:

1. You have great content. 
    2. Get your content noticed

Ensure that you are not doing any of the following:

• Attempting to increase a page's keyword density by add lots of irrelevant words. This includes stuffing ALT tags that users are unlikely to view.
    • Using hidden text or links. Only use text and links that are visible to users.
    • Using techniques, such as link farms, to artificially increase the number of links to your page.

Often when sites are having problems it is related to something above, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Jeremiah & Brett

• Changed type Brett Yount Monday, March 30, 2009 8:44 PM
    Friday, March 28, 2008 6:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Brett. I have a question and hope this is an appropriate place for it. I read that naming image files is better for increasing relevancy to your pages. I am talking about words rather than just picture numbers. I did this on my site and wonder if it was just a waste of time. Is this factored into the relevancy?

Ken J. Pettinari
    Pro Self Defense Products
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 9:48 PM