Streaming of videos/pictures/music in Vail RRS feed

• Question

• Despite DE being dropped will Vail continue to offer video streaming via the Homserver.com website that is available in the remote access portion of Vail Beta?  I want to be able to stream my media.  I know there may be ways to do this otherwise, but I am not that technically advanced yet in doing so.  For me the only reason I would buy Vail over getting Power Pack 3 is for the streaming feature.  Thanks for your reponses.

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:09 PM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server & Windows Home Server "Vail" Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:18 PM

Answers

• The only feature being removed is Drive Extender. DE encompasses local data protection via duplication, and seamless expansion of storage. Nothing else is being removed.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:08 PM
  • I believe one of the Microsoft blog posts mentioned mid-January as a possible release time for a new beta. But please don't hold me to that. :)

And that does mean that your current beta installation may expire, by the way. If you have data that needs to be preserved, do so before that occurs.

• Marked as answer by Nobigwoo Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:20 PM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:28 PM

All replies

• The only feature being removed is Drive Extender. DE encompasses local data protection via duplication, and seamless expansion of storage. Nothing else is being removed.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:08 PM
  • I'd like to hear officially what the feature set is going to be. I don't believe
    you can speak on behalf of Microsoft.

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 19:08:49 +0000, Ken Warren [MVP] wrote:

>The only feature being removed is Drive Extender. DE encompasses local data protection via duplication, and seamless expansion of storage. Nothing else is being removed.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Thursday, December 9, 2010 10:11 AM
  • Have you read the blog posts? I'm effectively repeating what they said.

But we've already established that:

1. I don't work for Microsoft.
    2. Only a Microsoft employee is going to speak for Microsoft.

So go ask Microsoft yourself, Barb. Let us know what they tell you. Perhaps: <crickets>?

Thursday, December 9, 2010 10:57 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  I expected as much.  For me I don't mind using RAID as I am comfortable spending a decent amount on drives to have RAID 1 protection.  The features I really like are easy backup of my computers, remote access to files and now the ability to stream videos over the web.  This works very well for my daughter to watch her favorite cartoons at her grandparents. 

Is there any word on when the next Beta will be released?  I will have to go back to V1 before the Beta runs out if there is not a new Beta.  I am not worried about flattening my server as I expected to have to do so when I installed a Beta.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:50 PM
  • I believe one of the Microsoft blog posts mentioned mid-January as a possible release time for a new beta. But please don't hold me to that. :)

And that does mean that your current beta installation may expire, by the way. If you have data that needs to be preserved, do so before that occurs.

• Marked as answer by Nobigwoo Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:20 PM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:28 PM