Cannot even install - Load drivers fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Fujitsu TX150 S3 with a replacement 64 bit capable CPU installed.

It runs 4 73GB disks from the on board raid controller which has been setup as a single 220odd GB single drive.

I've tried all the drivers from floppies I can find up to Win server 2003, all fail the "Load drivers" as it cannot see any disks message.

Ghost v3 can restore my old image quite happily, so there's nothing wrong with the hardware.

Any help in installing would be gratefully received

Mike

Monday, May 24, 2010 7:33 AM

Answers

• You will need drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2, which I don't see on Fujitsu's support site for your server. Without those drivers, there is probably no OS support for whatever RAID controller is being used.

Probably your best bet will be to contact Fujitsu to find out how, or if, you can install a Windows Server 2008 R2-based operating system on your server. You can also try breaking your array and installing with individual disks; if you choose to do that you will need larger disks, though.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 24, 2010 11:59 AM
  • Vail is designed to be significantly more resilient to the types of failures that commodity hardware tends to be subject to than V1.
    • Marked as answer by MKS_0 Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:53 PM

All replies

• You will need drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2, which I don't see on Fujitsu's support site for your server. Without those drivers, there is probably no OS support for whatever RAID controller is being used.

Probably your best bet will be to contact Fujitsu to find out how, or if, you can install a Windows Server 2008 R2-based operating system on your server. You can also try breaking your array and installing with individual disks; if you choose to do that you will need larger disks, though.

Monday, May 24, 2010 11:59 AM
  • HI,

I presumed that all I need is a driver for the card, and as its from a standard manufacturer, Windows would have one ready for use. I also presume I need one "decorated" for Server 2008 ?

I also tried breaking the array and just using one disk, but that failed as well. Seems the Raid box/card is supporting the drives as well in an individual state.

I'm also not sure why as single disks I'd need more, rather the opposite.

Raid gives me security by taking disk space for parity/backup etc so is always less than the total.

If I break the array the usable space gets bigger.

I'm always willing to learn so apologies if I got it wrong.

Also I have asked, Fujitsu only support 2003 for the machine.

Mike

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:39 PM
  • Drivers: Windows doesn't include "in box" drivers for every imaginable piece of hardware, I'm afraid. RAID drivers are unlikely to be included at all, since there are too many possibilities and (for the most part) server manufacturers tweak drivers for their own hardware. If you know who makes the RAID HBA, you can see if they have drivers, but otherwise you're likely to be out of luck.

Drive size: Vail requires at least one drive of 160 GB or more to serve as the system drive; it sounds like all of yours are smaller.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

I've 4 - 73GB drives, if I can get them accepted as a single drive, that's enough to start with.

I'm surprised at the statement of 160GB though, there was nothing in the adverts/sign-up about that kind of requirement.

I've managed to get a driver for the HBA, even a 64 bit one, for server 2008, but it still refuses to use the drivers.

I suppose that the intention is to use bog standard home use pc hardware, stuff that fails quickly. I've tried to use a hardware platform that will last for a while, looks like I'll have to give up then.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:35 PM
  • The 160GB requirement is in the Release notes page 4.
    Also here : http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowshomeserver/
    (post : Wanna Peek at the Next Version of Windows Home Server? Check out the new public beta for Windows Home Server, Code Name “Vail”"

How much clearer should it be?

Have a nice day!

"MKS_0" wrote in message news:4e8abdab$356e$4fdd$89b2$f41d04a3602b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Hi,

I've 4 - 73GB drives, if I can get them accepted as a single drive, that's enough to start with.

I'm surprised at the statement of 160GB though, there was nothing in the adverts/sign-up about that kind of requirement.

I've managed to get a driver for the HBA, even a 64 bit one, for server 2008, but it still refuses to use the drivers.

I suppose that the intention is to use bog standard home use pc hardware, stuff that fails quickly. I've tried to use a hardware platform that will last for a while, looks like I'll have to give up then.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Vail is designed to be significantly more resilient to the types of failures that commodity hardware tends to be subject to than V1.
    • Marked as answer by MKS_0 Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:53 PM