New to SyncToy RRS feed

• Question

• The White Paper deals solely with pictures. I wish to sync an XP desktop with a Vista Laptop, and would like to know what files SyncToy can deal with e.g. Can I sync Outlook ( Sent, Inbox etc.)with Windows mail and IE 7 Favourites with Firefox Bookmarks? In short what disparate types of file can I sync (as well as pictures)?

Regards A. Blackburn
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:33 AM

Answers

• SyncToy uses the File Sync Provider that can sync files in the file system.

So you cannot sync Outlook folders with Windows mail - you can only sync the Outlook PST file to another location. For syncing Outlook folders to Windows mail, you would have to write providers that would use the Sync Framework to synchronize.

I would assume the same for syncing IE 7 favorites with Firefox Bookmarks. However, if you want to keep your IE 7 favorites sync up across all your machines, you can use the Live Favorites toolbar, which uses the Sync Framework.

• Marked as answer by A. Blackburn Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:43 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:34 PM

All replies

• SyncToy uses the File Sync Provider that can sync files in the file system.

So you cannot sync Outlook folders with Windows mail - you can only sync the Outlook PST file to another location. For syncing Outlook folders to Windows mail, you would have to write providers that would use the Sync Framework to synchronize.

I would assume the same for syncing IE 7 favorites with Firefox Bookmarks. However, if you want to keep your IE 7 favorites sync up across all your machines, you can use the Live Favorites toolbar, which uses the Sync Framework.

• Marked as answer by A. Blackburn Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:43 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I am not too sure how to use the Forum yet, so please forgive any lapses in protocol.
    Further to my initial query. Can I sync pictures between Vista Photo Gallery and Xp's My Pictures, and can i get a list of what can be synchronises between Vista and XP.

I also saw a discussion about corruption of .jpeg files and and also access problems to one half of the sync pairs, but cannot find the entries.

I have only just replied to you as I was expecting a notification from the system - maybe I didn't check the box.
    As you see i am a bit lost so I should be glad if you could help me or point me in the right direction.

A. Blackburn

Friday, July 10, 2009 9:35 AM